Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 11:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is the number of members of Club X greater than the number

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 328
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Is the number of members of Club X greater than the number [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2007, 07:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Is the number of members of Club X greater than the number of members of Club Y ? (1) Of the members of Club X, 20 percent are also members of Club Y. (2) Of the members of Club Y, 30 percent are also members of Club X.

A. Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
B. Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
C. BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
D. EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
E. Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2007
Posts: 573
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: DS : Club [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2007, 10:11
sidbidus wrote:
Is the number of members of Club X greater than the number of members of Club Y ? (1) Of the members of Club X, 20 percent are also members of Club Y. (2) Of the members of Club Y, 30 percent are also members of Club X.

A. Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
B. Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
C. BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
D. EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
E. Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.


I got C,

1st is not SUFF, says nothing about Y
2nd is not SUFF, says nothing about X

Both combined are SUFF.

the number of people who are in both X and Y clubs is the same.

The number is 20% of X, meanwhile it represents 30% of Y.

0.2X=0.3Y, thus X is always more than Y, works cuz number of members {X&Y} can be represented only by positive intengers, can not be represented by fractions, zeros and negative intengers, in this problem particularly.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 178
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2007, 10:26
Quote:
I got C,

1st is not SUFF, says nothing about Y
2nd is not SUFF, says nothing about X

Both combined are SUFF.

the number of people who are in both X and Y clubs is the same.

The number is 20% of X, meanwhile it represents 30% of Y.

0.2X=0.3Y, thus X is always more than Y, works cuz number of members {X&Y} can be represented only by positive intengers, can not be represented by fractions, zeros and negative intengers, in this problem particularly.


stem 2 doesnt say dat .2x=.3y it can be more or less...v cant assume!

v cant get any ans
X can b 100, 200, 500 etc..same is wid Y it can b 10, 50, 1000 etc..
X can be greater than Y or it can b less..so it is E

Last edited by 12345678 on 05 Sep 2007, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1467
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2007, 10:28
12345678 wrote:
v cant get any ans cuz d no. of members of X and Y are not known...
X can b 100, 200, 500 etc..same is wid Y it can b 10, 50, 1000 etc..


You don't need to.
if X/Y = 3/2, then X will always be greater than Y.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2007
Posts: 573
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2007, 10:28
12345678 wrote:
v cant get any ans cuz d no. of members of X and Y are not known...
X can b 100, 200, 500 etc..same is wid Y it can b 10, 50, 1000 etc..


Read the question carefully,

common Gmat trap.
=)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 178
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2007, 10:42
IrinaOK wrote:
12345678 wrote:
v cant get any ans cuz d no. of members of X and Y are not known...
X can b 100, 200, 500 etc..same is wid Y it can b 10, 50, 1000 etc..


Read the question carefully,

common Gmat trap.
=)


okk lemme try again..
st1--insuff
st2-insuff
when v combine... supp x=1000 n Y=1000
st1 says in club X 20% members are of Y - so X has 800 + 200
st2 says in club Y 30% are members of X -so Y has 700+300...
bt it doesnt specify that 30% of X represents exactly d same no. of members as 20% of Y... so it can be either X=Y , x>y or x<y

wot is OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2007
Posts: 255
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2007, 11:04
the 20% of X is equal of 30% of Y so, X has more people than Y.

Ans: C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2007
Posts: 255
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2007, 11:15
12345678 wrote:
IrinaOK wrote:
12345678 wrote:
v cant get any ans cuz d no. of members of X and Y are not known...
X can b 100, 200, 500 etc..same is wid Y it can b 10, 50, 1000 etc..


Read the question carefully,

common Gmat trap.
=)


okk lemme try again..
st1--insuff
st2-insuff
when v combine... supp x=1000 n Y=1000
st1 says in club X 20% members are of Y - so X has 800 + 200
st2 says in club Y 30% are members of X -so Y has 700+300...
bt it doesnt specify that 30% of X represents exactly d same no. of members as 20% of Y... so it can be either X=Y , x>y or x<y

wot is OA?


if club X has 200 members (as you noted above) who have club membership for club Y (too), than there should be the same number of members for club X in Club Y, in other words if there are people who are members for both clubs than they have equal number (i mean same number of people) of members who are members for both. It is not possible that for club X there 200 two-club members and in club Y there are 300 two-club members.
(still seems confusing???)
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 1156
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2007, 11:19
0.2*x = 0.3*y

x = 1.5*y

The answer is clearly (C)

:)
Attachments

Club.JPG
Club.JPG [ 8.14 KiB | Viewed 335 times ]

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 178
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2007, 00:45
thanks squirrel..realized my mistake :)
  [#permalink] 06 Sep 2007, 00:45
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Is the number of members of Club X greater than the number puma 1 11 May 2008, 08:48
Is the number of members of Club X greater than the number smily_buddy 10 13 Aug 2007, 11:36
Is the number of members of Club X greater than the number jet1445 3 08 Jun 2007, 19:51
2 Is the number of members of Club X greater than the number ong 6 05 Aug 2006, 07:26
Is the number of members of Club X greater than the number Guest 2 25 Oct 2004, 20:11
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is the number of members of Club X greater than the number

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.