Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 May 2016, 14:13
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is the triangle with three sides a, b, c, isosceles?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2010
Posts: 221
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

Is the triangle with three sides a, b, c, isosceles? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2010, 11:18
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

47% (01:22) correct 53% (00:23) wrong based on 113 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Is the triangle with three sides a, b, c, isosceles?

(1) a = b
(2) c ≠ b

OA will be posted later
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Success is my Destiny


Last edited by Bunuel on 20 Jun 2013, 04:56, edited 1 time in total.
OA added.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 May 2010
Posts: 56
Schools: IU, UT Dallas, Univ of Georgia, Univ of Arkansas, Miami University
WE 1: 5.5 Yrs IT
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: geometry problem [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2010, 11:28
IMO C

A alone is INSUFFICIENT. Given a=b, but we do not know anything about c. If c=a, then it is equilateral.
B alone is INSUFFICIENT. Given c≠b, we know nothing about 'a' here.

A and B together - SUFFICIENT.
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 33052
Followers: 5766

Kudos [?]: 70654 [0], given: 9856

Re: geometry problem [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2010, 12:07
Expert's post
hardnstrong wrote:
Is the triangle with three sides a,b,c, isosceles?
(1) a = b
(2) c ≠ b

OA will be posted later


sjayasa wrote:
IMO C

A alone is INSUFFICIENT. Given a=b, but we do not know anything about c. If c=a, then it is equilateral.
B alone is INSUFFICIENT. Given c≠b, we know nothing about 'a' here.

A and B together - SUFFICIENT.


This cannot be the real GMAT question as it test technicality of defining isosceles triangle:
If we say that an isosceles triangle is a triangle with exactly two equal sides then the answer is C.
If we say that an isosceles triangle is a triangle with at least two equal sides then answer is A. So if we take this definition (which is more precise and more common) then we'll have that equilateral triangle is just a special case of isosceles triangle.

If I had to pick I'd pick A for this question.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2010
Posts: 163
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 31

Re: geometry problem [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2010, 13:51
I thinks the answer should be A.
_________________

Consider me giving KUDOS, if you find my post helpful.
If at first you don't succeed, you're running about average. ~Anonymous

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2010
Posts: 221
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

Re: geometry problem [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2010, 23:49
OA is A

i found this question in one of the good sources of questions in GMAT found on other website
Though the question is with diagram of a triangle with three sides given as a,b,c

stmt 1. Explanation there says that because a=b hence it is an isosceles triangle (what about c , we dont know if c is equal to a or b, or not)

It says stmt 2 is insufficient because c is not equal to b (if in statement1 we didnt consider c then why to consider a in statment 2)

Answer itself contradicts each other. Thats why i posted it here to get to know if i am missing something
_________________

Success is my Destiny

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 2035
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q0 V
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 464 [0], given: 355

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: geometry problem [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2013, 15:41
Bunuel wrote:
hardnstrong wrote:
Is the triangle with three sides a,b,c, isosceles?
(1) a = b
(2) c ≠ b

OA will be posted later


sjayasa wrote:
IMO C

A alone is INSUFFICIENT. Given a=b, but we do not know anything about c. If c=a, then it is equilateral.
B alone is INSUFFICIENT. Given c≠b, we know nothing about 'a' here.

A and B together - SUFFICIENT.




This cannot be the real GMAT question as it test technicality of defining isosceles triangle:
If we say that an isosceles triangle is a triangle with exactly two equal sides then the answer is C.
If we say that an isosceles triangle is a triangle with at least two equal sides then answer is A. So if we take this definition (which is more precise and more common) then we'll have that equilateral triangle is just a special case of isosceles triangle.

If I had to pick I'd pick A for this question.


Hi Bunuel, thanks for pointing it out.
What does GMAT say about isosceles/equilateral definition? Is there a common agreement?
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 33052
Followers: 5766

Kudos [?]: 70654 [0], given: 9856

Re: geometry problem [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2013, 15:48
Expert's post
jlgdr wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
hardnstrong wrote:
Is the triangle with three sides a,b,c, isosceles?
(1) a = b
(2) c ≠ b

OA will be posted later


sjayasa wrote:
IMO C

A alone is INSUFFICIENT. Given a=b, but we do not know anything about c. If c=a, then it is equilateral.
B alone is INSUFFICIENT. Given c≠b, we know nothing about 'a' here.

A and B together - SUFFICIENT.




This cannot be the real GMAT question as it test technicality of defining isosceles triangle:
If we say that an isosceles triangle is a triangle with exactly two equal sides then the answer is C.
If we say that an isosceles triangle is a triangle with at least two equal sides then answer is A. So if we take this definition (which is more precise and more common) then we'll have that equilateral triangle is just a special case of isosceles triangle.

If I had to pick I'd pick A for this question.


Hi Bunuel, thanks for pointing it out.
What does GMAT say about isosceles/equilateral definition? Is there a common agreement?


According to the OG an isosceles triangle has at least two sides of the same length.

As for equilateral triangle: equilateral triangle is a triangle which has all sides of the same length.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Re: geometry problem   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2013, 15:48
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic a, b, and c are sides of a right triangle. What is the area of the tri Bunuel 5 29 Jan 2016, 03:24
7 Experts publish their posts in the topic What is the area of triangle with sides a, b and hypotenuse c? Harley1980 2 29 Jun 2015, 06:38
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic If triangle ABC is an isosceles triangle mikemcgarry 4 05 Nov 2012, 12:37
Experts publish their posts in the topic GMATPrep: Isosceles Triangle appy001 2 31 Jul 2010, 11:37
The sides of a triangle are a, b, and c. Are the three angles vaivish1723 2 26 Jan 2010, 11:17
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is the triangle with three sides a, b, c, isosceles?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.