Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 13:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is the intersection of two lines x + y = 8 and 4y - 4x=16 in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: Mays '16
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V21
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 35

Is the intersection of two lines x + y = 8 and 4y - 4x=16 in [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 19:55
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

48% (02:03) correct 52% (01:21) wrong based on 64 sessions
Is the intersection of two lines x + y = 8 and 4y - 4x=16 inside the circle: x^2 + y^2 = r^2

(1) r = 81
(2) The center of the circle is at the coordinate (-99,-99)

I doubt on OA , plz explain if you've got the right answer.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Don't give up on yourself ever. Period.
Beat it, no one wants to be defeated (My journey from 570 to 690) : beat-it-no-one-wants-to-be-defeated-journey-570-to-149968.html

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 666 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: is the intersection of two lines x + y = 8 and 4y - 4x=16 [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 20:48
daviesj wrote:
Is the intersection of two lines x + y = 8 and 4y - 4x=16 inside the circle: x^2 + y^2 = r^2

1. r = 81

2. The center of the circle is at the coordinate (-99,-99)

We ahve two known lines and hence we can find the point of intersection. We need to find whether that point of intersection falls within a circle with centre at the origin and radius "r".

1) Radius can be found and hence circle can be plotted and whether the point falls within the circle or not can be determined. Sufficient.

2) I doubt this statement as it is contradictory to both the question statement and statement 1.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Re: is the intersection of two lines x + y = 8 and 4y - 4x=16 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 17:39
If we know the radius and center , then we can determine whether a point lies in the circle or not.

By question statement it seems that center is at 0,0 if x and y are actual coordinates not the shifted ones

Option A tells us about radius , so it is sufficient.

Option B changes the question statement by shifting the coordinates 99 down and left and tells nothing about radius - so not sufficient.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 160

Re: is the intersection of two lines x + y = 8 and 4y - 4x=16 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 22:46
MacFauz wrote:
daviesj wrote:

1. r = 81

2. The center of the circle is at the coordinate (-99,-99)

We ahve two known lines and hence we can find the point of intersection. We need to find whether that point of intersection falls within a circle with centre at the origin and radius "r".

1) Radius can be found and hence circle can be plotted and whether the point falls within the circle or not can be determined. Sufficient.

2) I doubt this statement as it is contradictory to both the question statement and statement 1.

Please can body elaborate more on this? How can we find the point of intersection if equation of two lines are given?
Thanks.

- Stne

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1138 [2] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: is the intersection of two lines x + y = 8 and 4y - 4x=16 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 22:51
This post received
KUDOS
stne wrote:

Please can body elaborate more on this? How can we find the point of intersection if equation of two lines are given?
Thanks.

To find the intersection of two lines, you have to solve the system of equations:

x + y = 8
4y - 4x=16

Personally I would multiply the first by 4 => 4x + 4y = 8*4 and sum it to the second => 4x + 4y +4y-4x=16+ 8*4 or 8y=48, y=6.
Now substitute the value of y into one of the two equations (does not matter which one) => x + 6 = 8 , x=2.
Point of intersection (2,6).

Hope it's clear.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager

Re: is the intersection of two lines x + y = 8 and 4y - 4x=16 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 22:58
Zarrolou wrote:
stne wrote:

Thanks.

To find the intersection of two lines, you have to solve the system of equations:

x + y = 8
4y - 4x=16

Personally I would multiply the first by 4 => 4x + 4y = 8*4 and sum it to the second => 4x + 4y +4y-4x=16+ 8*4 or 8y=48, y=6.
Now substitute the value of y into one of the two equations (does not matter which one) => x + 6 = 8 , x=2.
Point of intersection (2,6).

Hope it's clear.

Great that helps +1 ! Also the equation of the circle x^2+ y^2 =r^2 , does this equation mean that the circle is centered at the origin, passes through xand y and has a radius r?

- Stne

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1138 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: is the intersection of two lines x + y = 8 and 4y - 4x=16 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 23:03
This post received
KUDOS
stne wrote:

Great that helps +1 ! Also the equation of the circle x^2+ y^2 =r^2 , does this equation mean that the circle is centered at the origin, passes through xand y and has a radius r?

Yes.
The equation of a circle is (x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2, where the point (a,b) is the center, and here is (0,0); and r is the radius.

The circle passes through the point (x,y) that satisfy that equation.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 256

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: is the intersection of two lines x + y = 8 and 4y - 4x=16 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 16:15
Zarrolou wrote:
stne wrote:

Yes.
The equation of a circle is (x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2, where the point (a,b) is the center, and here is (0,0); and r is the radius.

But I don't get it how come question stem says circle is centered at original whilst second statement states other coordinates for the center of the circle?

Would anybody clarify if the question is indeed flawed as I suspect it is?

Cheers!
J :)
Manager
Manager

Re: is the intersection of two lines x + y = 8 and 4y - 4x=16 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 21:41
jlgdr wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:
stne wrote:

Yes.

But I don't get it how come question stem says circle is centered at original whilst second statement states other coordinates for the center of the circle?

Would anybody clarify if the question is indeed flawed as I suspect it is?

Cheers!
J :)

yes the equation of the circle in general form is (x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2 where a and b are the coordinates of the center, but over here it is given that the equation of the circle is x^2+ y^2 =r^2 hence a and b are 0, so the circle is centered at the origin. This is in contradiction with statement 2.

Yes you are correct, the statement 2 contradicts with the stem.

Also mentioned here : is-the-intersection-of-two-lines-x-y-8-and-4y-4x-147421.html#p1183570

hope that helps.

- Stne

Re: is the intersection of two lines x + y = 8 and 4y - 4x=16   [#permalink] 28 Dec 2013, 21:41