Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Aug 2014, 01:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is Part Time MBA Worth it ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Is Part Time MBA Worth it ? [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2006, 08:22
Hi,

I am planning to do Part Time MBA from Ross (Michigan) which one of the top 10 PT programs. I will have to spend at least 80K my self for that program over 4 years. I am an IT prof with 10+ yrs of exp.

Is this investment worth it? Will there be any ROI.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2006, 18:49
zxcvb,

I have been in your same shoes and believe me, no one can answer this question for you other than you. However here are somethings that might help you answer the question:-

1. Career goals - what are your long and short term career goals? Do you necessarily need an MBA to get there? Is Ross the right school to get you there?

2. Problem solving skills - how good are your problem solving skills? Irrespective of if you want to continue in IT or somewhere else, problem solving skills are important. Will you benefit from the problem solving framework an MBA would provide?

3. Network - do you think you would, now or in the future, benefit from the network you develop in a business school

4. Skillset - an MBA would diversify your skill set. Would you need this to go where you want to go.

Good luck with your decision
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Duke vs Chicago?? [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2006, 19:35
Hello Plsubbu,

First of all congratulations for getting into both the schools!

I am planning for do an MBA but confused abut exec vs part time and duke vs chicago. I live in NC and Duke is the closest school for me. Duke has an exec MBA. But I am also interested in Chicago evening part time MBA. If I decide to go for Chicago the main problem is of relocation. Currently I work into IT and my job is very secure and will give me a lot of time for my studies. But I am also looking for a job switch (atleast inside my company) so as to gain more business knowledge. I am confused if I should apply for Chicago or go just with Duke. Duke will be the easiest possible option but Chicago has the brand name. I am not sure how much more weightage the Chicago Part time will carry than Duke exec considering the relocation and job switch that will come along with Chicago PT MBA.

Based on your experiences may be you will be in a better position to guide me. Appreciate your help in this regard!

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2006, 15:10
a37,

If you are so interested, you could do the weekend program at Chicago. Ofcourse you will have to fly in every weekend. But I know a lot of people who fly in from as far as California.

I do agree that Chicago has a better brand name than Duke. But you also have to look at all the things that you need to change in your life to get this. Personally, I wouldn't mind just going to Duke. It is a great school
  [#permalink] 21 Aug 2006, 15:10