Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is round 1 that much better than round 2?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Is round 1 that much better than round 2? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2009, 10:05
Hey Alex, I was hoping to get your honest assessment of my situation...

Essentially, to be brutally honest with myself, I have grossly underestimated the time and prep required to score 700+ on the gmat. I was halfassedly studying for the last month and a half and have done some practice tests and I am nowhere near where I need to be in terms of timing and accuracy. If I clamped down and studied hard over the next month, I am still not comfortable that I would be a lock for 700+. I think what I need is a prep course, however all the live courses I have come across are 2 month courses (8 classes, a day a week). This would make it virtually impossible to get my application in for first round given the timing of the courses.

The question boils down to this:

a) Do I absolutely need 700+ to crack the top 5 schools?
b) Am I better off applying in the second round with a higher gmat (700+) or should I take my chances, potentially get below 700, and apply in the first round (where I assume there's less competition)?

An interesting note from the HBS admissions' director blog (HBS website):

"What is the difference between applying in round one and round two?"

Not much. We'll make roughly the same number of admissions offers in each round. While we have a smaller number of applications in round one, I will generalize and say that they historically tend to be a very organized and eager group who want to know where they stand as soon as possible.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Is round 1 that much better than round 2? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2009, 18:07
To answer your questions:

(1) Yes. Sure, if you're at 680 or below, you can still get in (10% have scores below 680) -- but it's not because they're amazing applicants - they're LUCKY (plenty of others who are also amazing got dinged as well, even with 700+ scores). Anything below 700, and you're gambling.

(2) Yes. There is no real difference between rounds 1 and 2. Yet, year after year some applicants microanalyze the differences between both rounds.

Retake the GMAT and apply in Round 2.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: Is round 1 that much better than round 2? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2009, 20:43
Thanks Alex, appreciate it.
Re: Is round 1 that much better than round 2?   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2009, 20:43