Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2015, 01:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is the Official Guide for GMAT-2015 Review a must or a nice to have ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Is the Official Guide for GMAT-2015 Review a must or a nice to have ? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2015, 12:14
This post received
KUDOS
Hello there,

Since I have been preparing myself with the self studying approach, I am trying to compile all the books that people here think is a must have or a nice to have during the preparation for GMAT. I read on the other day that the OG 2015 from GMAC is totally necessary for this preparation and I acquired it but it seems it is just a bunch of questions (900) thrown in the book for us to practice, with no theory, strategy or anything else. So I started to wonder if it is really necessary since prior to that I have been studying with Manhattan guides and they seem to be quite good + Veritas Prep (Question Bank and Prep Tests)...It just seemed like a step back.

What do you guys think?
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 435 [1] , given: 36

Re: Is the Official Guide for GMAT-2015 Review a must or a nice to have ? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2015, 16:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi cfpenteado,

The 2015 OG (and the new 2016 version, which will have some new questions in it) are produced by GMAC itself and they contain questions that once appeared on the Official GMAT. In that way, those questions are arguably the most realistic questions available. While you don't *need* either of those books for your studies, many Test Takers use some version of the OG during their studies. I am a fan of those books.

It's worth noting that GMAC is NOT in the business of teaching you all of the 'secrets' to beat the Test, so the subject matter is handled (mostly) in an academic fashion. If you want to learn the tactics, patterns, secrets, etc. that can help you to score at a high level on the GMAT, then you'll have to invest in other resources.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Rich Cohen
Rich.C@empowergmat.com
http://www.empowergmat.com

EMPOWERgmat GMAT Club Page, Study Plans, & Discounts
http://gmatclub.com/blog/courses/empowergmat-discount/?fl=menu

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 260 [0], given: 4

Re: Is the Official Guide for GMAT-2015 Review a must or a nice to have ? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2015, 23:47
cfpenteado

My recommendation is to use a good source for learning the theory, concepts, and strategies that are need for the GMAT. But when it comes to doing practice questions, stick to official GMAT questions. The official GMAT questions will help you get used to the language of the GMAT, and also allow you to see the pattern and style of the GMAT. The official GMAT guides is an excellent place to start, if you need more recent official GMAT questions then use the GMATPrep Question Pack 1 and for computer adaptive tests use the free GMATPrep software and the Exam Pack1. I cannot emphasize how important it is to stick to official GMAT questions.

Cheers,
Dabral

Free Video Explanations: OFFICIAL GUIDE FOR GMAT REVIEW 2015.
www.gmatquantum.com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Is the Official Guide for GMAT-2015 Review a must or a nice to have ? [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2015, 00:17
Hi folks,

Is the order of questions in OG 13 and OG 14 the same? I'm using MGMAT guides to study and they map questions to OG 13 serial numbers.

Thanks for answering!

Best,
DP
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 36

Re: Is the Official Guide for GMAT-2015 Review a must or a nice to have ? [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2015, 11:34
Expert's post
Hi DP,

The OG13 and the GMAT2015 are the SAME book, so the question numbers match up. The upcoming GMAT2016 book (which will be released in June) will include some new questions and will likely "shift" the remaining material around a bit.

Rich

Rich Cohen
Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Is the Official Guide for GMAT-2015 Review a must or a nice to have ? [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2015, 17:10
Hi Rich and Dabral!

Thanks for the reply.

I will sitck with the OG for getting familiar with practice questions and different topics that might actually appear. I have been using MGMAT guides and some Prep Tests and Questions banks from Veritas

When practicing OG questions, do you guys think I should time myself while doing them ?

Thanks again!
Cheers
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor

Re: Is the Official Guide for GMAT-2015 Review a must or a nice to have ? [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2015, 17:22
Expert's post
Hi cfpenteado,

If you're still early on in your studies, then you should be more focused on learning the material, tactics, patterns, etc. and practicing everything correctly. If you're not comfortable with the 'work' that you have to do to answer a GMAT question, then forcing yourself to try to do that work quickly will probably NOT help you. Speed will improve as you continue to practice and hone your skills.

