Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 12:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is OG 10 useful?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Is OG 10 useful? [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2009, 23:36
I have around 50 days to sit for my GMAT and will start studying from today (hopefully! :P). I have taken a GMAT prep test and scored 550 (Q31 and V31, pretty balanced, i must say :-D). However, this is way below my target score of 700-720 :(. I have gone through the list of books in various sections on this forum and throughout various blogs and other web sites. My questions here are:

• Is OG 10 useful to prep from? From what I understand, OG is the bible. Therefore, wouldn't practicing from OG, rather than from other books (Kaplan, PR etc.), make more sense? I know the questions are retired and old, but they do have the same difficulty level and test on the same concepts, right :?:
  • I have OG 11. Do I need to invest in OG 12? The reason why I ask is because I can't really find the book in my city. If i get it somewhere by next month, I am hoping to look at the additional questions in PS, DS, and SC. However, taking the worst case scenario, I want to understand the impact if I am not able to take a look at OG 12.

In addition, because I am pretty weak in quant (DS is my nemesis :evil:), I am going to work through Quant review Ed 11. Does this sound enough?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2235

Kudos [?]: 8406 [0], given: 3646

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Is OG 10 useful? [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2009, 23:58
Expert's post
Welcome to GMAT Club Deejay!

Your OG 10 is good - it actually has very few questions overlapping with OG 11. You don't need to get OG 12 - it has only 30% of new questions.

Usually people use OG at the end of their prep because OG does not teach any principles - it is just a collection of questions. You do end up learning but with a much less efficiency than from books that were designed to give you strategies how to approach the test and also the foundation of math and verbal.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Is OG 10 useful? [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2009, 00:22
Thanks for the very prompt response bb. You are right in saying that few questions from OG 10 overlap with OG 11. Thats the first thing that made me look at OG 10 and wonder why people prepping don't practice from PG 10. In fact, I haven't found a single instance documented anywhere on the web where anyone prepping to give GMAT in next few months is using OG 10.

As far as strategies and foundations in maths and verbal are concerned, I have superficially read through the Cracking the GMAT book (PR). I didn't find it good enough. I am hoping to develop my strategies through practicing as many questions as I can. Also, I am aware of the basic concepts in maths and verbal. Where I falter is the application of these concepts in questions. Therefore, again, I am banking on practicing actual questions to actually conquer this. Also, through the thorough analysis of the questions, I should come to know which fundamentals I need to brush again. Then, I can just revisit the fundamentals of that particular topic. Does this make sense?

Based on this, I have also created a detailed study plan for the next 50 days (attached within). Your take on it?

Thanks in advance for your inputs :)

P.S.: The calendar template I have used for my plan is picked up from this forum only. I found it really helpful. My thanks to the creator :)

Attachment:
My GMAT Schedule.xls [26.5 KiB]
Downloaded 89 times
To download please login or register as a user

bb wrote:
Welcome to GMAT Club Deejay!

Your OG 10 is good.............foundation of math and verbal.
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 391 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is OG 10 useful? [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2009, 01:05
I think in OG11 there are fewer questions to practice. It has around 900 questions in total (quant + verb + diag).

Though I haven't seen OG10, but have only seen cover on net, which says total around 1400+ questions. Is this true ?

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2235

Kudos [?]: 8406 [0], given: 3646

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Is OG 10 useful? [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2009, 01:17
Expert's post
Get a decent book - depending on your needs you can get a lot of great books. What you are doing right now is setting yourself up for 640 and then needing retake but by that time you would have "wasted" all of the OG questions, GMATPrep, and other resources. Get good books - they are worth it - usually the more specialized, the better.

GMAT Guidebooks (All-in-one): top-gmat-prep-books-guides-reviews-comments-77703.html

Specialized:
Math GMAT Books
Verbal GMAT Books

OG 10 is considered by many the best of OG's.
The only weakness of OG 10 is that it has many questions overlap with PowerPrep - the predecessor of GMATPrep (download PowerPrep)

P.S. I saw that template and indeed - it is a great idea. Can you kindly post the source so that I can give proper credit?

Thanks!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern

Re: Is OG 10 useful? [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2009, 02:00
bb wrote:
Get a decent book -

OG 10 is considered by many the best of OG's.
The only weakness of OG 10 is that it has many questions overlap with PowerPrep - the predecessor of GMATPrep (download PowerPrep)

P.S. I saw that template and indeed - it is a great idea. Can you kindly post the source so that I can give proper credit?

Thanks!

BB: Hmmm....okies. Then its Kaplan Maths workbook vs. MGMAT guides. Let me see which is available here. Thanks for your inputs :)

Bigoyal: You are right. OG 10 has a total of 1400+ questions with the following breakup:
PS - 441 questions
DS - 274 questions
CR - 205 questions
RC - 285 questions
SC - 268 questions

Also, the overlap with OG 11 is minimal. However, as BB rightly pointed out, there is a higher degree of overlap with powerprep. But, since we use GMATprep instead of powerprep now, I don't think it really matters. And that book feels really great and is a great inspiration to just start studying (I have a hard copy :))

BB: The name of the template creator is topher and the template is posted at please-evaluate-my-study-schedule-79588.html. I should have done it before but was just being lazy :P.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is OG 10 useful? [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2009, 02:06
Quote:
Is OG 10 useful to prep from? From what I understand, OG is the bible. Therefore, wouldn't practicing from OG, rather than from other books (Kaplan, PR etc.), make more sense? I know the questions are retired and old, but they do have the same difficulty level and test on the same concepts, right :?:

You have the point overhere - OG 10 is better than any other review book, including Princeton Review, not even to mention Kaplan. If you already have it, work with it. If you don't, I'm not sure it's wise to buy it now. Instead, you should spend your money on some guides like MGMAT.

Quote:
In addition, because I am pretty weak in quant (DS is my nemesis :evil:), I am going to work through Quant review Ed 11. Does this sound enough?

OG is definitely not enough, especially if you have some issues with math. OG Quant Review (purple book) will not bring you nothing but additional questions, which is good, but you need some guide with methodological approach because you have to learn concepts, not just to practice with sample questions. In that sense, I can recommend you MGMAT for some medium-to-advance concepts and some book like Sackmann's Math Bible for some basic-to-medium concepts.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 391 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is OG 10 useful? [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2009, 02:38
Deejay wrote:
Bigoyal: You are right. OG 10 has a total of 1400+ questions with the following breakup:
PS - 441 questions
DS - 274 questions
CR - 205 questions
RC - 285 questions
SC - 268 questions

Also, the overlap with OG 11 is minimal. However, as BB rightly pointed out, there is a higher degree of overlap with powerprep. But, since we use GMATprep instead of powerprep now, I don't think it really matters. And that book feels really great and is a great inspiration to just start studying (I have a hard copy :))

In that case I think it would be worth giving a try to OG10 instead of OG12.

Btw, any idea why there was such a significant drop in the number of questions from OG10 to OG11 ?

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is OG 10 useful? [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2009, 11:37
Deejay wrote:
Also, the overlap with OG 11 is minimal. However, as BB rightly pointed out, there is a higher degree of overlap with powerprep. But, since we use GMATprep instead of powerprep now, I don't think it really matters. And that book feels really great and is a great inspiration to just start studying (I have a hard copy )

In my opinion the overlap is not minimal. It is nowhere less than 30-40%.
I know that the number of problems you get to solve in OG 10 is more than OG11 , I will not suggest OG10 to someone who wants to be away from OG. (It is not suggested to start the prep with OG.)

Lahoosaher

Re: Is OG 10 useful?   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2009, 11:37