Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 04:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is NYU Stern Part-Time Program Worth It?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Is NYU Stern Part-Time Program Worth It? [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2009, 10:41
Hi,

I appreciate the knowledge within the GMATClub and am curious about responses to this question.

My basic question is that I'm trying to figure out if applying to/attending Stern would be appropriate given my situation:
Currently I'm working in finance at what I think is a very desireable job - I'm happy, I'm making very significant money and I don't plan on leaving/switching careers/switching industries. Thus, it appears I've eliminated numerous of the typical reasons to get an MBA and my main goal would be to simply polish up on some of the more advanced finance and economics subjects (although it obviously would be some incremental positive with regards to internal promotions, etc).

I have taken numerous MBA courses as an undergrad and there are certain topics that I feel very proficient at (accounting, finance, operations, etc) and therefore I think I would opt-out of approx. half of the core courses in the program. Academically, my focus would be on "peripheral"/"high-level" finance and economics courses and I am trying to judge to what extent it will be worth my time to enroll in the program just for these classes (ie: how good are the professors, prospective classmates, etc). Again, I feel like I would come into the program significantly more experienced (in certain areas) than many other applicants and want to make sure I'm not going to be bored or be learning things that I could have read a book about.
So, for anybody with an opinion, I would love to hear no-holds-barred thoughts as well as reviews of the courses, professors, students, etc...

For people who attended:
- Do you have the sense that there are a lot of people in my shoes or are a lot of people coming to learn the core and branch out into the elective classes?
- How awesome are these professors/courses? why can't i just read a book about advanced macroeconomics or distressed investing and learn the same stuff?

Thanks for your opinions.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg, Emory, Booth, Yale, Cornell, Duke
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 3

Re: Is NYU Stern Part-Time Program Worth It? [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 17:21
If you want response from current students, you should post this in the Ask Business School Ambassadors sub-forum.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Is NYU Stern Part-Time Program Worth It? [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2009, 13:16
For you, I think an MBA at Stern would be perfect. [EDITED by nink]

--The Dan

EDIT: Well the mods apparently didn't care for my original post so here goes an amended one. NYU Stern is one of the best business schools in the country. All sorts of extremely smart and talented people DON'T EVEN GET ADMITTED. I personally find your belief that you should be able to skip over the core classes everyone else takes because you are so smart and experienced to be extremely arrogant and most likely not accurate in relation to the people who would be your peers.

Last edited by nink on 07 Mar 2009, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
edited out stupid comment
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Is NYU Stern Part-Time Program Worth It? [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2009, 08:26
nickkio
here are my thoughts:
1) How flexible is the course structure at Stern. I am and admit to Chicago Booth PT, and for people like you, the school offers a lot of flexibility in choosing the 'core-courses'. Based on your comfort factor and your background, you can choose the different courses taught in Finance.

2) You should try sitting in couple of finance classes at Stern to see if the course is at par with your level.

Personally, I would love to have few courses where I already know the stuff. Not only would it help me improve my gpa but also would help me concentrate more on my 2nd course. It can also help me take additional courses and finish my MBA sooner.

HTH.
Regards.
Re: Is NYU Stern Part-Time Program Worth It?   [#permalink] 09 Mar 2009, 08:26