Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is it realistic to expect more than 610?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Is it realistic to expect more than 610? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2005, 09:17
Is it realistic to get more than 610 when you have not scored more than 530 in your GMAT score in practice?

My problem areas are permutations and combinations and some part of Geometry.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2005, 09:30
axl_oz,

Can you tell us what kind of practice tests you've been taking? (e.g. Princeton Review, Kaplan, Powerprep) Kaplan tests are generally harder than other practice tests.

My instinct tells me that you probably need to study more. I'm assuming that you scored higher in the verbal?

I would concentrate more on geometry than permutation/combination. In my own experience (as a high-600 scorer), I've gotten one or two permutation/combination problems on the actual exams. Those weren't too difficult either.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2005, 09:30
It depends what CAT you used. If it is Kaplan, then yes it is possible to be above 610 in the actual test. Otherwise, test prep are only indicative with many people scoring patterns being way off from their practice tests

Best Regards,

Paul

CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2005, 10:33
Assuming that the 530 is anywhere near your true score, I would concentrate far more on the geometry questions than combinations. Remember that a score of 530 is near the center of the distribution- you need to emphasize the basics rather than the questions intended to discriminate among students at the far right tail.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2005, 11:37
I have taken the Kaplan and the princeton review. Couple of areas of concern that I have are: -

1. I have gotten 560 in the first Kaplan exam, 570 in the 2nd Kaplan Exam.
2. After that I gave the Princeton Review exam and I got a 500 and part of the problem I attribute it to is time management. I did not manage my time effectively. But after that I have not scored anywhere close to 570 or 560 or any improvement in the score. It has been frustrating since I am running out of time and I want to apply for a Part time MBA program (Weekend MBA) and the timelines for those are close to March end time frame. With this score in my practice exams and my choice of school that I wish to apply to, it almost seems uncertain if I will be able to get into the school of my choice.

Which is the best book for Geometry that I can refer to. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Axl_OZ
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2005, 11:52
A good place to start is the description of the Q section in the OG. Read it carefully and make certain that you understand the scope of coverage.
  [#permalink] 11 Feb 2005, 11:52