Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 19:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is my profile good enough for MBA in US? Need Expert Advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

750 in GMAT and no work ex.... need advise to choose course [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 08:13
Hi experts!!

My name is Pritha, a computer science engineer and currently undergoing M.Tech degree in Operations Research (final semester), need your advise to decide which program and schools to apply to. My undergrad GPA is 8.08 out 10 from a private college (No IIT). Now doing M.tech from NIT, WB. Had passed out in midst of recession fears so went instead for M.Tech which didn't require a loan. Currently I have a job at IBM Global to be joined after June.

My queries are:

1. Considering my profile, should I go for Masters in Management over MBA? What are the career prospects? N which schools to apply for? I need a job enough to repay the loan.
2. Else I can join IBM and work there for 2-3 years and then either join ISB for executive MBA or apply for MBA in the US?
3. Last option but most undesirable..... I can go for Ph.D in the IIMs.....

Please suggest me what to do..... Thnx in advance. :) :) :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Prepster and Stratus Prep
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 4

Re: 750 in GMAT and no work ex.... need advise to choose course [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 12:55
This post received
KUDOS
Honestly would just wait a bit. An MBA is a generally more desirable degree and for that you will need experience. Good job on the GMAT!

If my response helps, please add throw me a kudos.

Jim Kernan is the Director of GMAT Operations at Stratus Prep and author of GMAT Materials for GMAT Prepster.

Intern
Intern

Re: 750 in GMAT and no work ex.... need advise to choose course [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 19:22
JimGMATPrepster wrote:
Honestly would just wait a bit. An MBA is a generally more desirable degree and for that you will need experience. Good job on the GMAT!

Thnx Jim for your suggestion. But someone told me that US colleges won't consider IT experience in a company like IBM as valuable enough..... But right now that's the only option for me.... any light on that?
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Is my profile good enough for MBA in US? Need Expert Advice [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 11:54
No US grad school cares about your HS grades. Drop this from the picture and it sounds like your anxiety drops precipitously.

What do you mean you'll waste your score? If you don't apply you'll waste it...if you do apply and are rejected, it certainly won't be because of your GMAT. I don't understand.

Your profile could be competitive, but it's hard to tell with so little information. Why do you want an MBA? What makes you stand out from other candidates?

On another note: I've seen a Q47 and V42 = 750. Is the breakdown accurate?

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Intern
Intern

Re: Is my profile good enough for MBA in US? Need Expert Advice [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 12:17
machichi wrote:
No US grad school cares about your HS grades. Drop this from the picture and it sounds like your anxiety drops precipitously.

What do you mean you'll waste your score? If you don't apply you'll waste it...if you do apply and are rejected, it certainly won't be because of your GMAT. I don't understand.

Your profile could be competitive, but it's hard to tell with so little information. Why do you want an MBA? What makes you stand out from other candidates?

On another note: I've seen a Q47 and V42 = 750. Is the breakdown accurate?

Thnx for replying. N sorry.. its a typo....750 Q49 V42 it should be. I'm afraid I'll waste my score if I wait too long for work ex n den discover d work ex from IBM is insufficient.

Why do I want an MBA..... It was my goal all d way.... only the recession thing deferred the plan. I'm interested in the field will get an M.Tech degree in operations in 2 months. I did all I could to stay close to my goal.

What makes me stand out.... some social work, literary activity(as an editor of a little magazine and as a poet), Leadership activity (Hall secretary for a Hall of 318 girl students)... etc.

I have this 1 shot at fulfilling my dream. Ur suggestion is appreciated.
Intern
Intern

Re: Is my profile good enough for MBA in US? Need Expert Advice [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 12:28
In addition, I also have two published international papers in the field of supply chain management. Got best paper award for 1 of them.
VP
VP
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 452

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Is my profile good enough for MBA in US? Need Expert Advice [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 03:52
pritha,

I've merged the two topics you created into a single topic.

If you require some more advice regarding your candidacy, feel free to post in the profile evaluation section here .

Best

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 535 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is my profile good enough for MBA in US? Need Expert Advice [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 00:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Pritha,
Jim is right. If this is your dream, then just wait. It's not true that IT experience doesn't count, and the proof is that every year a bunch of Indian IT people get in to all of the best schools. I don't think rushing will help you, and I think that at this point the best way for you to reach your dream is to be patient. Your GMAt score is good for five years, so now, go work for three. Find out what you know and what you don't discover what you like and what you don't and what your strengths are and what your weaknesses are. and THEN apply with your awesome 750!!!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Is my profile good enough for MBA in US? Need Expert Advice [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 04:55
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Pritha,
Jim is right. If this is your dream, then just wait. It's not true that IT experience doesn't count, and the proof is that every year a bunch of Indian IT people get in to all of the best schools. I don't think rushing will help you, and I think that at this point the best way for you to reach your dream is to be patient. Your GMAt score is good for five years, so now, go work for three. Find out what you know and what you don't discover what you like and what you don't and what your strengths are and what your weaknesses are. and THEN apply with your awesome 750!!!

Thnx Jon for your valuable suggestion. I think I'll follow that. But can you tell me the current state of employment opportunity for Indians in the US after MBA? I heard the visa extension is very hard to get for international students as of now. Is it so? Thnx in advance.
Intern
Intern

Re: 750 in GMAT and no work ex.... need advise to choose course [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 04:56
JimGMATPrepster wrote:

thnx a lot Jim.
Re: 750 in GMAT and no work ex.... need advise to choose course   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2013, 04:56