Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 11:13

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is it Normal to be getting Questions Wrong in the OG 12.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Is it Normal to be getting Questions Wrong in the OG 12. [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2010, 22:54
Hi,

I have been preparing for GMAT, past couple of months.
I am currently using OG12, OG Verbal, OG Quant, supplemented with MGMAT Verbal & Quant Strategies.

Particularly, I have found the last 50 questions of each section in OG difficult. Currently, I notice that I get
50% of the questions right, and no improvement in my conversion rate. This frustrates me as I desire to get a
score of atleast 750 not falling below 700.

Also, as I read the MGMAT Books, I've found that it is difficult to remember every concept after having read it
atleast two times, especially when it comes to SC.

After having read debrief's of some test takers, I find they've taken only 4 months to ace the GMAT. When I
compare my preparation progress, to the onces who've got 700 and above, I feel getting a 700 is not so
easy to achieve.

From what others say, and coupled with my own introspection, I feel that my stamina, concentration, and focus
is poor.

Any Suggestions on how to improve study methods.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2239

Kudos [?]: 8443 [1] , given: 3647

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Is it Normal to be getting Questions Wrong in the OG 12. [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2010, 23:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there - welcome to GMAT Club.
I think you are touching on many themes and topics at the same time.
To boil it down, you can't judge your performance from the OG 12, esp if you are not timing yourself. I would recommend taking MGMAT or another sample test and get a feel for your score, esp if you are done with Math or Verbal sections (you can take just the section you have completed prepping for).

P.S. you don't want to stretch out your prep for longer than 6 months - you start forgetting things.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 478 [1] , given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Is it Normal to be getting Questions Wrong in the OG 12. [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 06:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
It's completely normal to answer some of the OG questions incorrectly, especially toward the end. The OG problems are organized in terms of difficulty. The easiest problems are in the beginning, while the more difficult ones appear later.

Don't stress yourself over it too much. Treat the OG books as a way to reinforce the concepts learned from the MGMAT guides. And make sure to keep an Error Log. Make a note of every single incorrect answer and determine the reason why your choice was wrong (math error, time, no idea, etc.). And time yourself. If a question takes longer than two minutes to answer, then consider it incorrect. Redo the incorrect questions later.

If the concepts are not sinking yet, reread the MGMAT books. But you are probably strong in some areas and weak in others. That's why the Error Log is so important. It tells you which specific sections that you need to improve. That way, you won't have to read the entire book again.

Without question, scoring above a 700 is not easy. It takes months of proper studying and training. But it can be done. Right now, just don't let your OG experience discourage you. And once you have successfully finished the OG, move on to the GMATClub Tests.

Intern
Intern

Re: Is it Normal to be getting Questions Wrong in the OG 12. [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 01:34
Thanks millan and bb for your advice, very much appreciate. There is another question. How many practice tests would you'll recommend one should take before the Real Test Day.
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 478 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Is it Normal to be getting Questions Wrong in the OG 12. [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 05:49
Expert's post
The right number is hard to pin down, as everyone learns differently. I used the two GMATPrep Tests, the GMATClub Tests for quant, and the six Manhattan CAT's for verbal (I skipped the quant section). That was more than enough for me. Anymore would have been overkill.

One common mistake for prospective test takers involves taking too many tests. By all means use them to track your progress if you wish, but save a few a week or two before the real test and don't let them crowd out time needed for studying the concepts and reinforcing the material learned with questions.

Intern
Intern

Re: Is it Normal to be getting Questions Wrong in the OG 12. [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 11:58
bmillan01 wrote:
The right number is hard to pin down, as everyone learns differently. I used the two GMATPrep Tests, the GMATClub Tests for quant, and the six Manhattan CAT's for verbal (I skipped the quant section). That was more than enough for me. Anymore would have been overkill.

One common mistake for prospective test takers involves taking too many tests. By all means use them to track your progress if you wish, but save a few a week or two before the real test and don't let them crowd out time needed for studying the concepts and reinforcing the material learned with questions.

Thanks friend, It was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. There was a friend of mine suggesting that I take atleast 30 practice tests, which seemed like an overkill just as you re-iterated. I think re-inforcing concepts, and error log would help keep a balance. Will keep you updated.

Regards,
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is it Normal to be getting Questions Wrong in the OG 12. [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 18:37
bmillan01 wrote:

bmillan is right about the number of tests, and the ones he suggests are very good. The only difference with me, is that I like the Manhattan CATs for math only and like only official material for verbal. This is because I am stronger in verbal. I like the Manhattan CATs for math better than GMATClub Tests because the Manhattan CATs are adaptive and the GMATClub ones are not. Also you get a score at the end. However, once you exhaust the Manhattan CATs, definitely use the GMATClub tests as they are your best source of math problems other than OG and GMATPrep.
Re: Is it Normal to be getting Questions Wrong in the OG 12.   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2010, 18:37