Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is it TOO late?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Is it TOO late? [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 18:25
I understand that there are all types of determining factors but here is my general situation:

I have been studying for the GMAT and just took a practice CAT and scored 500. I was planning to take the actual exam at the end of December but I am looking to score around 650-700. This would allow me to finish my application for some of 2nd and 3rd round application cycles to some of the top 100 schools that I have been researching.

I am trying to decide if I should put off the exam and take it mid February and apply for the final admission rounds or just forgo 2013? I would prefer not to put it off another year for I am 32 years of age already and another year would put me behind in my goals. I have a lot of personal reasons of why this has been delayed for so long, but I am finally able to focus on myself and my goal of receiving an MBA.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is it TOO late? [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 18:38
For full-time programs, I would recommend that you apply this year as you are reaching the outer age limits of what most schools consider acceptable. So, do all you can to get your GMAT and application done as soon as you possibly can. I would also be selective about the schools that you apply to and focus your efforts on applying to schools that accept students during the later rounds.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 523 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is it TOO late? [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 01:43
Expert's post
My opinion is that one more year won't make a difference at this point. 100 points in the GMAT will though. Plus if you are only thinking of taking the GMAT in December, you will unlikely make any round 2 schools, and Round 3 is just too tough. So bite the bullet, do your best on the GMAT and plan for next year. You will have to kick the heck out of the GMAT though!!! So be prepared!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Re: Is it TOO late? [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 16:14
Expert's post
Since you still have to get GMAT out of your way, ( it's already third week of of November), I would also recommended that your focus should now be on working towards getting an excellent GMAT score and then give yourself enough time for putting together other parts of the application package ( resume, recos and essays (which is the most time-consuming process) for next year. If I were you, I would worry about putting together a stellar application rather than getting older by one year.
I hope it helped.

MyEssayReview - A personalized and dedicated essay-review service
Email:poonam@myessayreview.com

Image Image Image

Re: Is it TOO late?   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2012, 16:14