Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 09:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

is it good to go for GMAT Prep 1.0 before taking GMAT Prep 2

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 599 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
is it good to go for GMAT Prep 1.0 before taking GMAT Prep 2 [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2013, 11:20
Expert's post
I have access to both Prep 1 and Prep 2.
Will it be right to take GMAT Prep 1.0 before taking GMAT Prep 2.0?
Will there be any repeats? Is it better to go for GMAT Prep 2.0 before taking GMAT Prep 1.0?
Also as per the latest MGMAT algorithm, the MGMAT's scores are how much lower than the that of actual exam?
Which tests are closest representatives of the actual exam?
Regards.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 123 [4] , given: 79

Re: is it good to go for GMAT Prep 1.0 before taking GMAT Prep 2 [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2013, 22:20
This post received
KUDOS
I have some bad news, Marcab: GMATPrep 1.0 and GMATPrep 2.0 contain exactly the same questions. The GMATPrep 2.0 software looks nicer, but it seems to use the same question bank for both test 1 and test 2, so you're not even guaranteed to get fresh questions when you take the second test. If you have the choice, I would recommend using the older software for quant and verbal, since the question banks are distinct for the two tests within that program. The only problem is that the old software doesn't contain the Integrated Reasoning section, but I suppose you could substitute with questions from some other resource...?

Maybe somebody from Manhattan GMAT can chime in on this, but I'm pretty sure that they do extensive testing on their own algorithm, and test takers will, on average, earn roughly the same score on the MGMAT tests as on the actual GMAT. But everybody is different, and I'm pretty convinced that GMAT students who intensively study MGMAT materials will do disproportionately well on MGMAT exams, since they're accustomed to MGMAT's question-writing style. On the other hand, MGMAT's quant questions are wordier and more difficult than actual GMAT questions, and some test-takers get really, really stubborn on MGMAT tests, and their scores suffer as a result, even though the MGMAT algorithm seems to compensate for the increased difficulty of their questions.

So I guess the bottom line is that MGMAT tests are pretty darned good, but any individual GMAT student might do better or worse on them, depending on their background and test-taking habits.

I would argue that no "unofficial" test is ever going to be a perfect copy of the actual exam, since the GMAT questions and scoring system are so incredibly nuanced. MGMAT does an an amazing job, but their scores may or may not be accurate for any individual test-taker. So do your best to learn from every practice test, but take the scores with a grain of salt, unless you're using completely fresh GMATPrep tests.

I hope this helps!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 599 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: is it good to go for GMAT Prep 1.0 before taking GMAT Prep 2 [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2013, 23:29
Expert's post
That has indeed helped Ninja.
One more thing I need to ask: What is the difficulty level of Question Pack 1? Am I really going to see such questions on actual exam?
I am doing the questions from the pack but seriously after being tortured by GMAT Club tests, the quant seems pretty easy. In verbal SC is too easy, though the difficulty level of CR is good.
So can you please throw some light on whether the Question Pack 1 actually emulates the difficulty of the actual questions.
Regards.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 123 [1] , given: 79

Re: is it good to go for GMAT Prep 1.0 before taking GMAT Prep 2 [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 12:07
This post received
KUDOS
Generally speaking, I think the GMATPrep Question Pack questions are very representative, but it's sort of like the OG questions: if you're going to score above a 700 (and you will, Marcab!), then only the hardest 30-60% are indicative of the sorts of questions you'll see on the actual exam. You're unlikely to see the "easy" questions if you're a high scorer, but I'd argue the "hard" and, to a lesser degree, the "medium" questions are a pretty good representation of the real thing. I actually think that the hardest of the "hard" quant questions are pretty brutal, and will give you a good workout.

I think most of us agree that the GMAT Club quant questions are, on average, tougher than what you'll see on the real GMAT, and that's exactly makes them a wonderful practice resource. :) It's not necessarily a huge surprise that you find some of the GMATPrep Question Pack exercises easy in comparison, but there are still some vicious questions in that software, and you'll probably learn a lot from at least some of them.

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Re: is it good to go for GMAT Prep 1.0 before taking GMAT Prep 2   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2013, 12:07