Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:39 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 854 [307]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Consulting, Product Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools:McCombs 2011
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618584 [208]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [28]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [10]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Re: Is m + z > 0 (1) m - 3z > 0 (2) 4z - m > 0 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Video solution from Quant Reasoning starts at 11:40
Subscribe for more: https://www.youtube.com/QuantReasoning? ... irmation=1
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29893 [6]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Is m + z > 0 (1) m - 3z > 0 (2) 4z - m > 0 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
kman wrote:
Is m + z > 0?

(1) m - 3z > 0
(2) 4z - m > 0

Target question: Is m + z > 0?

Statement 1: m - 3z > 0
There are several values of m and z that satisfy statement 1. Here are two:
Case a: m = 10 and z = 1. In this case, the answer to the target question is YES, m + n is greater than zero
Case b: m = 1 and z = -2. In this case, the answer to the target question is NO, m + n is not greater than zero
Since we can’t answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: 4z - m > 0
There are several values of m and z that satisfy statement 2. Here are two:
Case a: m = 1 and z = 1. In this case, the answer to the target question is YES, m + n is greater than zero
Case b: m = -5 and z = 1. In this case, the answer to the target question is NO, m + n is not greater than zero
Since we can’t answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined
Statement 1 tells us that m - 3z > 0
Statement 2 tells us that 4z - m > 0

To make things clearer, let's rearrange the terms in the first inequality to get:
-3z + m > 0
4z - m > 0

Since the inequality symbols are facing the SAME direction, we can ADD the inequalities to get: z > 0
Perfect! We now know that z is positive, but we still need information about the value of m.
There are several ways to accomplish this. My approach is to take the system:
-3z + m > 0
4z - m > 0

Multiply both sides of the top inequality by 4, and multiply both sides of the bottom inequality by 3 to get the following equivalent system:
-12z + 4m > 0
12z - 3m > 0

Since the inequality symbols are facing the SAME direction, we can ADD the inequalities to get: m > 0

We now know that m and z are both positive, which means m + z > 0
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are SUFFICIENT

Answer: C

RELATED VIDEO
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1825 [6]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q49  V29
Send PM
Kudos
I will go with C.

From clue 1, m-3z > 0 here m, z can be positive or negative. So cannot say whether m + z > 0. Hence Insufficient.

From clue 2, 4z-m > 0, here m, z can be positive or negative. So cannot say whether m + z > 0. Hence Insufficient.

Cosider both the clues.

m-3z>0--->Ine1
4z-m>0 --->ine2

Add both the inequalities, z > 0.
m-3z > 0 ==> m > 3z. Since Z is positive m also should be positive.

So we can say that m+z > o. Hence sufficient.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
smitakokne wrote:
Is m+z > 0

1. m-3z > 0
2. 4z-m > 0

OA : C

Need help in underdstanding how we arrive at C.

Bunuel,

is m+z > 0 the same as m/z > -1 ?

if so, then 1. would be m/z > 3, which is SUFF
and 2. would be m/z < 4, which is INSUFF

so I would have said A

Please correct me if I'm wrong - my inequality skills are a bit rusty :oops:
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618584 [8]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
psirus wrote:
smitakokne wrote:
Is m+z > 0

1. m-3z > 0
2. 4z-m > 0

Bunuel,

is m+z > 0 the same as m/z > -1 ?

if so, then 1. would be m/z > 3, which is SUFF
and 2. would be m/z < 4, which is INSUFF

so I would have said A

Please correct me if I'm wrong - my inequality skills are a bit rusty :oops:

No, it's not correct.

When you are writing m/z>-1 from m+z>0 you are actually dividing both parts of inequality by z: never multiply or reduce (divide) inequality by an unknown (a variable) unless you are sure of its sign since you do not know whether you must flip the sign of the inequality.

So if we knew that z>0 then m+z>0 --> m/z+1>0 and if we knew that z<0 then m+z>0 --> m/z+1<0.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
smitakokne wrote:
Is m+z > 0

1. m-3z > 0
2. 4z-m > 0

(1) m - 3z > 0. Insufficient on its own.
(2) 4z - m > 0. Insufficient on its own.

