Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Overlapping Setsx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2722 [279]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618790 [106]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [66]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1213 [13]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: Is the number of members of Club X greater than the number of members [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Using the table it can also be solved easily. As the individual entries result in insufficient data, options A/B/D can be eliminated.
Combining both the entries we can observe under the column "members of X and members of Y" ,the value of .2X=.3Y, which answers X>Y .Hence C is the ans.
Attachments

tb.jpg
tb.jpg [ 18.72 KiB | Viewed 93687 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [8]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Is the number of members of Club X greater than the number of members [#permalink]
Kudos
I got this question wrong because I didn't think to set the x and y statements against each other, because in my mind I just pictured .2x and .3y as different figures. After I reviewed the problem I pictured it this way and it became clear (I'm not using the numbers from the problem):

Group X: :-D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :roll: :wink:
Group Y: :-D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry:

So what makes up group x's overlap?

:-D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol:

What makes up group y's overlap?

:-D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol:

In my example 80% of group X is in group y, and 66.6% of group y is in group b, but the actual count is the exact same for both so you can set them against each other.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
TomB wrote:
Is the number of members of Club X greater than the number of members of Club Y ?
(1)Of the members of Club X, 20 percent are also members of Club Y.
(2)Of the members of Club Y, 30 percent are also members of Club X.

can we use matrix approach for this question. every body is saying:
0.20x=0.30y
x/y=3/2 so x>y.

what i know is ratios are not enough to compare two quantities. I am very bad at Ratio and proportions. Please explain

Is the number of members of Club X greater than the number of members of Club Y?

(1) Of the members of Club X, 20 percent are also members of Club Y --> 20% of X are members of both X and Y --> 0.2X={both}. Not sufficient.

(2) Of the members of Club Y, 30 percent are also members of Club X --> 30% of Y are members of both X and Y --> 0.3Y={both}. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) 0.2X={both}=0.3Y --> X/Y=3/2 --> X>Y. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

TomB wrote:
0.20x=0.30y
x/y=3/2 so x>y.

what i know is ratios are not enough to compare two quantities. I am very bad at Ratio and proportions. Please explain

If x and y are both negative then x<y, for example: x=-3<-2=y and if x and y are both positive then x>y. So generally you are right x/y=3/2 is NOT enough to say whether x>y. Though in our case since x and y represent # of people then we know that they must be positive integers, so case 1 is ruled out and we CAN say that x>y.

Hope it's clear.

Hi
Can I solve this kind of question by assuming total numbers??
for example while combining 1 and 2:
I assumed 100 total members then assumed two scenarios :
1: X group: 30 members: 20% in Y , 51 in X
2 Y group: 70 : 70+6 = 76 30% IN X

The same way vice versa situation where X is 70 and Y is 30:
By doing this way I got E....
cAN you pls explain why my approach is wrong???
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618790 [2]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
GGMAT760 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
TomB wrote:
Is the number of members of Club X greater than the number of members of Club Y ?
(1)Of the members of Club X, 20 percent are also members of Club Y.
(2)Of the members of Club Y, 30 percent are also members of Club X.

0.20x=0.30y
x/y=3/2 so x>y.

Is the number of members of Club X greater than the number of members of Club Y?

(1) Of the members of Club X, 20 percent are also members of Club Y --> 20% of X are members of both X and Y --> 0.2X={both}. Not sufficient.

(2) Of the members of Club Y, 30 percent are also members of Club X --> 30% of Y are members of both X and Y --> 0.3Y={both}. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) 0.2X={both}=0.3Y --> X/Y=3/2 --> X>Y. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

TomB wrote:
0.20x=0.30y
x/y=3/2 so x>y.

If x and y are both negative then x<y, for example: x=-3<-2=y and if x and y are both positive then x>y. So generally you are right x/y=3/2 is NOT enough to say whether x>y. Though in our case since x and y represent # of people then we know that they must be positive integers, so case 1 is ruled out and we CAN say that x>y.

Hope it's clear.

