Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 05:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is root{(x-3)^2}=3-x?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 67 [2] , given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Is root{(x-3)^2}=3-x? [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 12:45
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (02:02) correct 42% (01:10) wrong based on 331 sessions
Is \sqrt{(x-3)^2}=3-x?

(1) x\neq{3}
(2) -x|x| >0
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
10 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3609

Kudos [?]: 28829 [10] , given: 2852

Re: gmat prep Q [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 12:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Is \sqrt{(x-3)^2}=3-x?

Remember: \sqrt{x^2}=|x|. Why?

Couple of things:

The point here is that square root function can not give negative result: wich means that \sqrt{some \ expression}\geq{0}.

So \sqrt{x^2}\geq{0}. But what does \sqrt{x^2} equal to?

Let's consider following examples:
If x=5 --> \sqrt{x^2}=\sqrt{25}=5=x=positive;
If x=-5 --> \sqrt{x^2}=\sqrt{25}=5=-x=positive.

So we got that:
\sqrt{x^2}=x, if x\geq{0};
\sqrt{x^2}=-x, if x<0.

What function does exactly the same thing? The absolute value function! That is why \sqrt{x^2}=|x|

Back to the original question:

So \sqrt{(x-3)^2}=|x-3| and the question becomes is: |x-3|=3-x?

When x>3, then RHS (right hand side) is negative, but LHS (absolute value) is never negative, hence in this case equations doesn't hold true.

When x\leq{3}, then LHS=|x-3|=-x+3=3-x=RHS, hence in this case equation holds true.

Basically question asks is x\leq{3}?

(1) x\neq{3}. Clearly insufficient.

(2) -x|x| >0, basically this inequality implies that x<0, hence x<3. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: gmat prep Q [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2010, 10:40
I think there's a slight flaw in the solution. Is sqrt((x-3)^2) = |x-3|? Arent we eliminating the negative square root here?

I think the answer is D. Substitute -5 as an example, LHS is + -8 and RHS is +8

(or am I missing something here?)

Please do consider giving kudos if you like my posts

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28829 [3] , given: 2852

Re: gmat prep Q [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2010, 11:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
iambroke wrote:
I think there's a slight flaw in the solution. Is sqrt((x-3)^2) = |x-3|? Arent we eliminating the negative square root here?

I think the answer is D. Substitute -5 as an example, LHS is + -8 and RHS is +8

(or am I missing something here?)

First of all \sqrt{x^2} does equal to |x|, so \sqrt{(x-3)^2}=|x-3|.

Next GMAT is dealing only with Real Numbers: Integers, Fractions and Irrational Numbers.

When the GMAT provides the square root sign for an even root, such as \sqrt{x} or \sqrt[4]{x}, then the only accepted answer is the positive root.

That is, \sqrt{25}=5, NOT +5 or -5. In contrast, the equation x^2=25 has TWO solutions, +5 and -5. Even roots have only a positive value on the GMAT.

Odd roots will have the same sign as the base of the root. For example, \sqrt[3]{125} =5 and \sqrt[3]{-64} =-4.

And finally (1) can not be sufficient as if you try x=5\neq{3}, then LHS=\sqrt{(x-3)^2}=\sqrt{(5-3)^2}=2\neq{RHS}=3-x=3-5=-2.

Hope it's clear.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: gmat prep Q [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2010, 14:01
Quote:
When the GMAT provides the square root sign for an even root, such as \sqrt{x} or \sqrt[4]{x}, then the only accepted answer is the positive root.

Ok, that was news to me, but loks like you are right, just read through the OG for the first time just to confirm this. I hope the OG covers all such limitations that the test itself imposes(If not, please let me know). Thanks for the clarification though.

Please do consider giving kudos if you like my posts

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Root (x - 3) squared [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2010, 23:31
You have to remember that taking the root of a square effectively makes the term positive.

So if you choose numbers x =/= 3, f.e. x=4, the LHS = +1, but the RHS = -1

if you choose x = -4 then the LHS = +7 and the RHS also = +7.

NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer 1 would have to be x <= 3 to be sufficient alone because then the RHS remains zero or positive.

Last edited by freedom on 10 Aug 2010, 07:56, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 1

Re: explaination to a DS question.....plz help [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 00:45
dc123 wrote:
is ((X-3)^2)^1/2 = 3-X ?

1) X does not = 3

2) -X|X| > 0

Help me plzz...Want to Master the GMAT HAHA!

((X-3)^2)^1/2 = X-3 is X>=3 OR
((X-3)^2)^1/2 = 3-X if X<=3

st 1) x!=3, not sufficient as we dont know if x is greater than 3 or less than 3
st 2) -X|X| > 0 .. as |X| is always postive, X has to be negative. so ((X-3)^2)^1/2 = 3-X. sufficient

B
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB - Co 2013
WE 1: IT Professional since 2006
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 101 [1] , given: 8

Re: explaination to a DS question.....plz help [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 01:42
This post received
KUDOS
dc123 wrote:
is ((X-3)^2)^1/2 = 3-X ?

1) X does not = 3

2) -X|X| > 0

For {\sqrt{(X-3)^2} = 3-X to be true, 3-X will always have to be positive or 0, because in GMAT a root can not be negetive. So 3-X>0 or X<3.

S1:X =! 3, but is it less than 3? we dont know. Not sufficient.
S2: -X|X|>0, so either both (-X and |X|) are -ive or both are +ive. |X| can not be negetive so -X must be +ive, or X must be negetive, which would clearly be less than 3. Sufficient.

Answer: B

Respect,
Vaibhav

PS: Correct me if I am wrong.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: explaination to a DS question.....plz help [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 22:48
vaibhavtripathi wrote:
dc123 wrote:
is ((X-3)^2)^1/2 = 3-X ?

1) X does not = 3

2) -X|X| > 0

For {\sqrt{(X-3)^2} = 3-X to be true, 3-X will always have to be positive or 0, because in GMAT a root can not be negetive. So 3-X>0 or X<3.

S2: -X|X|>0, so either both (-X and |X|) are -ive or both are +ive. |X| can not be negetive so -X must be +ive, or X must be negetive, which would clearly be less than 3. Sufficient.

I like your simple way of solving but how do you know ((X-3)^2)^1/2 = 3-X ? the question is asking us if this is true not to take it as true. Unless you believe that in order for the equation to be true this has to be the case.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1153

Kudos [?]: 5368 [0], given: 165

Re: gmat prep Q [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 04:25
Expert's post
mrcrescentfresh wrote:
I am having a hard time grasping why we cannot simplify the problem as:

((X-3)^2)^1/2 = (3 - X) to (X - 3)^2 = (3 - X)^2?

I know I have worked problems before where we have been able to solve it by squaring both sides, but when done in this scenario the answer is entirely different than the OA.

Please help.

That is because if the question says:
Is 5 = -5?
And you do not know but you square both sides and get 25 = 25
Can you say then that 5 = -5? No!

I understand that you would have successfully used the technique of squaring both sides before but that would be in conditions like these:
Given equation: \sqrt{X} = 3
Squaring both sides: X = 9
Here you already know that the equation holds so you can square it. It will still hold. This is like saying:
It is given that 5 = 5.
Squaring both sides, 25 = 25 which is true.

This question is similar to the first case. It is asked whether \sqrt{((X-3)^2)} = (3 - X)?

LHS is positive because \sqrt{((X-3)^2)} = |X-3|
and by definition of mod, we know that
|X| = X if X is positive or zero and -X if X is negative (or zero).
Since |X-3| = - (X - 3), we can say that X - 3 <= 0 or that X <= 3
So the question is: Is X <= 3?
Stmnt 1 not sufficient.
But stmnt 2 says -X|X| > 0
This means -X|X| is positive.
Since |X| will be positive, X must be negative to get rid of the extra negative sign in front. So this statement tells us that X < 0. Then X must be definitely less than 3. Sufficient.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post

Re: gmat prep Q [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 04:32
Expert's post
iambroke wrote:
Quote:

Ok, that was news to me, but loks like you are right, just read through the OG for the first time just to confirm this. I hope the OG covers all such limitations that the test itself imposes(If not, please let me know). Thanks for the clarification though.

