Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 06:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is it possible to get into an M7 coming from a state school?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Is it possible to get into an M7 coming from a state school? [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 22:54
Is it possible to get into an M7 school, or even schools just outside that like Tuck, Stern, etc. if you go to a state school and don't work in investment banking/consulting or have an incredibly unique background (i.e. army, peace corps, olympic medalist, etc.)? I keep hearing that all those schools basically choose people solely off of work experience, and that even working in corp finance is considered average, so how the hell do you get into a good school without curing cancer?

I have decent grades (should graduate with a 3.5+), I'm going to do everything in my power to destroy the GMAT (730+ is my goal), but banking/consulting just isn't going to happen. My school's network for that is garbage and there's basically no hope. The most I can do is corporate/commercial banking at a Bulge Bracket, but it feels like anything outside of I-banking, Consulting, and blackstone private equity won't get you into HSW, so I'm wondering what the hell I can do?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [1] , given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is it possible to get into an M7 coming from a state school? [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 19:43
This post received
KUDOS
I'm certainly no expert but I figure that if you do what you love then you'll do it with all of your might. You'll have leadership stories, impress people, be entrusted with managing resources in due time. If you can convey to an admissions committee that you bring those attributes to an MBA program then you might be able to differentiate yourself from the tons of other people. That's my plan at least because I'm in a similar situation. I graduated with an Econ degree from a state school w/ a 3.5 and now I'm a product manager analyst for an insurance company. It doesn't pay what I wanted and it's not I-banking but I'm one of the few people in the country who has a front row seat and a direct role in managing a product for a Fortune 500 company that is gobbling up market share year after year from every major competitor. I love it. And I hope to use that to my advantage come application time when I apply next year. I think if you'll be you and find something you love enough to bust your hump then you'll be fine. Good luck though, Marakon8.

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is it possible to get into an M7 coming from a state school? [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 11:04
Without a doubt, an enequivocal YES. While Ivy's and Private schools do some favors in life, Business Schools are not set up against that.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is it possible to get into an M7 coming from a state school? [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 12:46
This post received
KUDOS
Yes. There is a pretty diverse mix of undergrad alma maters in the CBS Class of 2012. I went to a state school (not a UVA/Michigan/Berkeley either).
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is it possible to get into an M7 coming from a state school? [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 14:29
Expert's post
Hi marakon8,

It is very possible to be accepted into a top business school. In one situation, we had a client from the University of Michigan who had a sub 3.0 GPA, and he was admitted into both Columbia and Chicago.

What is most important is that you create message that you want an admissions team to take away after reading your application, and then reinforce this brand message in your personal essays and letters of recommendations. Your work experience and GMAT score are important because they are also part of this message.

If you'd like more information on your specific candidacy, you can sign up for a free 30 minute phone call with the Stacy Blackman Team at:

http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Don't be discouraged about not having attended a top undergraduate university or having worked in banking.

I hope this was of help.

Best,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.26
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 16

Re: Is it possible to get into an M7 coming from a state school? [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 15:02
I can only hope so as I'm in the same situation as you! :)
Re: Is it possible to get into an M7 coming from a state school?   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2011, 15:02