Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 07:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is the Official GMAT Guide (10th Ed.) representative of GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Is the Official GMAT Guide (10th Ed.) representative of GMAT [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2003, 10:07
Hey people, I'm new here and I'm ben studying for the GMAT for about a month a half by using the Official GMAT Guide, I'm scheduled to take the test on 08/29/03. I was wondering is this book enough to do well on the GMAT (600 - 700 range), the reason I ask this is because I feel that I've become to comfortable with this book, and as I use the PowerPrep software I realize my scores are somewhat skewed because I recognize most of the problems on the software from the book,if anyone can share how they studied, what the materials, and techniques you used to excel on the GMAT, I would be greatly appreciative,

Derrick
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Is the Official GMAT Guide (10th Ed.) representative of [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2003, 20:30
djacks1914 wrote:
Hey people, I'm new here and I'm ben studying for the GMAT for about a month a half by using the Official GMAT Guide, I'm scheduled to take the test on 08/29/03. I was wondering is this book enough to do well on the GMAT (600 - 700 range), the reason I ask this is because I feel that I've become to comfortable with this book, and as I use the PowerPrep software I realize my scores are somewhat skewed because I recognize most of the problems on the software from the book,if anyone can share how they studied, what the materials, and techniques you used to excel on the GMAT, I would be greatly appreciative,

Derrick

Hi Derick,

I believe PowerPrep is as representative of the GMAT as it can get, provided you did not touch the tests or problems before taking the 2 tests, so as not to skew your scores (due to familiar problems).

I took the first PowerPrep test 2 days before the test (Jul 22), and scored 710 (Q48,V39), took the 2nd test the night before the test (Jul 23), scored 760 (Q50,V44). Just 12 hrs later, in the actual test, I scored 760 (Q48,V48). So ... I believe the PowerPrep is pretty representative, if you have not touched the problems before taking the test.

Raj
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2003, 21:33
Dear Raj

Your options tell us that you did not touch the Official guide at all ! Can you please confirm .
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Is the Official GMAT Guide (10th Ed.) representative of [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2003, 16:49
djacks1914 wrote:

Derrick

Hmmm...you are asking whether a book is capable of putting you in a given scoring range, to which I would answer "no." I can tell you that I found the questions in powerprep (10th ed) to be very similar to those I saw on the GMAT, both in Q and V. I got a 700, and believe that the PP prepared me well, so I can safely say that scoring at a 600-700 scoring level on the PP CD tests means you can expect to be in that range on test day. However, Kaplan questions and their broad range of topics allowed me to get several harder questions correct that I might otherwise have missed.

Just take 5-7 practice tests total (PP, Kaplan) and get your timing down. That will give you more confidence on the test.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9466 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Is the Official GMAT Guide (10th Ed.) representative of [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2003, 17:02
Expert's post
djacks1914 wrote:

Derrick

The book may be enough for different people. You will need to see your PP scores. It is hard to say really. I have not even read through it; just used Kaplan's stuff, so it is possible that Kaplan's books are enough, but some people get both OG and Kaplan, and still get 550 even though they can recite all problems in the books - it really depends on how quick and good you are at some things - how your mind works, how attentive to detaisl you are, and how good your memory can catch the solution path. Also, ability to use old tricks in unfamilar questions seems to be a quality in demand on the test day - GMAC attempts to diversify their questions and go beyond OG stuff. What I have been trying to say is that you will meet something new on the test.

BB

-=-=
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2003, 20:19
Hey guys thanks for the input, and BB thanks for the gmat exercises u sent me in my e-mail. I just bought the kaplan Guide (2004) I finally see what some people on the boards were talking about that the Kaplan questions are significantly difficult than those from the powerprep.
  [#permalink] 10 Aug 2003, 20:19