This is not GMAT specific! It is the convention.

Given x = \sqrt{9}, x = 3 only

Given x^2 = 9, x can be 3 or -3

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post

Re: explaination to a DS question.....plz help [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 04:38
Expert's post
vaibhavtripathi wrote:
dc123 wrote:
is ((X-3)^2)^1/2 = 3-X ?

1) X does not = 3

2) -X|X| > 0

A word of caution: This works only because left side of the equation has X - 3.
If I twist the question a little:
Is {\sqrt{(X-1)^2} = 3-X
I get: |X - 1| = 3 - X
This has only one solution X = 2. So now the question is: Is X = 2? (Not Is X < 3?) It is a more specific question now.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 7

Re: gmat prep Q [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 14:49
Bunuel wrote:

I am confused. I thought there was some kind of agreement that square root sign indicates a positive number.

(For example, \sqrt{25}=5 and not "-5").

On the other hand, if x^2=25, then x can be 5 or -5.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28829 [0], given: 2852

Re: gmat prep Q [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 15:23
Expert's post
Fijisurf wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I am confused. I thought there was some kind of agreement that square root sign indicates a positive number.

(For example, \sqrt{25}=5 and not "-5").

On the other hand, if x^2=25, then x can be 5 or -5.

Frankly speaking I don't see contradiction between the fact that \sqrt{x^2}=|x| and that even roots give non-negative result, as absolute value also gives non-negative result.

Anyway:

Square root function can not give negative result: wich means that \sqrt{some \ expression}\geq{0}, or \sqrt{x}\geq{0}.

So, when the GMAT provides the square root sign for an even root, such as \sqrt{x} or \sqrt[4]{x}, then the only accepted answer is the non-negative root.

That is, \sqrt{25}=5, NOT +5 or -5. In contrast, the equation x^2=25 has TWO solutions, +5 and -5. Even roots have only non-negative value on the GMAT.

On the other hand absolute value is also non-negative |some \ expression|\geq{0}, or |x|\geq{0} (absolute value of x, |x|, is a distance between point x on a number line and zero, so distance can not be negative).

As for \sqrt{x^2}=|x|:

Consider following examples:
If x=5 --> \sqrt{x^2}=\sqrt{25}=5=x=positive;
If x=-5 --> \sqrt{x^2}=\sqrt{25}=5=-x=positive.

So we got that:
\sqrt{x^2}=x, if x\geq{0};
\sqrt{x^2}=-x, if x<0.

Which exactly what the absolute value function does: |x|=x if x\geq{0} and |x|=-x if x\leq{0}. So, \sqrt{x^2}=|x|.

Is this still confusing?

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

1 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 111 [1] , given: 0

Re: Algebra DS question [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2010, 01:03
This post received
KUDOS
rahuljaiswal wrote:
20. Is \sqrt{(x-3)^2} = 3 - x ?
(1) x ≠ 3
(2) – x | x | > 0

Did not understand Statement 2 at all..is that a product?
Kindly help

P.S: the question reads as " Is square root of square of (x-3) equal to (3 - x) ?"
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

Hi!

Statement (2) reads as "the product of (negative x) and (absolute value of x) is positive".

Since |x| is always non-negative (i.e. |x|=0 when x=0 and is positive for all other values of x), in order for statement (2) to be true, x must be negative, giving us:

-(-) * |-| > 0

+ * + > 0

which is true.

So, basically, (2) is a fancy way of saying:

x < 0.

Now that you know how to interpret (2), try the question again - if you still need a hand, let us know where you get stuck!

Stuart Kovinsky
stuart.kovinsky@kaplan.com
Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions
Toronto Office
1-800-KAP-TEST
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 7

GMAT Prep1 Question: IS sqrt(an expression) >= 0 always ?? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 22:01
There is a DS question on GMAT Prep1 test that I came across:

\sqrt{(x-3)^2} = 3-x

1. x !=3
2. -x|x| >0.