Hi
Can I solve this kind of question by assuming total numbers??
for example while combining 1 and 2:
I assumed 100 total members then assumed two scenarios :
1: X group: 30 members: 20% in Y , 51 in X
2 Y group: 70 : 70+6 = 76 30% IN X

The same way vice versa situation where X is 70 and Y is 30:
By doing this way I got E....
cAN you pls explain why my approach is wrong???

Your approach does not make much sense. The statements give certain relationship between the numbers in X and Y, you cannot assume arbitrary values for them.

Also, if there are 30 members in X, then 20% of them, so 6 members, are also in Y. Now, we also know that these 6 members comprise 30% of Y, so 0.3Y=6 --> Y=20 --> X=30 > Y=20.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [18]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi All,

This DS question can be solved by TESTing VALUES.

We're asked if the number of members of Club X is greater than the number of members of Club Y? This is a YES/NO question. In these sorts of situations, it's common for some members to belong to BOTH Clubs, so we have to keep careful track of the numbers and possibilities....

Fact 1: 20% of the members of Club X are ALSO members of Club Y

IF...
Club X has 100 members, then 20 of those members ALSO belong to Club Y.
IF Club Y has 0 unique members, then the answer to the question is YES.
IF Club Y as 1,000 unique members, then the answer to the question is NO.
Fact 1 is INSUFFICIENT

Fact 2: 30% of the members of Club Y are ALSO members of Club X

This Fact offers the same general logic as Fact 1 (above). Without knowing the number of unique members in Club X, the answer to the question could be either YES or NO.
Fact 2 is INSUFFICIENT

Combined, we know...
20% of the members of Club X are ALSO members of Club Y
30% of the members of Club Y are ALSO members of Club X
These specific members are the SAME PEOPLE...

This means that .2(X) = .3(Y)

2X = 3Y
X = (3/2)(Y)

This means that X MUST be greater than Y, so the answer to the question is ALWAYS YES.
Combined, SUFFICIENT

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
WE:Account Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi All,

This DS question can be solved by TESTing VALUES.

We're asked if the number of members of Club X is greater than the number of members of Club Y? This is a YES/NO question. In these sorts of situations, it's common for some members to belong to BOTH Clubs, so we have to keep careful track of the numbers and possibilities....

Fact 1: 20% of the members of Club X are ALSO members of Club Y

IF...
Club X has 100 members, then 20 of those members ALSO belong to Club Y.
IF Club Y has 0 unique members, then the answer to the question is YES.
IF Club Y as 1,000 unique members, then the answer to the question is NO.
Fact 1 is INSUFFICIENT

Fact 2: 30% of the members of Club Y are ALSO members of Club X

This Fact offers the same general logic as Fact 1 (above). Without knowing the number of unique members in Club X, the answer to the question could be either YES or NO.
Fact 2 is INSUFFICIENT

Combined, we know...
20% of the members of Club X are ALSO members of Club Y
30% of the members of Club Y are ALSO members of Club X
These specific members are the SAME PEOPLE...

This means that .2(X) = .3(Y)

2X = 3Y
X = (3/2)(Y)

This means that X MUST be greater than Y, so the answer to the question is ALWAYS YES.
Combined, SUFFICIENT

Final Answer:

Rich

I'm still quite not getting it:

What if Club X had 100 people, 20 of whom are also in Club Y. But then Club Y had 50 people, 15 of whom are also in Club X.

But then you can reverse those values, and you could say what if Club x had 50 people, 10 of whom are in Club y, and Club y had 100 people, 30 of whom are in Club X.

Why does this above logic not make sense (sets the answer as E)? It must not, as the answer is C.

EDIT: nevermind, I just got it. You can't make up those 2 values as it results in the Club X+Y group having two different values, when they are 1 group. Clearly didn't follow that...I'll leave my thinking and train of thought incase it helps someone else.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi oseebhai,

The work that you did in your 'example' is actually really USEFUL - once you notice that the two numbers MUST be the same, you have the proof that the values of X and Y ARE related (so the answer must be C). Sometimes the work that you have to do in a DS questions helps you to prove what is NOT possible - and while it might not be the most straight-forward approach, it can still help you to still answer the question correctly.

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29905 [2]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Is the number of members of Club X greater than the number of members [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
TomB wrote:

(1) Of the members of Club X, 20 percent are also members of Club Y.
(2) Of the members of Club Y, 30 percent are also members of Club X.

