Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 22:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus? (1) Line segments AC and BD

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 11 May 2008
Posts: 560
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus? (1) Line segments AC and BD [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 17:21
Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?

(1) Line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other.

(2) AB = BC = CD = AD
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Posts: 210
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SQUARES and rhombus [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 17:26
arjtryarjtry wrote:
Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?

(1) Line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other.

(2) AB = BC = CD = AD



1) is necessary and sufficient condition for rhombus
2) is also same.

guess D
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SQUARES and rhombus [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 18:02
arjtryarjtry wrote:
Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?

(1) Line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other.

(2) AB = BC = CD = AD


fior a figure to be rhombus necesary and sufficient condn is that its sides are equal and diagnals bisect each other at rt angles .

(1) and (2) both are reqd
IMO C
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SQUARES and rhombus [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 18:04
bhushangiri wrote:
arjtryarjtry wrote:
Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?

(1) Line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other.

(2) AB = BC = CD = AD



1) is necessary and sufficient condition for rhombus
2) is also same.

guess D


its not necessary that a figure with diagonals bisecting each other at rt angles is rhombus,may be its sides are unequal.we can try this drawing on a paper.
:) hence (2) is important
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 11 May 2008
Posts: 560
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SQUARES and rhombus [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 18:14
i have a diagram for 1 not to be suff... but what bout 2..? can we have a figure with four sides equal , but not parallel?
Attachments

kite.doc [19 KiB]
Downloaded 36 times

To download please login or register as a user

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 552
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SQUARES and rhombus [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2008, 00:24
arjtryarjtry wrote:
i have a diagram for 1 not to be suff... but what bout 2..? can we have a figure with four sides equal , but not parallel?


the figure is wrong... both lines should bisect eachother... in your figure.. the perpendicular line is not divided in half...

IMO D
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Posts: 210
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SQUARES and rhombus [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2008, 03:08
spriya wrote:
bhushangiri wrote:
arjtryarjtry wrote:
Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?

(1) Line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other.

(2) AB = BC = CD = AD



1) is necessary and sufficient condition for rhombus
2) is also same.

guess D


its not necessary that a figure with diagonals bisecting each other at rt angles is rhombus,may be its sides are unequal.we can try this drawing on a paper.
:) hence (2) is important


No.. if the diagonals are perp and bisect each other, then it has to be a rhombus. Distance from any vertex to the adjoining vertex will beI same. Can be proved using the congruence of the 4 triangles using SAS (side angle side) approach.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1829
Location: New York
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 418 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SQUARES and rhombus [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2008, 10:49
arjtryarjtry wrote:
Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?

(1) Line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other.

(2) AB = BC = CD = AD



must be D .

statement 1 and 2 both are properties of rhombus.
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SQUARES and rhombus [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2008, 11:06
durgesh79 wrote:
arjtryarjtry wrote:
i have a diagram for 1 not to be suff... but what bout 2..? can we have a figure with four sides equal , but not parallel?


the figure is wrong... both lines should bisect eachother... in your figure.. the perpendicular line is not divided in half...

IMO D


Oh ok if the diagonals are perpendicular and bisect too

then lets say abcd is a quad. with AC and BD perpen and bisecting

AC=x,BD=y pt of intersection of diagonals be O.
AD= ((x/2)^2 + (y/2)^2 )^1/2 =CD=BC=AB
oops (2) is redundant (1) itself is sufficient

hence IMO A
Whats the OA?
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1829
Location: New York
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 418 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SQUARES and rhombus [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2008, 11:08
spriya wrote:
durgesh79 wrote:
arjtryarjtry wrote:
i have a diagram for 1 not to be suff... but what bout 2..? can we have a figure with four sides equal , but not parallel?


the figure is wrong... both lines should bisect eachother... in your figure.. the perpendicular line is not divided in half...

IMO D


Oh ok if the diagonals are perpendicular and bisect too

then lets say abcd is a quad. with AC and BD perpen and bisecting

AC=x,BD=y pt of intersection of diagonals be O.
AD= ((x/2)^2 + (y/2)^2 )^1/2 =CD=BC=AB
oops (2) is redundant (1) itself is sufficient

hence IMO A
Whats the OA?


Your reasoning is correct. but Why A.. it should D right
each statement itself answers the question.
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SQUARES and rhombus [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2008, 11:21
spriya wrote:
durgesh79 wrote:
arjtryarjtry wrote:

the figure is wrong... both lines should bisect eachother... in your figure.. the perpendicular line is not divided in half...

IMO D


Oh ok if the diagonals are perpendicular and bisect too

then lets say abcd is a quad. with AC and BD perpen and bisecting

AC=x,BD=y pt of intersection of diagonals be O.
AD= ((x/2)^2 + (y/2)^2 )^1/2 =CD=BC=AB
oops (2) is redundant (1) itself is sufficient

hence IMO A
Whats the OA?


Your reasoning is correct. but Why A.. it should D right
each statement itself answers the question.


can we call a parallelogram with 4 side equal a rhombus?this is my doubt :shock:
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1829
Location: New York
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 418 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SQUARES and rhombus [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2008, 11:28
1
This post received
KUDOS
spriya wrote:
can we call a parallelogram with 4 side equal a rhombus?this is my doubt :shock:


yes thats correct

A parallelogram with equal sides (a = b) is called a rhombus, a parallelogram whose angles are all right angles is called a rectangle.

http://www.vias.org/comp_geometry/geom_quad_parallelogram.html
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SQUARES and rhombus [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2008, 11:39
x2suresh wrote:
spriya wrote:
can we call a parallelogram with 4 side equal a rhombus?this is my doubt :shock:


yes thats correct

A parallelogram with equal sides (a = b) is called a rhombus, a parallelogram whose angles are all right angles is called a rectangle.

http://www.vias.org/comp_geometry/geom_quad_parallelogram.html


u get a kudo for this :-D

Correcting my analysis
IMO D
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2008
Posts: 309
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SQUARES and rhombus [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2008, 14:37
Yeh , D should be the answer as for each of the property mentioned only a Rhombus OR Sqaure (a special case Rhombus)
fits.
Re: SQUARES and rhombus   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2008, 14:37
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus? (1) Line segments AC and BD gijoedude 6 16 Jun 2011, 14:24
Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus? (1) Line segments AC and BD Nihit 5 29 May 2008, 05:11
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus? (1) Line segments AC and BD Skewed 14 11 Feb 2008, 18:18
Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus? (1) Line segments AC and BD rkatl 5 15 Jul 2006, 10:34
Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus? (1) Line segments AC and BD willget800 13 16 Apr 2006, 13:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus? (1) Line segments AC and BD

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.