I looked at Bunuel's solution: is-sqrt-x-3-2-3-x-1-x-not-equal-to-3-2-x-x-62992.html

He says that sqrt(expression) will always return >=0, is this right?

I thought that sqrt(25) for instance would be +- 5, and not just 5. Can anyone please help me with understanding this?

I do not agree with the explanation, please help.

Paras.

If you found my post helpful give KUDOS!!! Everytime you thank me but don't give Kudos, an Angel dies!

My GMAT Debrief:

I am now providing personalized one to one GMAT coaching over Skype at a nominal fee. Hurry up to get an early bird discount! Send me an IM to know more.

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 717 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: GMAT Prep1 Question: IS sqrt(an expression) >= 0 always ?? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 22:22
soods26 wrote:

\sqrt{(x-3)^2} = 3-x

1. x !=3
2. -x|x| >0.

I looked at Bunuel's solution: is-sqrt-x-3-2-3-x-1-x-not-equal-to-3-2-x-x-62992.html

I thought that sqrt(25) for instance would be +- 5, and not just 5. Can anyone please help me with understanding this?

As far as gmatclub is concerned, when Bunuel says something, I take it as my final source for that bit of information. So you can rest assured that he is right.

Coming to your question
if x^2 = 25, then x = + or - 5

However, if x = \sqrt{25}, then x = 5

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 7

Re: GMAT Prep1 Question: IS sqrt(an expression) >= 0 always ?? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 22:42
MacFauz wrote:
As far as gmatclub is concerned, when Bunuel says something, I take it as my final source for that bit of information. So you can rest assured that he is right.

Coming to your question

Thank you for your reply, I have been around in hiding on GMAT Club long enough to know the "demi-god" that Bunuel is :)

However coming to:

x^2 = 25,

the next step in solving the above equation, is taking roots both sizes, which gives us:

x = \sqrt{25}, which according to you above gives x = 5 and not +- 5.

So there lies my confusion ...

Paras.

If you found my post helpful give KUDOS!!! Everytime you thank me but don't give Kudos, an Angel dies!

My GMAT Debrief:

I am now providing personalized one to one GMAT coaching over Skype at a nominal fee. Hurry up to get an early bird discount! Send me an IM to know more.

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 717 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: GMAT Prep1 Question: IS sqrt(an expression) >= 0 always ?? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 22:51
soods26 wrote:
MacFauz wrote:

Coming to your question

Thank you for your reply, I have been around in hiding on GMAT Club long enough to know the "demi-god" that Bunuel is :)

However coming to:

x^2 = 25,

the next step in solving the above equation, is taking roots both sizes, which gives us:

x = \sqrt{25}, which according to you above gives x = 5 and not +- 5.

So there lies my confusion ...

x^2 = 25 does not mean the same as x = \sqrt{25}

The radical(square root) symbol is just another operator similar to a + or -. Hence \sqrt{25} can only take one value and that is the positive one.

While x^2 = 25 is an equation that needs to be solved, x = \sqrt{25} emphatically gives the value of x and is just a roundabout way of saying x = 5.

Hope it is clear.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28829 [0], given: 2852

Re: GMAT Prep1 Question: IS sqrt(an expression) >= 0 always ?? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 02:34
Expert's post
soods26 wrote:

\sqrt{(x-3)^2} = 3-x

1. x !=3
2. -x|x| >0.

Merging similar topics. Please refer to the solutions above.

As for your doubt check here: is-root-x-3-2-3-x-92204.html#p832971

P.S. Please read carefully and follow: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html Pay attention to the rule #3: the name of a topic (subject field) MUST be the first 40 characters (~the first two sentences) of the question.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Re: GMAT Prep1 Question: IS sqrt(an expression) >= 0 always ??   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2013, 02:34

Is root{(x-3)^2}=3-x?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 25 posts ] 

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap