Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 04:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is square root[(y-4)^2] = 4-y?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Is square root[(y-4)^2] = 4-y? [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 21:33
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (02:25) correct 46% (01:25) wrong based on 284 sessions
Is \sqrt{(y-4)^2} = 4-y?

(1) |y-3| less than or equal to 1
(2) y*|y|>0

Please provide a full answer please and thank you
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 290 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Is [square_root](y-4)^2[/square_root] = 4-y? [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 23:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
sqrt{(y-4)^2} = |y-4|

And |y-4| = 4-y if y-4 < 0

or |y-4| = 4-y if y < 4

1) |y-3| less than or equal to 1

|y-3| <= 1

Square both sides
y^2 - 6y + 9 <= 1

y^2 -4y - 2y + 8 <=0
(y-2)(y-4) <=0

=> 2 <= y <= 3

So y < 4

Sufficient

2) y*|y| > 0

This is insufficient becuase

y = 5 and y = 1, both satisfy the condition

Answer - A

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3504

Kudos [?]: 26496 [3] , given: 2712

Re: Is square root[(y-4)^2] = 4-y? [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2012, 05:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Is \sqrt{(y-4)^2} = 4-y?

Is \sqrt{(y-4)^2}=4-y? --> is |y-4|=4-y? is y\leq{4}?

(1) |y-3| less than or equal to 1 --> |y-3| is just the distance between 3 and y on the number line. We are told that this distance is less than or equal to 1: --2----3----4-- so, 2\leq{y}\leq{4}. Sufficient.

(2) y*|y|>0 --> just says that y>0. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

subhashghosh wrote:
sqrt{(y-4)^2} = |y-4|

And |y-4| = 4-y if y-4 < 0

or |y-4| = 4-y if y < 4

Just a little correction, which didn't play a part for this question though may be crucial for others:
|y-4|=4-y if y-4\leq{0}, you missed "=" sign --> if y=4 the equation still holds true.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
WE: Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 7

Re: Is square root[(y-4)^2] = 4-y? [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 12:55
Bunuel wrote:

Just a little correction, which didn't play a part for this question though may be crucial for others:
|y-4|=4-y if y-4\leq{0}, you missed "=" sign --> if y=4 the equation still holds true.

I just cannot understand why do you use the inequality to restate the question? does not is simply states that |y-4| = 4-y -> y-4=4-y -> y=4 ? Otherwise, it is 0=0.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 26496 [0], given: 2712

Re: Is square root[(y-4)^2] = 4-y? [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 13:04
Expert's post
JubtaGubar wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I just cannot understand why do you use the inequality to restate the question? does not is simply states that |y-4| = 4-y -> y-4=4-y -> y=4 ? Otherwise, it is 0=0.

Because |y-4|=4-y holds true for y\leq{4} and not only for y=4.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Jones '15 (M)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: Is square root[(y-4)^2] = 4-y? [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 13:52
Bunuel wrote:
JubtaGubar wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Because |y-4|=4-y holds true for y\leq{4} and not only for y=4.

Bunuel - I did the same thing as JubtaGubar and I'm still confused on how you and subhashghosh came to that conclusion so quickly (that y\leq{4}).

Thank you
Current Student

Re: Is square root[(y-4)^2] = 4-y? [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 16:34
I think I figured it out --- this \sqrt{(y-4)^2} must be positive (anything squared and/or taken to its square root) which is essentially like saying that the left side must be positive or absolute value of the left side of the equation and so the right side must also be positive (or > 0). The only way that can happen is when y\leq{4}

Am I thinking about that correctly?
Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 26496 [6] , given: 2712

Re: Is square root[(y-4)^2] = 4-y? [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 10:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
destroyerofgmat wrote:
Bunuel - I did the same thing as JubtaGubar and I'm still confused on how you and subhashghosh came to that conclusion so quickly (that y\leq{4}).

Thank you

aalba005 wrote:
+1, I am confused on the math and how you were able to simplify question step in 2 steps.

destroyerofgmat wrote:
I think I figured it out --- this \sqrt{(y-4)^2} must be positive (anything squared and/or taken to its square root) which is essentially like saying that the left side must be positive or absolute value of the left side of the equation and so the right side must also be positive (or > 0). The only way that can happen is when y\leq{4}

Absolute value properties:
When x\leq{0} then |x|=-x, or more generally when some \ expression\leq{0} then |some \ expression|={-(some \ expression)}. For example: |-5|=5=-(-5);

When x\geq{0} then |x|=x, or more generally when some \ expression\geq{0} then |some \ expression|={some \ expression}. For example: |5|=5;

Next:
Must know for the GMAT: \sqrt{x^2}=|x|.

The point here is that as square root function can not give negative result then \sqrt{some \ expression}\geq{0}.

So \sqrt{x^2}\geq{0}. But what does \sqrt{x^2} equal to?

Let's consider following examples:
If x=5 --> \sqrt{x^2}=\sqrt{25}=5=x=positive;
If x=-5 --> \sqrt{x^2}=\sqrt{25}=5=-x=positive.

So we got that:
\sqrt{x^2}=x, if x\geq{0};
\sqrt{x^2}=-x, if x<0.

What function does exactly the same thing? The absolute value function: |x|=x, if x\geq{0} and |x|=-x, if x<0. That is why \sqrt{x^2}=|x|.

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION:

Question asks: is \sqrt{(y-4)^2}=4-y?

Now, according to the above \sqrt{(y-4)^2}=|y-4|? So the question becomes: is |y-4|=4-y? --> or is |y-4|=-(y-4)? Which, again according to the properties of absolute value, is true when y-4\leq{0} or when y\leq{4}.

Hope it's clear.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Current Student

Re: Is square root[(y-4)^2] = 4-y? [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 11:01
Awesome!! Thanks Bunuel!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 134

Re: Is square root[(y-4)^2] = 4-y? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 11:19
Wait, when you multiply (4-y) by negative one, is that because you assume the absolute value is negative? I mean, I get that when you have absolute value with a variable you have to assume that the product is negative (thus multiplying the result by -1) but why do you do that here?

Bunuel wrote:
destroyerofgmat wrote:

Thank you

aalba005 wrote:
+1, I am confused on the math and how you were able to simplify question step in 2 steps.

destroyerofgmat wrote:

When x\leq{0} then |x|=-x, or more generally when some \ expression\leq{0} then |some \ expression|\leq{-(some \ expression)}. For example: |-5|=5=-(-5);

When x\geq{0} then |x|=x, or more generally when some \ expression\geq{0} then |some \ expression|\leq{some \ expression}. For example: |5|=5;

Next:

The point here is that as square root function can not give negative result then \sqrt{some \ expression}\geq{0}.

So we got that:
\sqrt{x^2}=-x, if x<0.

What function does exactly the same thing? The absolute value function: |x|=x, if x\geq{0} and |x|=-x, if x<0. That is why \sqrt{x^2}=|x|.

Now, according to the above \sqrt{(y-4)^2}=|y-4|? So the question becomes: is |y-4|=4-y? --> or is |y-4|=-(y-4)? Which, again according to the properties of absolute value, is true when y-4\leq{0} or when y\leq{4}.

Hope it's clear.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 39

Re: Is square root[(y-4)^2] = 4-y? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 15:09
shawndx wrote:
Is \sqrt{(y-4)^2} = 4-y?

(2) y*|y|>0

Please provide a full answer please and thank you

the question basically asks whether or not /y-4/ = 4-y ,i.e. - (y-4) thus the question asks whether y-4<= 0 , is y<=4

from 1

/y-3/<=1 i.e. y is in the range -1<y-3<1 ........... 2<y<4... ............ suff since the whole range is less than 4

from 2

y is +ve and therefore /y/ = y and the inequality becomes y^2>0 .... put another way /y/ >0 ( originally this is equivalent to y<0 or y>0 if we dont know what y is but since we know that y is +ve then y>0 ........insuff ( could be bigger than 4)

A
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Is square root[(y-4)^2] = 4-y? [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 22:36
Expert's post
WholeLottaLove wrote:
Wait, when you multiply (4-y) by negative one, is that because you assume the absolute value is negative? I mean, I get that when you have absolute value with a variable you have to assume that the product is negative (thus multiplying the result by -1) but why do you do that here?

Bunuel wrote:
destroyerofgmat wrote:

Thank you

aalba005 wrote:

destroyerofgmat wrote:

When x\leq{0} then |x|=-x, or more generally when some \ expression\leq{0} then |some \ expression|\leq{-(some \ expression)}. For example: |-5|=5=-(-5);

When x\geq{0} then |x|=x, or more generally when some \ expression\geq{0} then |some \ expression|\leq{some \ expression}. For example: |5|=5;

Next:

So we got that:
\sqrt{x^2}=-x, if x<0.

Hope it's clear.

Not sure understand your question. Can you please elaborate?

P.S. Note that the absolute value is ALWAYS non-negative, also I did not multiply anything by -1...

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Is square root[(y-4)^2] = 4-y? [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 09:15
Not sure understand your question. Can you please elaborate?

P.S. Note that the absolute value is ALWAYS non-negative, also I did not multiply anything by -1...[/quote]

Sorry for the confusion.

For example, I just did a problem where I was given the absolute value of a variable - an integer. To solve I did the following:

|2x-12| < 10

2x-12 < 10

2x-12 > -10

In other words I solves for cases where 10 is positive and 10 is negative. Why wouldn't I do that with |y-4| = 4-y. Is is because the Sq. Rt. of the square guarantees that y-4 is positive?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Is square root[(y-4)^2] = 4-y? [#permalink] New post 16 May 2013, 23:02
Expert's post
It seems that you need to brush up your fundamentals on absolute value:

Theory on absolute value is HERE.
PS absolute value questions are HERE.
DS absolute value questions are HERE.
700+ absolute value questions HERE.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Is square root[(y-4)^2] = 4-y? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 19:38
I have a question...

So we know that |y-4|=4-y. We can take two cases, the positive and negative:

Positive
y-4=4-y
2y=8
y=4

Negative
-y+4=4-y
0=8
(naturally, that isn't valid)

so for 1) |y-3|≤1

y-3≤1
y≤4

-y+3≤1
-y≤-2
y≥2

so 2≤y≤4

Is that a valid way of solving for 1) ?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Is square root[(y-4)^2] = 4-y? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 20:38
This post received
KUDOS
WholeLottaLove wrote:
Is that a valid way of solving for 1) ?

Yes, looks fine!

A lot of people are thinking of this too quantitatively - sometimes it's faster and easier to just think of the idea behind it.

This is essentially what Bunuel did, but I'm just going to throw in some more words:

Looking at the expression |y-3|≤1, if you think about it for a second, it just says the difference between y and 3 is less than or equal to 1, so 2≤y≤4.

Additionally, looking at the question, we're asking "Is the square root of some square difference equal to the negative of that difference?"

Square roots must be non-negative, so the question is essentially asking "Is the right hand side expression non-negative?" I.e, "Is y <= 4?"

The solution comes very easily from there - anyways my point is not to try and do calculations all the time; while I can relate to strict mathematics being the intuitive way to approach problems, it's usually not the most efficient.

KUDOS please if my post was useful!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Is square root[(y-4)^2] = 4-y? [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 16:17
Is √(y-4)^2 = 4-y?

Is |y - 4| = 4 - y?
(4 - y) must be positive as it is equal to an absolute value. So, y ≤ 4

|y-3| ≤ 1
Two cases:

Positive: y≥3:
(y - 3) ≤ 1
y ≤ 4
Invalid: the range of y ≥ 3 but y ≤ 4 meaning y might be greater than three but it might be less than three also.

Negative: y < 3
-(y - 3) ≤ 1
-y + 3 ≤ 1
-y ≤ -2
y ≥ 2
Invalid: as with the positive case, the range is less than 3 and y is greater than or equal to two. It may fall within the range but it may be greater than it as well.
Both cases fail.
SUFFICIENT

(2) y*|y|>0
for y*|y|>0 y must be positive. Therefore, y > 0 but we don't know if it's 0 < y < 4 or y > 4.
INSUFFICIENT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Is square root[(y-4)^2] = 4-y? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 14:35
Is sqrt(y-4)^2 = 4-y?
Is |y-4| = 4-y?
y<4

|y-3| < 1
2<y<4
SUFFICIENT

(2) y*|y|>0
y must be positive, however, it could be greater than four.
INSUFFICIENT

(A)
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 312

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Is square root[(y-4)^2] = 4-y? [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 02:03
Would like to limit the solution:

SQRT [ (y-4)^2 ] = 4-y

Let Y-4 = Z

|Z| = -(Z) , For this to hold Z has to be negative or zero

Rephrase Is Z<=0 = > Is Y <= 4

(1). Tells the same Y <= 4 Sufficient

(2). Tells Y >0 Insufficient

Hence (A).

Rgds,
TGC!

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 11-18-2013

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: Is square root[(y-4)^2] = 4-y? [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 09:05
Simple substitution of values can also help.
Lets consider, LHS: y=5 i.e. y>4 then, sqrt(y-4)^2= sqrt(5-4)^2=1
RHS: (4-y)=> (4-5)=(-1) hence for y>4 this statement will not hold true.---------------(1)
Statement1: |y-3| less than or equal to 1=>|y-3|<=1
Be careful when you have modulus. When you remove the modulus you get two equations:
eqn1: (y-3)<=1 implies y<=4
eqn1: (y-3)>=(-1) implies y>=2 Remember when the sign in negative on RHS, put the greater than equal to sign.
Hence your final result is: 2<=Y<=4, so y is either equal or less than 4 which means as per (1) will make the statement true. Hence this statement is sufficient.

Statement 2: y*|y|>0 which implies y>0 since |y| will always be greater than 0.
But this does not ensure that y>4 or y<4, so this statement does not guarantee anything. Hence insufficient.
Re: Is square root[(y-4)^2] = 4-y?   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2013, 09:05