Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is the standard deviation of ages of students in class A

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Is the standard deviation of age of students in class A grea [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2008, 00:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (02:13) correct 26% (00:58) wrong based on 43 sessions
Is the standard deviation of age of students in class A greater than the standard deviation of the age of students in class B?

Attachment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 39.33 KiB | Viewed 1098 times ]
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: DS: Class A & Class B Standard Deviation [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2008, 00:15
E for me! there is not enough information!

Statement1 and 2 provide no relation btw average age and each, individual age, so you can not figure out exactly SD!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 357

Kudos [?]: 1754 [0], given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: DS: Class A & Class B Standard Deviation [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2008, 00:39
Expert's post
C

SD_A>\sqrt{12} and SD_B<=\sqrt{6}

So, SD_A>\sqrt{12}>\sqrt{6}>=SD_B

SD_A>SD_B

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Re: DS: Class A & Class B Standard Deviation [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2008, 02:44
Expert's post
It should be 12 and 6 instead of sqr(12) and sqr(6), but it does not influence on reasoning.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: DS: Class A & Class B Standard Deviation [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2008, 14:30
OA is C

My math concepts around statistics and standard deviation are weak. Can you share some resources for improvement?
SVP
SVP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: DS: Class A & Class B Standard Deviation [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2008, 17:26
zeenie wrote:
walker wrote:
C

SD_A>\sqrt{12} and SD_B<=\sqrt{6}

So, SD_A>\sqrt{12}>\sqrt{6}>=SD_B

SD_A>SD_B

Yep. C it is

If More detail is better! :lol: thanks!

Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Re: DS: Class A & Class B Standard Deviation [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2008, 19:29
Expert's post
sondenso wrote:

Thanks you, you force me to think more carefully :)

fast (guessing) way: the more is difference between values, the more SD. In other words SD corresponds to dispersion of data. Taking both condition, we can see that dispersion of students of A class is obviously less than that of B class. So, C

usual way:

SD=\sqrt{\frac{\sum{(x-x_{av})^2}}{n}}

1) first condition says that for class A |x_j-x_i|>12

Additionally, we can states that minimum SD is (when x_{av} is evenly between x_i and x_j)

SD_{Amin}>\sqrt{\frac{({x_j}-x_{av})^2+({x_i}-x_{av})^2}{2}}=\sqrt{\frac{6^2+6^2}{2}}=6

SD_{Amin}>6

2) second condition says that for class B |x_j-x_i|<=6

Additionally, we can states that maximum SD is (when x_{av} is close to one of x_i or x_j)

SD_{Bmax}<\sqrt{\frac{({x_j}-x_{av})^2+({x_i}-x_{av})^2}{2}}=\sqrt{\frac{6^2+0^2}{2}}=\frac{6}{\sqrt{2}}

SD_{Bmin}<\frac{6}{\sqrt{2}}

1)&2) Combine two conditions:

SD_{A}=>SD_{Amin}>6>\frac{6}{\sqrt{2}}>SD_{Bmin}>=SD_{B}

SD_{A}>SD_{B}

SVP
SVP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: DS: Class A & Class B Standard Deviation [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2008, 21:00
walker wrote:
you force me to think more carefully

:P

Walker, one more: How do you come from "statement1: the difference between the ages of any two students in class A is always more than 1 year" to :
walker wrote:
1) first condition says that for class A
, I mean |xj-xi|>12

One more: :lol: I chose E because I follow one rule from Gmatclub that if we dont know exactly specific each age, we can have no conclusion about SD!

Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Re: DS: Class A & Class B Standard Deviation [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2008, 21:12
Expert's post
We have to choose the same units for age to make SD compatible. I choose months and, therefore, |xj-xi|>12

sondenso wrote:
One more: :lol: I chose E because I follow one rule from Gmatclub that if we dont know exactly specific each age, we can have no conclusion about SD!

Think about SD as an average difference between an average value and other data. The problem directly says about differences.

Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Re: DS: Class A & Class B Standard Deviation [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 00:01
Expert's post
snoor wrote:
My math concepts around statistics and standard deviation are weak. Can you share some resources for improvement?

I think GMAT is far far away from statistics. For many people who did not study statistics SD seems to be a mysterious feature from very difficult mathematical jungle of statistics. But GMAT does not go so deeply. Think about SD as an average deviation of data from an average value and remember the formula.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS: Class A & Class B Standard Deviation [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2008, 08:41
Agree walked I answered this in under 2 mins by simply drawing two bell curves and saw one group was closer to the mean than another. C was suff...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 31

Is the standard deviation of ages of students in class A [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 08:48
CLASS AVERAGE AGE NO.OF STUDENTS
A 15 YEARS 6
B 16 YEARS 12

Is the standard deviation of ages of students in class A greater than the standard deviation of the age of students in class B ?

(1) The difference between the ages of any two students in class A is always more than 1 year.

(2) No student in class B is more than 6 months older than any other student.

Last edited by Bunuel on 10 Jul 2013, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and added the OA.
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 904 [1] , given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: KAPLAN TEST QUES [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 09:06
This post received
KUDOS
punyadeep wrote:
Q))
A 15 YEARS 6
B 16 YEARS 12

Is the standard deviation of ages of students in class A greater than the standard deviation of the age of students in class B ?

(1) The difference between the ages of any two students in class A is always more than 1 year.

