Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is MBA right for me?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: HBS '15
GMAT Date: 09-21-2013
GPA: 3.51
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Is MBA right for me? [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 13:38
I have a B.S. (UT Austin) and M.S. (Georgia Tech) in Chemical Engineering. I graduated with a 3.52 from UT Austin and a 3.8 from GA Tech. I took some courses at UT Austin (mainly marketing, management, and finance) that aligned with the business foundations program sponsored by Halliburton. I have been working for a top oil company for 3-4 years in Houston and I am looking to get out of my technical role and move on up to a management role. Eventually I want to do management consulting in the future for sure. Would getting an MBA help me in this matter? Would getting an MBA from Rice give me opportunities in the future to get into management consulting? I am having a hard time deciding whether I should do MBA from Rice or quit my job and do an MBA out of state (Duke, Stanford, UCLA). If I do stay in Houston, my company will pay approximately 50-75% of the tuition and I would have to pay the rest. If I do my MBA at Duke/Stanford/UCLA, I am banking on a scholarship to help me pay for at least some. I feel that getting an MBA from Duke/Stanford/UCLA will give me better opportunities with companies such as BCG, Deloitte, and McKinsey. Any insight would be helpful.
Expert Post
Christine Lin, Principal
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: London Business School (LBS) - Class of 2002
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 1

Re: Is MBA right for me? [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 09:37
Expert's post
Hi,

You may want also want to consider UNC's online MBA program http://onlinemba.unc.edu/ if your employer is willing to help pay for it.

MBA would definitely help faciliate moving into management consulting. Also it would be an easier transition into management consulting if you leverage your oil industry expertise. Consulting clients are looking for deep industry and technical knowledge.

If you do decide to attend Rice, you can still seek out opportunities with the consulting firms even if they're not recruiting on campus. Companies are looking for top talent, regardless of which school they come from. If you do decide to go to Rice, you may just have to do more networking on your own to get to the hiring managers.

Good luck!

Christine
If you like this post, please give it KUDOS!

chestud13 wrote:
I have a B.S. (UT Austin) and M.S. (Georgia Tech) in Chemical Engineering. I graduated with a 3.52 from UT Austin and a 3.8 from GA Tech. I took some courses at UT Austin (mainly marketing, management, and finance) that aligned with the business foundations program sponsored by Halliburton. I have been working for a top oil company for 3-4 years in Houston and I am looking to get out of my technical role and move on up to a management role. Eventually I want to do management consulting in the future for sure. Would getting an MBA help me in this matter? Would getting an MBA from Rice give me opportunities in the future to get into management consulting? I am having a hard time deciding whether I should do MBA from Rice or quit my job and do an MBA out of state (Duke, Stanford, UCLA). If I do stay in Houston, my company will pay approximately 50-75% of the tuition and I would have to pay the rest. If I do my MBA at Duke/Stanford/UCLA, I am banking on a scholarship to help me pay for at least some. I feel that getting an MBA from Duke/Stanford/UCLA will give me better opportunities with companies such as BCG, Deloitte, and McKinsey. Any insight would be helpful.

Christine Lin | Marvel Admissions
Marvel Admissions Website | Marvel Admissions Blog
Marvel Admissions Reviews| Marvel Admissions Discount

Re: Is MBA right for me?   [#permalink] 28 Dec 2012, 09:37