Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 00:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is Kaplan too simple - will it help?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Sauder,Cornell,McGill
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 4

Is Kaplan too simple - will it help? [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 02:33
Greetings Everyone,

I have started preparing for GMAT from 2nd August this year.

I am through with the first section of Kaplan Math Workbook and somehow have a feeling that its too simple. Can someone please let me know if it would be worth it to continue with the book - or should I go for something else.

I am just very confused!!!!

~~RookieR~~

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 398 [1] , given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Is Kaplan too simple - will it help? [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 05:26
This post received
KUDOS
That really all depends on what your needs are. Some people only need simple refreshers and some general tips on standardized tests. If that's the case for you, then Kaplan might be all you need.

My case: I benefited very little from Kaplan. The Kaplan program did not address my deficiencies nor provide me with adequate feedback to come up with a study plan. Two friends of mine took the Kaplan classroom program, one scored a 700 and the other scored a 750.

Knowing what I know now, I could have self studied. To solidify myself, I opted for the MGMAT program.

Have you gone through the threads for beginners and/or taken a diagnostic test to assess where you are?

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Is Kaplan too simple - will it help? [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 05:41
mohater wrote:
That really all depends on what your needs are. Some people only need simple refreshers and some general tips on standardized tests. If that's the case for you, then Kaplan might be all you need.

My case: I benefited very little from Kaplan. The Kaplan program did not address my deficiencies nor provide me with adequate feedback to come up with a study plan. Two friends of mine took the Kaplan classroom program, one scored a 700 and the other scored a 750.

Knowing what I know now, I could have self studied. To solidify myself, I opted for the MGMAT program.

Have you gone through the threads for beginners and/or taken a diagnostic test to assess where you are?

Thanks mohater!

Yes I have given the diagnostic test and know that baring a few topics such as Number Properties/Geometry and Permutation/Combination I need only brief refreshers.

Gioven the info you have shared - I guess combining MGMAT for these topics and finishing off
Kaplan might work for me.... :)

Thanks a bunch appreciate your help (Kudos to you)

~~RookieR~~

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2278

Kudos [?]: 8803 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Is Kaplan too simple - will it help? [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 08:55
Expert's post
Agree with Mohater - tell us your raw Quant score and we'll answer your question. By chapter 1 you mean Arithmetic? (that's probably the most important chapter in the book)

Keep in mind that GMAT is really about basics. It is a little about fancy probabilities (but those are only 1 question per test). I see this mistake done over and over again - a person will know how to solve probability and combinations questions but not how to solve \frac{x}{y} where y < 0 and as the result - they never get to that one probability question they know how to solve. Sad but it repeats itself over and over.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern

Re: Is Kaplan too simple - will it help? [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 21:55
Hi bb and Mohater,

My raw score in the gmat club diagnostic test for maths was 25.

~~RookieR~~

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2278

Kudos [?]: 8803 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Is Kaplan too simple - will it help? [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 22:00
Expert's post
rookieR wrote:
Hi bb and Mohater,

My raw score in the gmat club diagnostic test for maths was 25.

have you taken gmatprep?

Posted from my mobile device Image

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern

Re: Is Kaplan too simple - will it help? [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 22:09
not yet

~~RookieR~~

Intern
Intern

Re: Is Kaplan too simple - will it help? [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 05:10
hi bb - would you please guide me?

for now I am going ahead with the Kaplan Workbook. I plan to follow this up with MGMAT series for areas that I identify as my weaknesses.

Is this a correct approach?

~~RookieR~~

GMAT Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 234

Re: Is Kaplan too simple - will it help? [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 05:15
rookieR wrote:
hi bb - would you please guide me?

for now I am going ahead with the Kaplan Workbook. I plan to follow this up with MGMAT series for areas that I identify as my weaknesses.

Is this a correct approach?

rookieR,

That can work for you. One of the main keys with preparation for the GMAT is to ensure when you're studying, you're actually benefiting from the time spent. Far too many people prepping for the GMAT (on this forum and otherwise) spend countless hours studying and see little to no benefit.

The key is to identify the deficiencies and figure out how to address them

The MGMAT practice test provides the best feedback, while the GMATPrep is the most applicable as it was made by the GMAC group (the people who run the GMAT). Once you get a MGMAT book, you'll have access to six online exams w/a promise for no overlap in questions.

Make sure you read the AWA guide as well:
how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Last edited by mohater on 14 Aug 2009, 04:47, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Is Kaplan too simple - will it help? [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 11:53
I am just getting started. but i noticed kaplan has an advanced class that requires 600+. Since I'm shooting for a top program that seems logical. mgmat doesnt appear to have any advanced class or a moneyback :shock:
GMAT Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 234

Re: Is Kaplan too simple - will it help? [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 09:53
gmatterking wrote:
I am just getting started. but i noticed kaplan has an advanced class that requires 600+. Since I'm shooting for a top program that seems logical. mgmat doesnt appear to have any advanced class or a moneyback :shock:

Be very wary of the fine print.

Current Student
Schools: Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is Kaplan too simple - will it help? [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 13:28
gmatterking wrote:

check out Knewton online - hearing good feedbacks and also money back guarantee ( 50+ of your diagnostic or old GMAT score)
Re: Is Kaplan too simple - will it help?   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2009, 13:28