Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is the calculator in IR correct?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 17

Is the calculator in IR correct? [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 10:44
This post received
KUDOS
Hi experts,

I might be alone on this, but I encountered a unexpected behavior about the GMATPREP calculator.

On my IR mocks, I used the calculator for calculations and got all of them wrong because I might have pressed the equal (=) key or the multiply (*) key twice.
When I was reviewing, I discovered that if (=) key is pressed twice, it repeats the earlier operation.
Similarly, if (*) or any other operation key is pressed twice, it keeps on repeating that operation even if you don't press any of the digits.

Hence I have decided to use the numpad from next time to be safe. But just wanted to confirm if the calculator performs exactly as in GMAT

I am using most recent GMATPrep software (294). So I guess even current GMAT on screen calculator for IR is the same.

Thanks..
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 470

Kudos [?]: 1854 [3] , given: 29

Re: Is the calculator in IR correct? [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 12:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
soumens wrote:
Hi experts,

I might be alone on this, but I encountered a unexpected behavior about the GMATPREP calculator.

On my IR mocks, I used the calculator for calculations and got all of them wrong because I might have pressed the equal (=) key or the multiply (*) key twice.
When I was reviewing, I discovered that if (=) key is pressed twice, it repeats the earlier operation.
Similarly, if (*) or any other operation key is pressed twice, it keeps on repeating that operation even if you don't press any of the digits.

Hence I have decided to use the numpad from next time to be safe. But just wanted to confirm if the calculator performs exactly as in GMAT

I am using most recent GMATPrep software (294). So I guess even current GMAT on screen calculator for IR is the same.

Thanks..

Hi, there.

I'm happy to help with this. :-)

Yes, pressing either the = key or the * key more than once will repeat operations. You have to be exceedingly careful to press each button only the number of times you intend to press it. As for the keypad ---- I would caution against that only because, if you get used to it, then no keypad on test day will be a rude awakening. You want to simulate real test conditions as much as possible in your practice, so that you don't have to deal with extraneous stress on test day.

Here's a blog about the IR calculator that you might find helpful.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/the-integr ... alculator/
Note the absence of order of operations on that calculator.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 17

Re: Is the calculator in IR correct? [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 10:41
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks Mike. The blog info is great.

Kudos 2 u!!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Is the calculator in IR correct? [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 00:43
Yep. I discovered it today. The calculator is crazy. Need to be ready for it in the test.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 470

Kudos [?]: 1854 [0], given: 29

Re: Is the calculator in IR correct? [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 09:12
Expert's post
ss236060 wrote:
Yep. I discovered it today. The calculator is crazy. Need to be ready for it in the test.

Yes, it is a very good idea to get used to this particular calculator, with all its idiosyncrasies, before you sit for the real test. Let me know if you have any further question, ss236060.
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: Is the calculator in IR correct?   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2013, 09:12