Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 10:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is it just me or is Kaplan Verbal very tough?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is it just me or is Kaplan Verbal very tough? [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 20:13
abhicoolmax wrote:
akhileshgupta05 wrote:
I will take GMATPrep 1 at the end of this month.

You meant retake, correct? So did you make sure, retaking GMATPrep 1 multiple times would not have any affect on GMATPrep 2. I mean if there are repeats then it will skew the test 2 results.

Well as far as I have read on this forum - it shouldn't! But even if it does, its ok. I will take the final test on 20th no matter what. So skewed or perfect doesn't matter. I've had a very very long journey and this is where it all ends. I am just a step away from burning out!

GMAT done - a mediocre score but I still have a lot of grit in me

The last 20 days of my GMAT journey

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is it just me or is Kaplan Verbal very tough? [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 20:16
ebonn101 wrote:
Just my opinion, but I would almost anything by Kaplan. I found there to be too many LSAT influences in their material for my liking. OG12, Verbal Review 2nd Ed, and GMAT Prep, along with MGMAT will be your moneymakers (although there is some crossover between GMAT Prep tests and VR 2ed). Maybe a little Princeton Review too (just a little). You won't get any closer to real GMAT verbal than the resources I wrote above.

I couldn't have agreed more! I have used LSAT Papers and during the test I felt that some CR questions were very similar to Logical Reasoning. Also quite many questions were from OG, just the wording had been changed making it all the more confusing!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is it just me or is Kaplan Verbal very tough? [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 20:41
akhileshgupta05 wrote:
Well as far as I have read on this forum - it shouldn't! But even if it does, its ok. I will take the final test on 20th no matter what. So skewed or perfect doesn't matter. I've had a very very long journey and this is where it all ends. I am just a step away from burning out!

Agreed! I am also feeling burnt out after a long journey :p, but well it's not over yet. But good thing, the end it near... I am just excited for the day when my GMAT is over.

Good luck! Just a few last strides...
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.5+ years IT Prof.
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 24

Re: Is it just me or is Kaplan Verbal very tough? [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 10:42
akhileshgupta05 wrote:
abhicoolmax wrote:
I think you still have 4 more MGMAT CATs to go. If I were you, I would focus on MGMAT, and then towards the start of last or penultimate week on the GMATPrep 2.

Have you considered retaking GMATPrep 1? I still don't know if the 2 sets are mutually exclusive, so I can't recommend.

I guess - Believe me man I am having a hard time breaching that V40. I will take GMATPrep 1 at the end of this month. Then other tests and then GMATPrep 2 when exactly 15 days are left. regardless of what score I get, I will take the GMAT on 20th. So I want to have plenty of time to work through every single GMATPrep problem!!!
But it would have really helped even if I got say a 720-730 on Kaplan!!! But, Oh well!

Kaplan Verbal is considered to be low scoring ..I've seen a lot of people reporting lower scores despite the lesser number of incorrect answers on Verbal section.

Dude..your Quant scores are amazing...Could you please share your Quant Study plan and the Study material that you referred?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Schulich, Rotman '15
GMAT Date: 03-28-2012
GPA: 2.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 9

Re: Is it just me or is Kaplan Verbal very tough? [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 11:31
struggling with the sentence correction myself, but i found the critical reasoning was quite fair, after I finish i'll post a more in depth opinion

“Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” - Greg Anderson

Follow my Journey at: nphelan-s-road-to-117533.html

Kudos? Don't mind if I do!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is it just me or is Kaplan Verbal very tough? [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 19:55
vivgmat wrote:

Dude..your Quant scores are amazing...Could you please share your Quant Study plan and the Study material that you referred?

Quant Chronologically:

R.S. Aggarwal - Known as the best workbook for Indian Competitive Exams
GMATclub forums + MGMAT 5 Strategy Guides (twice)
OG 12 - Twice
OG 11 - Unique questions
Quant Review 2nd Edition
MGMAT Advanced
Jeff Sackmann Extreme
About 15 Gmatclub Tests

That was the practise material I used.

