Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 12:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is the real gmat math alot more difficult?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Is the real gmat math alot more difficult? [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2005, 15:51
i was reading some posts from the expereince section and got mixed reviews.

Some people say that the real gmat math was like OG
Some people say that the real gmat math was much more difficult than OG
Some say that it was the more difficult than Kaplan or that it was the most difficult they have ever seen.

This is scaring the S--T out of me.

On a scale of 1-10 comparing difficulty

For those who HAVE taken the exam, if OG questions are a 5, and kaplan was an 9, where would you rate the real gmat?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2005, 16:33
Due to the adaptive nature of the test, the more you answer correctly, the tougher the questions get. Hence, those people that said it was difficult probably scored high in that particular section (Q or V). Those who said it was easier were likely confronted w/ easier questions as they were answering more questions incorrectly.
Make sense? Does your observation contradict this ? (i.e. Do some of the high quant scorers say that the level of difficulty was similar to that of the OG?)
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2005, 17:56
seems like the higher scores say it was like OG but the lower scores say it was difficult
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

It's RANDOM [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2005, 09:49
Hi.

I really think it's luck of the draw - you could get a really tough quant section that's harder than OG, or you could get lucky and get one that's like the OG.

My first GMAT, I scored 690 - with only a 46 in quant. I found the problems to be quite difficult - I had serious trouble, and that's why I got 46.

I thought I could do better, since my practice scores on quant were 47-49.

I retook, got a 780 - with a 51 in quant. This time, the quant was a breeze. Every single question was EASY...easier than the harder questions in the OG.

So, I really think it's luck - if you do poorly on your first try but really think you deserve better, take it again - you might surprise yourself.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2005, 10:02
I just took the exam last Friday, Nov 25. I got a 41 in quant but I got 2 probability questions and one perm/combo question. The difficulty of the questions are almost the same as that of OG, but remember that I only got 41 (around 60+%ile).

My point is, I think that the OG math questions are around the 640-650 level. I think that I read that in a post somewhere as well. I got a few questions that were slightly harder than OG and I took a lot of time in those questions so I had to guess in the end, which probably lowered my score significantly.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2005, 09:21
thanks guys, I do hope i get an easier set. What is the retake policy for the gmat? can you take it again any time after your first?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2005, 10:03
you can take it once every calendar month. so if you take it anytime on november, you can only take it on december at the earliest. i read somewhere that you can only take the GMAT 5 times at the most. you may have to confirm that though.
  [#permalink] 27 Nov 2005, 10:03