Statement (1) BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question, but statement (2) by itself is not.
Statement (2) BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question, but statement (1) by itself is not.
Statements (1) and (2) TAKEN TOGETHER are sufficient to answer the question, even though NEITHER statement BY ITSELF is sufficient.
EITHER statement BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question.
Statements (1) and (2) TAKEN TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question, requiring more data pertaining to the problem.

INSUFFICIENT. No mention about class B here.

INSUFFICIENT. No mention about class A here.

Combing both and assuming that both classes have at least 2 students;
We can see that the standard deviation will increase with every student added for class A and the the deviation will decrease with every student added to class B.

Maximum standard deviation for class B can be somewhere around 0.25 years or 3 months and the minimum standard deviation of class B will be somewhere around 0.5 years.

Thus Std Dev(A) > Std Dev(B)

Sufficient.

Ans: "C"

~fluke

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 151 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: KAPLAN TEST QUES [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 09:07
This post received
KUDOS
punyadeep wrote:
Q))
A 15 YEARS 6
B 16 YEARS 12

Statement (1) BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question, but statement (2) by itself is not.
Statement (2) BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question, but statement (1) by itself is not.
Statements (1) and (2) TAKEN TOGETHER are sufficient to answer the question, even though NEITHER statement BY ITSELF is sufficient.
EITHER statement BY ITSELF is sufficient to answer the question.
Statements (1) and (2) TAKEN TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question, requiring more data pertaining to the problem.

C.

Statement 1 alone is not enough. It doesn't give any indication what the differences of ages in class B are.
For example, everyone in class B could be exactly the same age, or everyone in class B could be 2 years apart.

Statement 2 alone is not enough. It doesn't give any indication what the difference of ages in class A are.
Everyone in class A could be exactly the same age, or everyone in class A could be 2 years apart.

If you combine them, you know that A has a significantly larger standard deviation in ages.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 288 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: KAPLAN TEST QUES [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2011, 17:09
This post received
KUDOS
A - a1, a2, a3,a4,a5,a6

Total A = 90

a1-a2 > 12 months and so on, but no information about B, so insufficient.

B - b1,b2,b3,b4,b5... b12

Total B = 192

b1-b2 <= 6 month , but no information a bout A, so insufficient

From (1) and (2) together, the difference between elements of set A is > the difference between elements of Set B, and the denominator in A is < the denominator in set B for the Std Dev formula.

=> Std Dev A > Std Dev B

So answer - C.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 599 [0], given: 62

Re: KAPLAN TEST QUES [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2011, 18:21
Expert's post
standard deviation is the underroot of the (sum of squares of the difference b/w the quantity and the mean divided by the no of quantities).
now since the statement 1 doesnt mentions abt B and stat. 2 doesnt mentions abt A. hence they both are insufficient.

on combining the two statements do we get the full information to make a comparison?
YES.

also keep in mind that the diff b/w the mean and the quantity in B wud always be less than 1 and therefore its square wud be much more smaller. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: KAPLAN TEST QUES [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 05:52
Thanks for the explanations.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 110

Re: CLASS AVERAGE AGE NO.OF STUDENTS A 15 YEARS 6 B 16 YEARS 12 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 01:28
Question: Is SD(A) > SD(B)?

Statement 1: No mention of students in class B. Thus INSUFFICIENT

Statement 2: No mention of students in class A. Thus INSUFFICIENT

Combining the two statements, we can see that the difference between the ages of two students in class A is considerably larger than the difference between the ages of any two students of class B.
As we know that SD is a measure of the compactness within the elements of a set, we can infer that the elements of Set A are more dispersed than are the elements of Set B. Thus, we know that SD (A) > SD (B). SUFFICIENT.

Answer: C

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 21

Re: CLASS AVERAGE AGE NO.OF STUDENTS A 15 YEARS 6 B 16 YEARS 12 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 01:55
C.. Appreciate Fluke suggestion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 53

Re: DS: Class A & Class B Standard Deviation [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 12:37
walker wrote:
sondenso wrote:

Thanks you, you force me to think more carefully :)

fast (guessing) way: the more is difference between values, the more SD. In other words SD corresponds to dispersion of data. Taking both condition, we can see that dispersion of students of A class is obviously less than that of B class. So, C

usual way:

SD=\sqrt{\frac{\sum{(x-x_{av})^2}}{n}}

1) first condition says that for class A |x_j-x_i|>12

Additionally, we can states that minimum SD is (when x_{av} is evenly between x_i and x_j)

SD_{Amin}>\sqrt{\frac{({x_j}-x_{av})^2+({x_i}-x_{av})^2}{2}}=\sqrt{\frac{6^2+6^2}{2}}=6

SD_{Amin}>6

2) second condition says that for class B |x_j-x_i|<=6

Additionally, we can states that maximum SD is (when x_{av} is close to one of x_i or x_j)

SD_{Bmax}<\sqrt{\frac{({x_j}-x_{av})^2+({x_i}-x_{av})^2}{2}}=\sqrt{\frac{6^2+0^2}{2}}=\frac{6}{\sqrt{2}}

SD_{Bmin}<\frac{6}{\sqrt{2}}

1)&2) Combine two conditions:

SD_{A}=>SD_{Amin}>6>\frac{6}{\sqrt{2}}>SD_{Bmin}>=SD_{B}

SD_{A}>SD_{B}

Aren't these SD supposed to be multiplied by the number of persons?
The SD is not just the min and max.... it's from all students, no?
Re: DS: Class A & Class B Standard Deviation   [#permalink] 11 Nov 2013, 12:37