Strategy:
First get a very strong grip on your basics - Spend the most time on this, no alternatives
Practise everything and anything you get - Before moving on to Official Material
Then Move on to official Stuff - And work through every problem - timed
Take a practise test to see your level - before moving on to advanced problems.
If you have a low score, analyse why - for sure there will be specific topics which you will be weak on - for example - I was weak on Combinatorics and Co-ordinate Geometry. But after practising a lot of topic specific questions - I am very strong in those topics.
Then to push your score to Q45 or beyond - its only practise and practise
Make sure you practise a chunk of problems - atleast 30 everyday without fail.

Hope this helps

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is it just me or is Kaplan Verbal very tough? [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 01:56
Here ye, Here ye

I took a free Knewton Mock scored a 760!!!!! Q50 V43
Its such a relief to see that score - Should ask Knewton for a money back course? 50 point increase or money back? :-D :-D

Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 21

Re: Is it just me or is Kaplan Verbal very tough? [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 02:15
akhileshgupta05 wrote:
Here ye, Here ye

Its such a relief to see that score - Should ask Knewton for a money back course? 50 point increase or money back? :-D :-D

Very good. I believe knewton's test is really good. To get the money back guarantee you will have to watch 36hrs video tutorial and do the core homework and complete 5 cats. Anyways keep up the performance, i am sure you will cross 750 easily.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is it just me or is Kaplan Verbal very tough? [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 02:18
Aj85 wrote:
akhileshgupta05 wrote:
Here ye, Here ye

Very good. I believe knewton's test is really good. To get the money back guarantee you will have to watch 36hrs video tutorial and do the core homework and complete 5 cats. Anyways keep up the performance, i am sure you will cross 750 easily.

Yeah. The Quant and Verbal sections were pretty good - very similar to the OG. The verbal was pretty tough - but healthily tough!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 21

Re: Is it just me or is Kaplan Verbal very tough? [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 02:23
you must have done only 2 or 3 questions incorrectly in maths to get such high quant score. I believe its quant is good too, may be just a little less easy than gmatprep, but its verbal section is on par with gmatprep. Most people complain that it skews your score down, but your quant score is really high. I had got (46q,45 V) with 6 mistakes in quant.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is it just me or is Kaplan Verbal very tough? [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 02:28
Aj85 wrote:
you must have done only 2 or 3 questions incorrectly in maths to get such high quant score. I believe its quant is good too, may be just a little less easy than gmatprep, but its verbal section is on par with gmatprep. Most people complain that it skews your score down, but your quant score is really high. I had got (46q,45 V) with 6 mistakes in quant.

I had 5 Mistakes in Quant and 6 mistakes in Verbal

Quant: Second question itself was a mistake! But then I got all other others correct up till the last 30th after which I had 4 more mistakes.
1. Silly Mistake
2. Too difficult Combinatorics
3. Silly Mistake
4. I do not accept this mistake because the question mentioned sides of a diamond and I forgot how many sides to use!!!
5. Had 15 secs left so guessed it.

Verbal:
Mostly those questions were incorrect in which I was left with 2 options! Some CR questions were too difficult. But perfect RC questions!

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 46

Re: Is it just me or is Kaplan Verbal very tough? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 05:43
akhileshgupta05 wrote:
abhicoolmax wrote:
I think you still have 4 more MGMAT CATs to go. If I were you, I would focus on MGMAT, and then towards the start of last or penultimate week on the GMATPrep 2.

Have you considered retaking GMATPrep 1? I still don't know if the 2 sets are mutually exclusive, so I can't recommend.

I guess - Believe me man I am having a hard time breaching that V40. I will take GMATPrep 1 at the end of this month. Then other tests and then GMATPrep 2 when exactly 15 days are left. regardless of what score I get, I will take the GMAT on 20th. So I want to have plenty of time to work through every single GMATPrep problem!!!
But it would have really helped even if I got say a 720-730 on Kaplan!!! But, Oh well!

Hey abhi and akhilesh
i think we are almost in the same boat guys
wish you all the best
and keep sharing your experiences

WarLocK

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is it just me or is Kaplan Verbal very tough? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 05:51
Warlock007 wrote:
Hey abhi and akhilesh
wish you all the best

Thanks man. Trying to figure out the last piece of the puzzle - SC :). Lately my CR and RC accuracy has gone up remarkably (CR still timing is a bit concern), and I am getting all beasty SCs in my CATs and getting most (even up to 12/16) of them wrong :p. Next 2 weeks I will have to give my heart and soul to SC, and hope it finally works out. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 46

