Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is the MBA from IMD respected in North America?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 179 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Is the MBA from IMD respected in North America? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 16:22
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello everyone! I would like to get your input about IMD's MBA being respected and accepted in North America. Will it be an issue to find a job in north america (whether canada or U.S.) after graduating with an MBA from IMD?

I think your responses will make it really interesting for those who inspire to join IMD's MBA program.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Is the MBA from IMD respected in North America? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 21:15
I think,doing MBA from a Europeon Business School can sometimes make the job hunting difficult in North America.IMD is not a brand name in North America compared to GSB,HBS etc. Think of this ,if you apply to a job and the recruiter does not know much about IMD,than he/she is not going to call you for an interview. One more thing you have to keep in mind is that you will be competing against candidates from schools such as HBS,GSB,Wharton etc. and graduates from these schools have already proven themselves in American Market. I was reading interview of an ex AdCom from Wharton and he was of the same opinion. He said that IMD is very good school ( we all know about ) ,but the hiring manger might know about it. In North America,most of the hiring manager are graduates of American Business School so they have a natural preference for the students from American school Vs Europeon Schools. I think the best way to enter into American Market would be to work for a Company having presence in Europeon as well Americal Market (In true sense very big Multinational),and try to get tranfer here in North America after some time. ISB (in India) has got better ranking than Kelloggs but graduates from ISB find it difficult to get job in North America. You must consider the other factors as well
1) If need visa to work in US ,than studing in US makes it lot more easier. Employer does not have to wait for Visa approval as Internation students get 1 year (now I guess its about 30 months) of work permit. This allows international graduates to start working right after the school.
2) Every time you try to look for a job or try to change the job, you will have to sell your IMD degree to him/her.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is the MBA from IMD respected in North America? [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2008, 00:51
thanks for the response. well, i'm not concerned about getting a visa because i'm immigrating to canada, so, eventually, the visa for the U.S. should no longer be an issue. I'm only concerned about the possibility of finding a job in either america or canada with IMD's MBA.

Regarding the selling of the IMD to those who may not know about the school, is it really suppose to be hard when you can always show its rankings made on both the economist and the business week? Do the americans perceive the swiss educational system on a positive light? I understand that if they don't know about IMD, then I should be doing some selling, but the question is do most of them know about IMD? at least in the big multinational companies in U.S. and Canada? that's what i'm wondering...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is the MBA from IMD respected in North America? [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2008, 01:23
Frankly, IMD is not even well-known in Switzerland, since it is not a Swiss Federal Institute such as HSG St. Gallen. But as you mentioned, IMD has placed itself over the last years in the rankings as one of the best B-schools in Europe.

Therefore, I am sure that any people in US or Europe who really know (or have to know) about B-Schools will know IMD. Maybe you should try to get in touch with an IMD alumnus who is currently working in US...

Cheers,
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is the MBA from IMD respected in North America? [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2008, 04:49
catgmat wrote:
Frankly, IMD is not even well-known in Switzerland, since it is not a Swiss Federal Institute such as HSG St. Gallen. But as you mentioned, IMD has placed itself over the last years in the rankings as one of the best B-schools in Europe.

Therefore, I am sure that any people in US or Europe who really know (or have to know) about B-Schools will know IMD. Maybe you should try to get in touch with an IMD alumnus who is currently working in US...

Cheers,

yeah, I think that's an interesting idea. I've already found some alumnis working in the U.S. thanks to facebook...heheh....I just hope that they give me their honest answers rather than being biased supporting IMD simply cause they went there. I know that IMD is an awesome school, but I would just like to see the career opportunities within the U.S. I know that the career opportunities for the IMD alumni is at least awesome for the rest of the world.

I have a question for you, what do you think is the difference between IMD and INSEAD? which one do you think has a better or probably stronger reputation on international level and why? since INSEAD is also a great school, I don't think the people living in France even know about INSEAD surprisingly.

thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is the MBA from IMD respected in North America? [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2008, 08:19
tarek99 wrote:

yeah, I think that's an interesting idea. I've already found some alumnis working in the U.S. thanks to facebook...heheh....I just hope that they give me their honest answers rather than being biased supporting IMD simply cause they went there. I know that IMD is an awesome school, but I would just like to see the career opportunities within the U.S. I know that the career opportunities for the IMD alumni is at least awesome for the rest of the world.

I have a question for you, what do you think is the difference between IMD and INSEAD? which one do you think has a better or probably stronger reputation on international level and why? since INSEAD is also a great school, I don't think the people living in France even know about INSEAD surprisingly.

thanks!

Well, I think that you are completely right, because HEC is much more well-known in France than INSEAD is. But on the other hand, INSEAD like LBS is super well-known in US job market, partly because of the powerful INSEAD alumni network that is growing with 700 new members every year, partly because INSEAD has an alliance with Warthon BS and a campus in Singapur.

However, I would say that the main difference between INSEAD in IMD are school size, "consulting vs. general managment" and probably brand recognition. It is also said that IMD has a more mature and executive student body than INSEAD has, which is also said to be young and corporate. IMD seems to be very exclusive and offers only 100 seats for its candidates. But at the end of the day, I am sure that IMD is a very good and competitive school and companies who know LBS + INSEAD will also know IMD.

Why are you not considering LBS?

Cheers,
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is the MBA from IMD respected in North America? [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2008, 08:51
catgmat wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

thanks!

Well, I think that you are completely right, because HEC is much more well-known in France than INSEAD is. But on the other hand, INSEAD like LBS is super well-known in US job market, partly because of the powerful INSEAD alumni network that is growing with 700 new members every year, partly because INSEAD has an alliance with Warthon BS and a campus in Singapur.

However, I would say that the main difference between INSEAD in IMD are school size, "consulting vs. general managment" and probably brand recognition. It is also said that IMD has a more mature and executive student body than INSEAD has, which is also said to be young and corporate. IMD seems to be very exclusive and offers only 100 seats for its candidates. But at the end of the day, I am sure that IMD is a very good and competitive school and companies who know LBS + INSEAD will also know IMD.

Why are you not considering LBS?

Cheers,

I probably would have, but I need to start my MBA in January 2009. I didn't get the gmat score that I need to be admitted in such schools and the deadlines for these schools are already gone. I'm still working on my GMAT. It's also interesting how people ask me "why not LBS or INSEAD?" Are you implying that they are better than IMD?

would you please rank for me the top 3 MBA schools in europe in your opinion? would be interesting to know and why as well.
thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is the MBA from IMD respected in North America? [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2008, 12:37
tarek99 wrote:
I probably would have, but I need to start my MBA in January 2009. I didn't get the gmat score that I need to be admitted in such schools and the deadlines for these schools are already gone. I'm still working on my GMAT. It's also interesting how people ask me "why not LBS or INSEAD?" Are you implying that they are better than IMD?

would you please rank for me the top 3 MBA schools in europe in your opinion? would be interesting to know and why as well.
thanks!

That's an old question, depending on where you want to work, but I believe in Europe I would say:

1. LBS (Finance, good brand, London, 15-21 month programme)
2. INSEAD (Consulting, good brand, 10 month programme)
3. IMD (GM, exclusive brand, older candidates, very special and small classes)
4. IESE

Assuming that you want to go into consulting choose INSEAD, for finance go to LBS.

Please note that IE and HEC have also January/February intakes. However, if you want to work in the US, you should apply for US top B-schools. But I am sure that LBS, INSEAD and IMD are the most recognized European B-schools in the US.

I also think that Kellogg and Wharton are not very well-known in Europe, but those companies that recruit MBA graduates know them for sure.

cheers,
Intern
Intern

Re: Is the MBA from IMD respected in North America? [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2008, 12:59
Does anybody have any Idea about SIM program of HSG St. Gallen in Switzerland ? Is it a good program fro general and strategy management ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is the MBA from IMD respected in North America? [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2008, 23:53
sandeepjain79 wrote:
Does anybody have any Idea about SIM program of HSG St. Gallen in Switzerland ? Is it a good program fro general and strategy management ?

Maybe you should skim through the St. Gallen web page and GMAT Club thread to get a better picture of St. Gallen. HSG is very famous in the German speaking part of Europe, some say the German counterpart of LSE. The MBA programme is quite new and not yet ranked in FT. I am sure that this will change. However, IMD is definitely the better school!

106-t56736

http://www.mba.unisg.ch/org/es/mba.nsf/ ... endocument

Cheers,
Intern
Intern

Re: Is the MBA from IMD respected in North America? [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 08:37
I went through their website to get more information about SIM (its Masters of Art in International and Strategy Mangement program) and looks interesting to me for these reasons. I had also reasearched about their MBA program and it is quite reputed as well. Average salary of St. Gallen MBA graduate is abt CHF 110 K and taxes in Switzerland is about 10-15 %. This makes it quite attractive from ROI point of view too. But there are only about 40 seats available and for 2009 fall ,the average GMAT score is increased to 710.
They have decided to not to have more than 15% of their class belonging to one country to make their class more diversified. They have rejected students from US,UK and India with 730+ GMAT score for this reason.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is the MBA from IMD respected in North America? [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 15:46
I met the IMD admissions director at one of the TopMBA fairs in SFO. My question to her was very specific ' How strong is the IMD Alumni network in Wall St' and her answer was a dismal 'very little'. So what this implies is - chances of finding a job in the US are slim to none if you are from IMD. This is of course very specific to finance related careers.

What the admissions director also told was that 'you can get hired in Switzerland and work in the US' - am not sure how that translates to a prospective job offer.

Bottom line - if you want a respectable post b-school career in the US your top choice must be the M7 schools.

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Re: Is the MBA from IMD respected in North America?   [#permalink] 03 Mar 2009, 15:46