Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 18:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is the US MBA worth it?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Is the US MBA worth it? [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2014, 05:41
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I have been planning to do my MBA in the US for quite some time now. Lately a friend of mine told me that it's a bad idea. He has people telling him that the job opportunities in US are not that great now (even more difficult for Indians to get a job)and has advised me against this decision of mine.

I am really confused since I always thought that I would definitely get placed in the US after my MBA. I am worried because the degree costs so much and I don't want to come back to India after spending so much for college.

Please advise.

Thanks.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 80

Kudos [?]: 541 [1] , given: 105

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Is the US MBA worth it? [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2014, 06:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi nsamantha,
I'd say it's still worthy. However, the BIG QUESTION is whether it's WORTHY ENOUGH (especially, in terms of debt payback aspect and ROI) today as it was a few years ago, considering the current development in H1B Visa System.

I'm NO EXPERT, hence I wanted to have current students who're Internationals/Indians (and just graduated or in the second year of their MBA) and our in-house Admission Consulting Experts to chime in this discussion.

In the mean time, this might give you some thoughts.

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Harvard University
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Is the US MBA worth it? [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2014, 06:25
It is certainly worth it if you intend to stay and work in the U.S. post graduation. The level of internships you can get while in school will be incredibly valuable in terms of charting your course, post MBA.

[I'm a former Harvard interviewer and Harvard grad, and currently run the MBA consulting firm: MBA Ivy League!]

Jillian, President & Founder
MBA Ivy League
New York, NY

www.MBAIvyLeague.com
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 68

Re: Is the US MBA worth it? [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2014, 13:52
The answer to depends on which school you're talking about. There's is an ocean of difference between HBS and say, Pepperdine. There's no way to generalize about all US MBA programs.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Is the US MBA worth it? [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2014, 05:30
Hi brandon432,

As you said, there is a difference between various B-Schools. But I am particularly interested in the Top 25 Schools.

What is the scenario like in these Schools? Is an MBA worth here?

Thanks.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 68

Is the US MBA worth it? [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2014, 13:26
It depends on a lot of factors. There are pretty significant differences in opportunities available even among top-25 schools and it's not as simple as saying "the top-xx are worth it and the rest aren't."

Let's unpack "worth" a little bit. Some factors to consider: What do you do now? How much do you make? What do you want to do after? Does a particular school have a strong recruiting pipeline to that industry? What are your odds of getting that job? How much will you make? What are your backup options? How much will it cost (direct and opportunity)? How do you value non-pecuniary benefits like education and network?

For me, the total economic cost of b-school is almost $350k. In qualitative terms, I figure 50% of that is justified by getting 1 of 12-15 jobs (consulting). Another 30% by getting 1 of 3 jobs (MBB). The final 20% is the value I place on education and the experience overall.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Is the US MBA worth it?   [#permalink] 07 Sep 2014, 13:26