Re: Is it just me or is Kaplan Verbal very tough? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 06:01
abhicoolmax wrote:
Warlock007 wrote:
Hey abhi and akhilesh
wish you all the best

Thanks man. Trying to figure out the last piece of the puzzle - SC :). Lately my CR and RC accuracy has gone up remarkably (CR still timing is a bit concern), and I am getting all beasty SCs in my CATs and getting most (even up to 12/16) of them wrong :p. Next 2 weeks I will have to give my heart and soul to SC, and hope it finally works out. Good luck!

hey abhi
i started it with SC man
as its highest in nos and weighs quite a lot and also we can improve it with our hardwork unline RC .. :( :(

hey abhi & akhilesh

please post on the post below guys
we will compile a useful sheet
verbal-scoring-118499.html

WarLocK

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 110

Re: Is it just me or is Kaplan Verbal very tough? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 01:42
I also recently took a Kaplan CAT and found results rather disturbing.

Quant Score: 50 (32 correct; 5 wrong)
Verbal Score: 31 (22 correct, 19 wrong) (Man, this sucks !!!)
Total Score: 620 !!!

I do not understand the algorithm used. As far as I have read on the forums and other score estimators, 50 and 31 usually give a score in the range of 650-690. This drop to 620 was shocking !!!

The verbal, as already discussed above, was a disaster really. I got 4 RC passages of 5-6 paragraphs each. On 3 of those RC passages, got just 3 questions per passage and 4 questions on the final RC. Took ages to read the passages. Moreover, questions were inference and roman numerals. Took ages to complete these questions.

CR was very lengthy too. Each argument had at least 3-4 very long sentences and counter-arguments were frequent. A lot of time was lost in just reading the complicated structures of the passages.

SC was manageable though I had to hurry through a couple of SC questions and that is where I made some mistakes.

Overall experience was shocking. I really hope that the real test does not feature questions of the type Kaplan does.

If this thread is indeed active, can someone please tell me if Knewton free test is worth it?

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Is it just me or is Kaplan Verbal very tough? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 03:11
siddharthmuzumdar wrote:
I also recently took a Kaplan CAT and found results rather disturbing.

Quant Score: 50 (32 correct; 5 wrong)
Verbal Score: 31 (22 correct, 19 wrong) (Man, this sucks !!!)
Total Score: 620 !!!

I do not understand the algorithm used. As far as I have read on the forums and other score estimators, 50 and 31 usually give a score in the range of 650-690. This drop to 620 was shocking !!!

The verbal, as already discussed above, was a disaster really. I got 4 RC passages of 5-6 paragraphs each. On 3 of those RC passages, got just 3 questions per passage and 4 questions on the final RC. Took ages to read the passages. Moreover, questions were inference and roman numerals. Took ages to complete these questions.

CR was very lengthy too. Each argument had at least 3-4 very long sentences and counter-arguments were frequent. A lot of time was lost in just reading the complicated structures of the passages.

SC was manageable though I had to hurry through a couple of SC questions and that is where I made some mistakes.

Overall experience was shocking. I really hope that the real test does not feature questions of the type Kaplan does.

If this thread is indeed active, can someone please tell me if Knewton free test is worth it?

I don't know what Kaplan CAT version you took but I took Kaplan CAT twice and scored less than 600 although I scored more than 700 in real test - and yes, Kaplan verbal section was really tough. Hence, you should take other tests also to confirm your level. GMAT Prep is definitively the best.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 110

Re: Is it just me or is Kaplan Verbal very tough? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 03:46
TrueLie wrote:
I don't know what Kaplan CAT version you took but I took Kaplan CAT twice and scored less than 600 although I scored more than 700 in real test - and yes, Kaplan verbal section was really tough. Hence, you should take other tests also to confirm your level. GMAT Prep is definitively the best.

Thanks for your help.
I will take the GMAT Prep tests soon. But I think I would be familiar with many questions from those tests by now because I have seen many questions on this forum from GMAT Prep tests. That is why, even though the scoring would be accurate, the scores as a whole, could very well be inflated.
Nonetheless, I will take each CAT twice to get a fair idea of the level of questions.

Btw, I have the Kaplan Premier 2010-2011 book. The CD came with that. The exact version of the tests that I took is 6.2.

Thanks for your help. :)

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Re: Is it just me or is Kaplan Verbal very tough?   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2012, 03:46