If you think that you know the material well-enough, then adding in the 'time pressure' would be the next step.

Rich

Rich Cohen
Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Is the Official Guide for GMAT-2015 Review a must or a nice to have ? [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2015, 17:25
Sometimes I feel I don't know what to do with all the the mistakes I make. I don't know how to measure my progress.
I started an Error Log, but I don't know what exactly to do with it. I finished the first 100 questions from the OG, marked my mistakes, their types, concept involved, so I could find patterns and then I consult the MGMAT Foundations of GMAT Math for getting the concepts straightened up..Do you guys think this is good approach ? Should I try any more CATs any time soon ? or just wait for until getting all 900 questions from OG done ?

Thanks again guys
Cheers
Carlos
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor

Re: Is the Official Guide for GMAT-2015 Review a must or a nice to have ? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2015, 12:22
Expert's post
Hi Carlos,

Your prior posts don't provide much in the way of specific information about how you've been studying. If you can answer a few questions though, then I'll be happy to advise:

1) How long have you been studying?
2) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
3) When did you take each CAT? Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

Rich

Rich Cohen
Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Is the Official Guide for GMAT-2015 Review a must or a nice to have ? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2015, 16:55
Hi Rich, se have exchanged some emails a month ago.

Your prior posts don't provide much in the way of specific information about how you've been studying. If you can answer a few questions though, then I'll be happy to advise:

1) How long have you been studying?

I have been self studying for about 4 months all told, in an average rate of 1:30h per day.

2) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each) ?
official GMAT: 400
CAT 2: 560 (Q32 V35)
CAT 3: 560 (Q38 V29)

3) When did you take each CAT? Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
Yes, took them entirely each time. My studies are now focused on Quant now, since a I am trying to follow this study plan I have found here.

...it recommends to take it partially...skip IR and essay

4) What is your goal score?
My goal is the everyone's favorite: 700

5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
I am not sure when to take it again, I was expecting the get a good result from my next CAT first.
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor

Re: Is the Official Guide for GMAT-2015 Review a must or a nice to have ? [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2015, 22:11
Expert's post
Hi Carlos,

I didn't make the connection between this post and your prior emails.

Regarding your last 2 CAT scores, I'm a bit concerned by the "swing" in the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores. This implies some inconsistencies on your part in how you handle those two sections of the Test.

I'm actually MORE concerned though at the idea that you'd be skipping the Essay and IR sections during practice. You WON'T be skipping those sections on Test Day and if you're not prepared to face them (by practicing them NOW when you take your CATs), then you'll likely find that you get really tired during the Verbal section on Test Day and that your scores will likely drop relative to your practice CAT scores.

Rich

Rich Cohen
Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Is the Official Guide for GMAT-2015 Review a must or a nice to have ? [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2015, 14:49
Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply. It was just a curiosity, If you would like, search for my emails cfranciscopenteado@yahoo.com.br , we have exchanged some emails because I was (and am) interested in having some more strategy guidance, but first I am noticing I need to get some topics and concepts clarified. You mentioned some interesting modules that can be useful!

In fact, I said I took 1 official GMAT and 2 CAT's, in all of them I did the IR and Essay, those are ok, on average. What I was saying about this was that I am using this study plan I found: gmat-study-plan-how-to-start-your-gmat-prep-80727.html

Don't know if it's good, but I have decided to go with it. I noticed I was being a bit lazy skipping some mistakes I though would not come back, but they do! So I am using the CAT's and OG to check my weaknesses so I can diagnose myself.

Think this is a good approach ?

Thanks

Cheers!
Re: Is the Official Guide for GMAT-2015 Review a must or a nice to have ?   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2015, 14:49