Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 16:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2012
Posts: 8
GPA: 3.97
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer? [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 06:33
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (medium)

Question Stats:

41% (02:56) correct 59% (01:05) wrong based on 100 sessions
Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer?

(1) 2 + x + 5 + y is an even integer
(2) x - y is an odd integer

I have a solution for this question but can't figure out how it was determined that y is an integer. Thanks!! :-D
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Employed
Joined: 17 Nov 2011
Posts: 101
Location: Pakistan
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 10

Re: Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer? [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 07:04
I dont get it. 2 is already being multiplied to the original number. so unless x and y is a fraction, let's say \frac{1}{2} then it could be odd, but as long as x and y are integers, there is no way this could be an odd number since it is being multiplied by 2. Now if we look at Statement A, it still does not tell us that x and y are integers or not. Since x could be \frac{1}{2} and y again could be \frac{1}{2} so A is obviously Insufficient. We cannot even establish if 2*x*5*y is an integer, let alone it is even or not. And the presence of 2 is extremely misleading.

Now B says that (x - y) is an odd integer. Let's suppose x=\frac{4}{3} and y=\frac{1}{3}, then (x-y)=1 which is an odd integer as it is supposed to be but that does not make 2*x*5*y an even integer an integer at all. On the other hand let x=4 and y=3 than (x-y)=1 which is again an odd integer so yes 2*x*5*y is an even integer. Two different answers,
Hence Insufficient.

Now if we combine A & B:

Statement A: 2+x+5+yis even so (x+y)+7 is even so (x+y) has to be odd
Statement B: x-y=odd which is basically just restating Statement A.

There is something wrong with the question. Do you have a source for this one?
_________________

"Nowadays, people know the price of everything, and the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

Expert Post
9 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 18861
Followers: 3278

Kudos [?]: 22974 [9] , given: 2653

Re: Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer? [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 07:26
9
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
omerrauf wrote:
I dont get it. 2 is already being multiplied to the original number. so unless x and y is a fraction, let's say \frac{1}{2} then it could be odd, but as long as x and y are integers, there is no way this could be an odd number since it is being multiplied by 2. Now if we look at Statement A, it still does not tell us that x and y are integers or not. Since x could be \frac{1}{2} and y again could be \frac{1}{2} so A is obviously Insufficient. We cannot even establish if 2*x*5*y is an integer, let alone it is even or not. And the presence of 2 is extremely misleading.

Now B says that (x - y) is an odd integer. Let's suppose x=\frac{4}{3} and y=\frac{1}{3}, then (x-y)=1 which is an odd integer as it is supposed to be but that does not make 2*x*5*y an even integer an integer at all. On the other hand let x=4 and y=3 than (x-y)=1 which is again an odd integer so yes 2*x*5*y is an even integer. Two different answers,
Hence Insufficient.

Now if we combine A & B:

Statement A: 2+x+5+yis even so (x+y)+7 is even so (x+y) has to be odd
Statement B: x-y=odd which is basically just restating Statement A.

There is something wrong with the question. Do you have a source for this one?


Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer?

Notice that we are not told that x and y are integers.

Question: 2*x*5*y=even. As there is 2 as a multiple, then this expression will be even if 5xy=integer. Basically we are asked is 5xy=integer true?

Note that x and y may not be integers for 2*x*5*y to be even (example x=\frac{7}{9} and y=\frac{9}{7}) BUT if they are integers then 2*x*5*y is even.


(1) 2+x+5+y=even --> 7+x+y=even --> x+y=odd. Not sufficient. (x=1 and y=2 answer YES BUT x=1.3 and y=1.7 answer NO)

(2) x-y=odd. Not sufficient. (x=1 and y=2 answer YES BUT x=1.3 and y=0.3 answer NO)

(1)+(2) Sum (1) and (2) (x+y)+(x-y)=odd_1+odd_2 --> 2x=even --> x=integer --> y=integer --> Both x and y are integers. Hence sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Employed
Joined: 17 Nov 2011
Posts: 101
Location: Pakistan
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 10

Re: Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer? [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 07:30
Many thanks Bunuel. Had a hard time with this one !
_________________

"Nowadays, people know the price of everything, and the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 193
Location: Germany
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE '15 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer? [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 07:48
Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer?

