Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.85
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q39 V34
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: PMI
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE:Operations (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Is Kenan-Flagler prestigious enough to help me break into consulting [#permalink]
Kudos
rodrigocani wrote:
Hi!

I'm a 1st-year at Kenan-Flagler trying to switch career to Consulting, so I hope my answer can help you. I will throw some bullets below with what I got to know from these last couple of months here at Chapell Hill:

- Consulting seems to be the most wanted career for the 1st-years this year
- 2nd-years (the ones in the report you saw) that were already working in Consulting/U.S prior to the b-school: 5 (just considering MBB+Deloitte).
- 2nd-years who got into MBB+Deloitte: 12, of which just 1 was counted above (from Deloitte and went to McKinsey). 5 to MBB and 7 to Deloitte.
- All consulting jobs overall, 40 2nd-years got their summers in Consulting (I'm including all consulting roles here).

I can add also that the Consulting Club here is pretty strong, with amazing and really competent people managing it. There is a lot of training sessions and mentoring for people wanting to land into Consulting. Also, Kenan-Flagler has a very strong presence in the Atlanta/Charlotte region (D.C too actually). Various alumni work in the top consulting firms in those offices.

I believe you will be well served to recruit for Consulting here. Off course that some other schools might be stronger for Consulting, but think about all the competition that exists and especially in the location you want to work - it's not only about the consulting firm, but also about their office location (proximity to each bschool helps).

I hope I was clear! All the best!

I attended an interactive event with Dr B, the Assoc Dean. He mentioned most of the students at UNC having successfully changed careers, including into consulting. Another aspect highlighted was that North Highland recruited about 20. NH seemed to be the favourite at UNC, especially for Gen Y, for work culture of local offices instead of the typical Consultant lifestyle of living off suitcases.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Re: Is Kenan-Flagler prestigious enough to help me break into consulting [#permalink]
Just to add about North Highland: yes, they hired a lot of full time positions last year (17 I believe). But they don't hire internationals unfortunately. Deloitte, however, do hire and they have a really strong presence here at Kenan-Flagler. The UNC Kenan-Flagler network at Deloitte is big. For the MBB, it started to increase (little by little...), which is good as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.85
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
rodrigocani wrote:
Hi!

I'm a 1st-year at Kenan-Flagler trying to switch career to Consulting, so I hope my answer can help you. I will throw some bullets below with what I got to know from these last couple of months here at Chapell Hill:

- 2nd-years (the ones in the report you saw) that were already working in Consulting/U.S prior to the b-school: 5 (just considering MBB+Deloitte).
- 2nd-years who got into MBB+Deloitte: 12, of which just 1 was counted above (from Deloitte and went to McKinsey). 5 to MBB and 7 to Deloitte.
- All consulting jobs overall, 40 2nd-years got their summers in Consulting (I'm including all consulting roles here).

I can add also that the Consulting Club here is pretty strong, with amazing and really competent people managing it. There is a lot of training sessions and mentoring for people wanting to land into Consulting. Also, Kenan-Flagler has a very strong presence in the Atlanta/Charlotte region (D.C too actually). Various alumni work in the top consulting firms in those offices.

I believe you will be well served to recruit for Consulting here. Off course that some other schools might be stronger for Consulting, but think about all the competition that exists and especially in the location you want to work - it's not only about the consulting firm, but also about their office location (proximity to each bschool helps).

Thanks rodrigocani and shyamnambiar. These replies have been very helpful. I heard people say that if you can't go top 10 or top 15 it's not worth it, so I was about to drop UNC from the list. It sounds like it could definitely help me accomplish my goals though, so I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I think I will apply. Good luck with your studies and career switch!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
goingconcern wrote:
rodrigocani wrote:
Hi!

Thanks rodrigocani and shyamnambiar. These replies have been very helpful. I heard people say that if you can't go top 10 or top 15 it's not worth it, so I was about to drop UNC from the list. It sounds like it could definitely help me accomplish my goals though, so I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I think I will apply. Good luck with your studies and career switch!

You should definitely apply! And if you visit the school, you will be amazed by the people and the culture. If you want to get in touch with people with similar background to you, or who have worked in some specific companies or industries, just send me a pm and I will be glad to help you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I bumped into a second year the day I interviewed. Being me, I asked about his experience. I followed up with "did you get an internship/offer last summer?" "Yup. Bain."
Kind of all I needed to know about KF. Picked a random off the street and bam, top tier consulting offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived UNC Kenan-Flagler Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our UNC Kenan-Flagler Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated UNC Kenan-Flagler Forum for all fresh things related to the UNC Kenan-Flagler MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts