Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 10:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

is it ok to leverage an offer with another school?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Dec 2012
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

is it ok to leverage an offer with another school? [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 15:24
I got into Michigan Ross, and I am wait-listed at Duke. Ross is very good as well but Duke is closer to home.

is it ok to inform Fuqua about my admission at Ross in order to gain admissions? I got two questions:

1. will this method work?
2. Is it "unethical" to do so? I am incredibly appreciative to receive an opportunity at Ross and I do not want to disrespect the school in anyway. Both schools are perfect for me, it really just comes down to geographical preference.

I appreciate any advices you have :!:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Joined: 28 Nov 2012
Posts: 71
Location: United States
Location: City of Angels
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 8

Re: is it ok to leverage an offer with another school? [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 15:55
People leverage offers all the time for fellowship offers. I have never heard of using it to successfully get off the waitlist.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 May 2010
Posts: 694
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 192 [1] , given: 627

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: is it ok to leverage an offer with another school? [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 16:23
1
This post received
KUDOS
Will it make them oversubscribe the class for you? Probably not. However, will they move you closer to the front of the line if they think you will definitely matriculate (and therefore boost their yield)? I think so.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 1083
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 436 [0], given: 448

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: is it ok to leverage an offer with another school? [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 06:05
kingfalcon is bang on.

and it is definitely not unethical, just mention in your update why you still want Duke to happen for you, and you should be good.

congratulations on the admit btw.
_________________

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 592
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: is it ok to leverage an offer with another school? [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 06:13
I would recommend not pressuring them with an offer from another school. People might view it as an ultimatum and nobody really takes well to them. It would be better if you simply inform admissions that Duke is your top choice and that if you are admitted that you will definitely attend. Also, there are other strategic things that you can do to enhance your candidacy while on the WL, but you have to be strategic about how to handle this.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy evaluation!
_________________

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Dec 2012
Posts: 31
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Re: is it ok to leverage an offer with another school? [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 06:19
jontron wrote:
People leverage offers all the time for fellowship offers. I have never heard of using it to successfully get off the waitlist.


I am very curious as to how you do that without alienating anyone? I got into one of the H/S/W/B and one of Duke/Berkeley/Yale (with scholarship for the latter) but my first choice is McCombs. I got accepted to McCombs but without a scholarship. I will definitely go to McCombs if they give me a big scholarship (>60%) but I am afraid there is no way I don't go to H/S/W/B if McCombs is only marginally cheaper (tuition a bit lower and living expenses lower but not by too much I think).
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Posts: 12
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: is it ok to leverage an offer with another school? [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2012, 00:34
Sure, why not? this is business... as long as you do it politely and tastefully.
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Too close for missiles, switching to guns.
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 762
Location: United States
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 163

Premium Member
Re: is it ok to leverage an offer with another school? [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2012, 07:20
RR666 wrote:

I am very curious as to how you do that without alienating anyone? I got into one of the H/S/W/B and one of Duke/Berkeley/Yale (with scholarship for the latter) but my first choice is McCombs. I got accepted to McCombs but without a scholarship. I will definitely go to McCombs if they give me a big scholarship (>60%) but I am afraid there is no way I don't go to H/S/W/B if McCombs is only marginally cheaper (tuition a bit lower and living expenses lower but not by too much I think).


I would say to be honest with McCombs and tell them that they are your No.1 choice, but you have a scholarship offer from the Duke/Berkeley/Yale school and that cost is an important factor. They may match it.

However, I would not go with the strategy of saying "I got into H/S/W/B, so a school of your caliber should be offering me a scholarship." That's how you alienate people.
_________________

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 1346
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 94

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: is it ok to leverage an offer with another school? [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2012, 08:18
RR666 wrote:
jontron wrote:
People leverage offers all the time for fellowship offers. I have never heard of using it to successfully get off the waitlist.


I am very curious as to how you do that without alienating anyone? I got into one of the H/S/W/B and one of Duke/Berkeley/Yale (with scholarship for the latter) but my first choice is McCombs. I got accepted to McCombs but without a scholarship. I will definitely go to McCombs if they give me a big scholarship (>60%) but I am afraid there is no way I don't go to H/S/W/B if McCombs is only marginally cheaper (tuition a bit lower and living expenses lower but not by too much I think).

You do it very tactfully. Every situation is different. You can't just say, "Dear McComb's, Duke/Berkeley/Yale just ponied up $XXK for me. What are you bringing to the table?" I was able to do it last year, but I asked nicely, stressed how much I wanted to go to their school, and asked for a specific $$ amount. I was also able to make a case for why cost was an important criteria in my decision on where to attend school.

As for the OP's question, it might be a bit in bad taste to in so many words say, "School X wants so you better hurry up and take me off the waitlist." Sure you'd be more tactful than that, but that's still the general message and it may alienate Fuqua. Getting into one school is not a reason for another to let you in. Base your WL updates on improvements to your profile, a sincere desire to attend, and additional recommendations from Fuquans (I've heard that these can help). Good luck and wherever you end up I am sure you'll have a great experience.
_________________

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com
Image

Current Student
User avatar
Status: Too close for missiles, switching to guns.
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 762
Location: United States
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 163

Premium Member
Re: is it ok to leverage an offer with another school? [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2012, 08:40
anonymousmang wrote:
I got into Michigan Ross, and I am wait-listed at Duke. Ross is very good as well but Duke is closer to home.

is it ok to inform Fuqua about my admission at Ross in order to gain admissions? I got two questions:

1. will this method work?
2. Is it "unethical" to do so? I am incredibly appreciative to receive an opportunity at Ross and I do not want to disrespect the school in anyway. Both schools are perfect for me, it really just comes down to geographical preference.

I appreciate any advices you have :!:


Something that really hasn't been mentioned yet is that while updating Duke with significant accomplishments and showing a desire to attend may in the end get you off the wait-list, don't expect it to happen soon. I'm not sure if Duke reviews WL candidates in subsequent rounds, but you may very well be in the position where you have to put a deposit down with Ross to avoid losing that seat and keep hoping Duke will come calling and be willing to eat that loss if the call comes.
_________________

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Re: is it ok to leverage an offer with another school?   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2012, 08:40
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Accepted but another offer pending bishop25 0 28 Jul 2014, 14:20
Leveraging Off of Waitlist Using Scholarship Offers krudget 2 08 Jan 2013, 15:56
Applying to other schools for finaid leverage? soniam 1 11 Sep 2009, 07:39
Experts publish their posts in the topic what schools offer scholarships? thewalrus8 2 28 Dec 2007, 08:38
asking a school to match another school's scholarship offer? WBF 23 12 Feb 2007, 17:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

is it ok to leverage an offer with another school?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.