1. 2 + x + 5 + y is an even integer
2. x - y is an odd integer

1. 7 + x + y = even (7+1+2 satisfy the statement, 7+2.5+0.5 satisfy the statement as well --> not sufficient)
2. x - y = odd (5-2 = odd and 5.5-2.5 = odd --> not sufficient)

Together: (x+y)+(x-y) = odd + odd --> 2x = even
2x can only be even if x is an integer, thus y must be an integer too

"C"
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2012
Posts: 42
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 16

Re: Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer? [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2012, 10:18
Bunuel wrote:
omerrauf wrote:
I dont get it. 2 is already being multiplied to the original number. so unless x and y is a fraction, let's say \frac{1}{2} then it could be odd, but as long as x and y are integers, there is no way this could be an odd number since it is being multiplied by 2. Now if we look at Statement A, it still does not tell us that x and y are integers or not. Since x could be \frac{1}{2} and y again could be \frac{1}{2} so A is obviously Insufficient. We cannot even establish if 2*x*5*y is an integer, let alone it is even or not. And the presence of 2 is extremely misleading.

Now B says that (x - y) is an odd integer. Let's suppose x=\frac{4}{3} and y=\frac{1}{3}, then (x-y)=1 which is an odd integer as it is supposed to be but that does not make 2*x*5*y an even integer an integer at all. On the other hand let x=4 and y=3 than (x-y)=1 which is again an odd integer so yes 2*x*5*y is an even integer. Two different answers,
Hence Insufficient.

Now if we combine A & B:

Statement A: 2+x+5+yis even so (x+y)+7 is even so (x+y) has to be odd
Statement B: x-y=odd which is basically just restating Statement A.

There is something wrong with the question. Do you have a source for this one?


Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer?

Notice that we are not told that x and y are integers.

Question: 2*x*5*y=even. As there is 2 as a multiple, then this expression will be even if 5xy=integer. Basically we are asked is 5xy=integer true?

Note that x and y may not be integers for 2*x*5*y to be even (example x=\frac{7}{9} and y=\frac{9}{7}) BUT if they are integers then 2*x*5*y is even.


(1) 2+x+5+y=even --> 7+x+y=even --> x+y=odd. Not sufficient. (x=1 and y=2 answer YES BUT x=1.3 and y=1.7 answer NO)

(2) x-y=odd. Not sufficient. (x=1 and y=2 answer YES BUT x=1.3 and y=0.3 answer NO)

(1)+(2) Sum (1) and (2) (x+y)+(x-y)=odd_1+odd_2 --> 2x=even --> x=integer --> y=integer --> Both x and y are integers. Hence sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.


A real tricky question and an awesome explanation.
Thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer? [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 07:24
What if x or y=0. Zero is not an even or an odd integer, then what? I suspect the answer should be E. Can anybody comment on this?
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 18861
Followers: 3278

Kudos [?]: 22974 [0], given: 2653

Re: Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer? [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 07:31
Expert's post
liyasecret wrote:
What if x or y=0. Zero is not an even or an odd integer, then what? I suspect the answer should be E. Can anybody comment on this?


Welcome to GMAT Club. Below is an answer to your question.

Zero is an even integer.

An even number is an integer that is "evenly divisible" by 2, i.e., divisible by 2 without a remainder, so since 0/2=0=integer then zero is even.

For more on number properties check: math-number-theory-88376.html

Hope it helps.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer? [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 07:35
Bunuel wrote:
liyasecret wrote:
What if x or y=0. Zero is not an even or an odd integer, then what? I suspect the answer should be E. Can anybody comment on this?


Welcome to GMAT Club. Below is an answer to your question.

Zero is an even integer.

An even number is an integer that is "evenly divisible" by 2, i.e., divisible by 2 without a remainder, so since 0/2=0=integer then zero is even.

Hope it helps.


Thanks a lot, Bunuel. It is clear now.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2013
Posts: 37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 67

Re: Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer? [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 23:18
i knw its a silly question to ask but can anybody pls explain: 2x can only be even if x is an integer,??
what if x is a value like .7.. then 2x is 1.4.. which is even i assume.. or is it not?? :( any help would be highly appreciated!!!
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 18861
Followers: 3278

Kudos [?]: 22974 [0], given: 2653

Re: Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer? [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 01:01
Expert's post
swarman wrote:
i knw its a silly question to ask but can anybody pls explain: 2x can only be even if x is an integer,??
what if x is a value like .7.. then 2x is 1.4.. which is even i assume.. or is it not?? :( any help would be highly appreciated!!!


No, 0.7 is not even. Only integers can be even or odd.

An even number is an integer that is "evenly divisible" by 2, i.e., divisible by 2 without a remainder.
An even number is an integer of the form n=2k, where k is an integer.

An odd number is an integer that is not evenly divisible by 2.
An odd number is an integer of the form n=2k+1, where k is an integer.

For more check here: math-number-theory-88376.html#p666609

Hope it helps.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2013
Posts: 37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 67

Re: Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer? [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 02:46
Ohhhh yeaahh Bunuel! shit.. what a silly question that was in real :roll: .. damn! yet did anyone tell u, you rock?!!!
thanks alot :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Sep 2012
Posts: 339
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer? [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 23:05
No matter what the value of x and y is (as long as it is an integer) the product will always be an Even number , therefore what this question is asking essentially is whether x and y are integers..

Statement (1) : Simplified we get, x+y = Odd Integer... This is satisfied by x being 2.5 and y being 0.5 , therefore we are not certain whether x and y are integers .. Not Suff.

Statement (2) : x - y = odd integer, this again is satisfied with 3.5 (x) - 0.5 (y) .. therefore is also insuff.

Combining 1 and 2, and lining them up we get, 2x = Odd int + Odd Int , or 2x = even integer (odd Integer + Odd integer is always an even integer) . Solving further we now know that X is an integer (Even integer divided by 2 is always an integer) .. Similarly substituting this information in any one of the 2 equations we can verify that y is also an integer.

Therefore the Answer is C...

Hope this helps..
_________________

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Aug 2005
Posts: 87
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer? [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 12:10
vomhorizon wrote:
No matter what the value of x and y is (as long as it is an integer) the product will always be an Even number , therefore what this question is asking essentially is whether x and y are integers..

Statement (1) : Simplified we get, x+y = Odd Integer... This is satisfied by x being 2.5 and y being 0.5 , therefore we are not certain whether x and y are integers .. Not Suff.

Statement (2) : x - y = odd integer, this again is satisfied with 3.5 (x) - 0.5 (y) .. therefore is also insuff.

Combining 1 and 2, and lining them up we get, 2x = Odd int + Odd Int , or 2x = even integer (odd Integer + Odd integer is always an even integer) . Solving further we now know that X is an integer (Even integer divided by 2 is always an integer) .. Similarly substituting this information in any one of the 2 equations we can verify that y is also an integer.

Therefore the Answer is C...

Hope this helps..


Great explanation!
_________________

One Last Shot

Re: Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer?   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2013, 12:10
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
7 Experts publish their posts in the topic Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer? prinits 12 29 May 2009, 03:53
Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer? a.) 2 + x + 5 + y is an arjtryarjtry 4 02 Aug 2008, 02:17
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer? a. 2 + x + 5 + y is an sondenso 2 23 May 2008, 01:18
Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer? 1. 2 + x + 5 + y is an marcodonzelli 5 02 Mar 2008, 03:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is product 2*x*5*y an even integer?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.