(1)+(2) Remember we can add inequalities with the sign in the same direction --> \(m-3z+4z-m>0\) --> \(z>0\), so \(z\) is positive. From (1) \(m>3z=positive\), so \(m\) is positive too (\(m\) is more than some positive number \(3z\), so it's positive) --> \(m+z=positive+positive>0\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hello Bunnel,

As you said in the above post..
"(1)+(2) Remember we can add inequalities with the sign in the same direction -->"
what should we have different signs...
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618584 [10]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
jullysabat wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
smitakokne wrote:
Is m+z > 0

1. m-3z > 0
2. 4z-m > 0

(1)+(2) Remember we can add inequalities with the sign in the same direction --> \(m-3z+4z-m>0\) --> \(z>0\), so \(z\) is positive. From (1) \(m>3z=positive\), so \(m\) is positive too (\(m\) is more than some positive number \(3z\), so it's positive) --> \(m+z=positive+positive>0\). Sufficient.

Hello Bunnel,

As you said in the above post..
"(1)+(2) Remember we can add inequalities with the sign in the same direction -->"
what should we have different signs...

You can only add inequalities when their signs are in the same direction:

If \(a>b\) and \(c>d\) (signs in same direction: \(>\) and \(>\)) --> \(a+c>b+d\).
Example: \(3<4\) and \(2<5\) --> \(3+2<4+5\).

You can only apply subtraction when their signs are in the opposite directions:

If \(a>b\) and \(c<d\) (signs in opposite direction: \(>\) and \(<\)) --> \(a-c>b-d\) (take the sign of the inequality you subtract from).
Example: \(3<4\) and \(5>1\) --> \(3-5<4-1\).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [13]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Plus in arbitary values to check is m+z is always greater than 0 or there are other possibilities

st-1 ==> m - 3z >0
m =1 and z = -1 ==> m+z = 0
m=2 and z = -1 ==> m+z >0
not sufficient

st-2 ==> 4z-m>0
m = -1 and z = 0.1 ==> m+z < 0
m=2 and z = 1 ==> m+z >0
not sufficient

combining both

m-3z + 4z -m >0
z > 0.... (P)
from 1, m > 3z and from 2, 4z > m
==> 3z < m < 4z... (Q)
from (P) and (Q) m+Z > 0

Answer C.

Originally posted by agdimple333 on 26 May 2011, 11:10.
Last edited by agdimple333 on 26 May 2011, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6040 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

For graphic approach refer to: is-m-z-0-1-m-3z-0-2-4z-m-75657.html

I have one question when statements are combined, I got till the part z > 0 now I got confused here since in statement 1 I could prove it m>3z ( m is positive) but didn't how to apply z>0 to the second statement >>> 4z - m > 0

So when you reach that stage you can apply it to any of the statement and conclude its sufficient or you have to conclude using both statement separately?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618584 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
fozzzy wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

For graphic approach refer to: is-m-z-0-1-m-3z-0-2-4z-m-75657.html

I have one question when statements are combined, I got till the part z > 0 now I got confused here since in statement 1 I could prove it m>3z ( m is positive) but didn't how to apply z>0 to the second statement >>> 4z - m > 0

So when you reach that stage you can apply it to any of the statement and conclude its sufficient or you have to conclude using both statement separately?

You got that m is positive with (1), so can stop there. If you combine you get that 4z>m>3z>0.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Hi Bunuel, I have a doubt in this question. it is asked whether m+z>0 this implies that is m>-z?

Statement 1 says: m-3Z>0 then m>3z and 3z is definitely greater than -z then isnt m>-z. Please clarify.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618584 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
snehamd1309 wrote:
Hi Bunuel, I have a doubt in this question. it is asked whether m+z>0 this implies that is m>-z?

Statement 1 says: m-3Z>0 then m>3z and 3z is definitely greater than -z then isnt m>-z. Please clarify.

3z is not always greater than -z. It's only true when z is positive, but if z is negative, then 3z < -z.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16592 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

Is m+z > 0

(1) m-3z > 0
(2) 4z-m > 0

In the original condition, there are 2 variables(m,z), which should match with the number of equations. So you need 2 equations. For 1) 1 equation, for 2) 1 equation, which is likely to make C the answer. In 1)&2), add the 2 equations, which is m-3z+4z+m>0, z>0. Then m>z>0 is derived from m>3z>z, which is m>0. So, m+z>0 is always yes and sufficient. Therefore, the answer is C.

-> For cases where we need 2 more equations, such as original conditions with “2 variables”, or “3 variables and 1 equation”, or “4 variables and 2 equations”, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, there is 70% chance that C is the answer, while E has 25% chance. These two are the majority. In case of common mistake type 3,4, the answer may be from A, B or D but there is only 5% chance. Since C is most likely to be the answer using 1) and 2) separately according to DS definition (It saves us time). Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, D or E.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [12]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos