Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6508 [245]
Given Kudos: 100
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [71]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [21]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Sloan '16 (D)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
tejal777 wrote:
As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the twelfth century, most of the Monument Valley Anasazi abandoned their homes to join other clans whose access to water was less limited.

(A) whose access to water was less limited

(B) where there was access to water that was less limited

(C) where they had less limited water access

(D) with less limitations on water access

(E) having less limitations to water access

Concepts tested here: Pronouns + Verb Forms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• “few”/”a few” are exclusively used to refer to plural nouns and countable nouns, and “less”/”a little” are exclusively used to refer to singular nouns and uncountable nouns; “any”, “none”, “all”, and “some” can be used to refer to plural and uncountable nouns and singular and countable nouns.
• "where" is only used to refer to a physical place.
• "limitations + on + noun" is the correct idiomatic construction.
• The simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past.

A: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to the noun "clans" with "whose". Further, Option A correctly uses the simple past tense verb "was" to refer to an action that concluded in the past. Additionally, Option A correctly uses the phrase "less limited" to refer to the uncountable noun "access". Moreover, Option A avoids the idiom error seen in Option E, as it does not uses the word "limitations". Besides, Option A is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

B: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the noun "clans" with "where"; remember, "where" is only used to refer to a physical place. Further, Option B uses the needlessly wordy clause "there was access to water that was less limited", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

C: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the noun "clans" with "where"; remember, "where" is only used to refer to a physical place. Further, Option C uses the needlessly indirect clause "they had less limited water access", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: This answer choice incorrectly uses "less" to refer to the countable noun "limitations"; please remember, “few”/”a few” are exclusively used to refer to plural nouns and countable nouns, and “less”/”a little” are exclusively used to refer to singular nouns and uncountable nouns.

E: This answer choice incorrectly uses the present participle ("verb+ing" - "having" in this sentence) to refer to an action that concluded in the past; please remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past. Further, Option E incorrectly uses "less" to refer to the countable noun "limitations"; please remember, “few”/”a few” are exclusively used to refer to plural nouns and countable nouns, and “less”/”a little” are exclusively used to refer to singular nouns and uncountable nouns. Additionally, Option E incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "limitations + to + noun"; please remember, "limitations + on + noun" is the correct idiomatic construction.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [11]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
tejal777 wrote:
As rainfall began to decrease in the Southwest about the middle of the twelfth century, most of the Monument Valley Anasazi abandoned their homes to join other clans whose access to water was less limited.

A. whose access to water was less limited
B. where there was access to water that was less limited
C. where they had less limited water access
D. with less limitations on water access
E. having less limitations to water access

A. Correct:
"whose" refers to "other clans".
The singular verb "was" has the subject "access"....

B. "where" is wrong and "there was access to water that was less limited" double passive.
C. "where" is wrong and tense "had limited" is also incorrect.
D. "with less limitations on water access" awakward construction.
E. "having .................." awakward construction.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT Date: 11-29-2011
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
Wow thanks!

I'm struggling with the fact that the term limitations is countable.

EG.

There are more limitations on spending
There are many limitations on spending

my ear can't hear the correctness
also, is this different with limit and restriction?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [2]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Kudos
"where" is wrong. Eliminate B and C. "Having" in choice E is incorrect structure. Choice D, "less limitation" is not prefer than verb "less limited" follow V-A-N concision.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2544 [4]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Kudos
a. Correct
b. where modifies clan. this is wrong
c. where modifies clan. this is wrong
d. less to be used with countable noun limitations
e. less to be used with countable noun limitations
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4890 [6]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

CORRECT

"other clans" are not places, so "other clans where" is not logical

"with" is refered to "most of the Monument Valley Anasazi" or to "other clans"?

the use of "having" is not clear, what is it refered to?
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [2]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
mun23 wrote:

Need every options explanation

Pls find below the explanation to each answers;-

B. Passive cosntruction...its wordy.
C. Past perfect is wrong
D. This optyion has got two major issues:-
1. "with less limitations....." is a phrase of the dependent clause "their homes to join........"The clause mentioned does not has any verb.....
2. Meaning change "With less limitations" does not conveys the intended meaning...the intended meaning is the clan's water access was less limited" Not that it had lesser limitations...."I may be wrong here"
E. Again the same issue no verb for the clause starting with "their......" having is not a verb. Moreover having should used in a construction where you want to present an implied form....ie"having done this action, poor result is not expected"

Consider kudos if my post helps!!

Archit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 478 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012
Send PM
Kudos
Why option 'D' is wrong... "apart from awkaward wordy construction"
1) "with less limitation on water access" acts as preposition phrases and i am quite confuse whether it modife Anasazi or Clans?
2) prepositional phrases without comma as in above modify noun closer to it i.e. clans or can modify farther noun such as Anasazi too?
3)if prepositional phrases with comma is used in above case it will modify "clans"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 788 [2]
Given Kudos: 70
Kudos