Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is PP Test1 adaptive?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Is PP Test1 adaptive? [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2005, 22:13
Hi All,
I took the PP Test1 today. Got a 740(q51, v38).

During review I found something strange. There were only 28 questions in quant and 29 questions in verbal. But I am very sure I saw 37 questions in quant and 41 question in verbal, when I took the exam.

Can someone please explain this discrepancy?

Also, is this test adaptive? Or is it a pre-compiled exam with a fixed set of 37q and 41v questions?

Any help appreciated.

ps: Does anyone have recommendations for a verbal tutor in Silicon valley?

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. -Albert Einstein.

CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2005, 17:34
ETS incorporates "experimental" questions into the administered exam that are not included in the scoring. Thus, your score is determined by fewer questions than you complete during the course of the test.

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2005, 09:46
PowerPrep tests are adaptive and use genuine GMAT engine of selecting questions and calculating scores
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

verbal Tutor [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2005, 11:34
Get in touch with Leanna at GMAX. They have teachers who are specialized for all problem types.

I am also taking customized help from them. I feel they are doing the best I can expect from anyone.

Take Care,
Mohit
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Is PP Test1 adaptive? [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2005, 12:16
[quote="mckenna"]Hi All,
I took the PP Test1 today. Got a 740(q51, v38).

During review I found something strange. There were only 28 questions in quant and 29 questions in verbal. But I am very sure I saw 37 questions in quant and 41 question in verbal, when I took the exam.

Can someone please explain this discrepancy?

You can still review all the questions and explanations to them. You should go back to the question 1 and you will be able to see your answer, correct answer and the explanations; by clicking ‘next’ you can go to the next questions, and this way review all 37/41 questions.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2005, 23:47
Thanks everybody. After the test I am able to see all the questions and review the answers.
Thanks for all the replies.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. -Albert Einstein.

CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2005, 10:54
I think that I misunderstood your question regarding the number of scored items on the exam.

Hjort
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2005, 08:40
do you lose the explanantions of the answers? I took PP1 2 weeks ago and wanted to go back through it last night and I cant get any explanantions just the right answer vs my answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2005, 08:10
Jackson,
I just took PP1 too but i think the trick is that you can only review each section one at a time IMMEDIATELY after the test, any time after the record of your answers is lost. Try going through the right answers i am sure you can review those once done.
By the way how hard are the PP tests compared to the real GMAT?
On some forums people have said they scored in the 600's on PP's and got 750 on the real GMAT. Is that just their hard work or is PP actually harder?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2005, 14:38
1. Yes I did lose all the explanations. As people have mentioned, the trick is to review all the answer right after the test before clicking EXIT.
That kinda sucks.

2. From what I gather, PPs give a fair indication of the actual score; give or take 30 points. So, its better to take some more time for prep if you are not getting good scores on the PP.

Thanks

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2005, 12:04
Dear Members,
I just noticed the posts about the Power Prep exams, and thought I should share our experience (at GMAX) with you so that you don't take the PP grades too seriously. If you have done problems from the Official Guide, then the grade cannot be realistic, because ALL of the questions are taken from that book! You will certainly remember specific questions and the thinking you did to solve them in the first place. If that's the case, use the PP to practice your timing, and that's all. We have seen students whose grades are up to 100 points higher on the PP than on the real test, even if they take the real test the next day! So be careful, and don't rely on the grades, especially if you have done Official Guide questions first. I think that if the grades are similar it is just random.
Regards,
Leanna
http://www.gmaxonline.com
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2005, 09:34
Good point Leanna.

I was aware of this, so I took the first test before starting OG. However, its a good idea to take the second test after OG and just before the actual exam to boost one's confidence.

Thanks

[#permalink] 22 Mar 2005, 09:34