One approach is to use the Double Matrix Method. This technique can be used for most questions featuring a population in which each member has two characteristics associated with it.
Here, we have a population of people, and the two characteristics are:
- member of Club X or not a member of Club X
- member of Club Y or not a member of Club Y
So, we can set up our diagram as follows:

Since we're not told any populations, let's assign some variables.
Let X = # of Club X members
Let Y = # of Club Y members
So, we now have a diagram that looks like this:

Okay, now let's solve the question...

Target question: Is X greater than Y?

Statement 1: Of the members of Club X, 20 percent are also members of Club Y.
If X people are in Club X, then the number of THESE people whose are ALSO in Club Y = 20% of X (aka 0.2X)
So, let's add this to our diagram:

Does this provide enough information to determine whether or not X is greater than Y?
No. The reason is that we have no information about the bottom-left box:

Since there are no restrictions on the bottom-left box, there are many possible ways to complete the diagram so that we get CONFLICTING answers to the target question. Here are two:
Case a:

In this case X = 10 and Y = 2, which means X is GREATER THAN Y

Case b:

In this case X = 10 and Y = 32, which means X is LESS THAN Y

Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: Of the members of Club Y, 30 percent are also members of Club X.
If Y people are in Club Y, then the number of THESE people whose are ALSO in Club X = 30% of Y (aka 0.3Y)
So, let's add this to our diagram:

Using logic similar to the logic we used in statement 1, we can conclude that statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined
When we combine the information we get TWO POSSIBLE expressions for the top-left corner:

So, these two expressions must be equal.
In other words, 0.2X = 0.3Y
Divide both sides by 0.2 to get: X = (0.3/0.2)Y
Simplify to get: X = 1.5Y
Since X and Y must be positive integers, the expression X = 1.5Y tells us that X is 1.5 TIMES as big as Y
In other words, X is definitely greater than Y
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are SUFFICIENT

Answer: C

This question type is VERY COMMON on the GMAT, so be sure to master the technique.

To learn more about the Double Matrix Method, watch this video:

Originally posted by BrentGMATPrepNow on 25 Mar 2018, 06:39.
Last edited by BrentGMATPrepNow on 01 Aug 2021, 06:34, edited 2 times in total.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22046 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
TomB wrote:

0.20x=0.30y
x/y=3/2 so x>y.

Solution:

Question Stem Analysis:

We need to determine whether the number of members of Club X is greater than the number of members of Club Y.

Statement One Alone:

Statement one alone is not sufficient. For example, if Club X has 100 members, then 20 of its members are also in Club Y. However, Club Y could have 50 or 200 members. In the former case, Club X has more members than Club Y, and in the latter case, Club X has fewer members than Club Y.

Statement Two Alone:

Statement two alone is not sufficient. For example, if Club Y has 100 members, then 30 of its members are also in Club X. However, Club X could have 200 or 50 members. In the former case, Club X has more members than Club Y, and in the latter case, Club X has fewer members than Club Y.

Statements One and Two Together:

If we let x and y be the total number of members in Clubs X and Y, respectively, then the number of members they have in common is 0.2x (in terms of x) or 0.3y (in terms of y). Since the number of members common to both clubs must be unique, we have:

0.2x = 0.3y

2x = 3y

x = 3y/2 = 1.5y

Since x = 1.5y, x > y. Both statements together are sufficient.

Answer: C
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TomB wrote:

0.20x=0.30y
x/y=3/2 so x>y.

Solve the Official Questions more productively

Click here and solve 1000+ Official Questions with Video solutions as Timed Sectional Tests
and Dedicated Data Sufficiency (DS) Course

Answer: Option C

Video solution by GMATinsight

Get TOPICWISE: Concept Videos | Practice Qns 100+ | Official Qns 50+ | 100% Video solution CLICK.
Two MUST join YouTube channels : GMATinsight (1000+ FREE Videos) and GMATclub :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
GMAT Data Sufficiency - Is X or Y larger? Can we use a third element?

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Video solution from Quant Reasoning:
Subscribe for more: https://www.youtube.com/QuantReasoning? ... irmation=1
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts