Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 18:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 26 May 2011, 04:12
Definitely! the recommendation should be strong, but also honest and credible.
The admission committee might disregard the recommendation if it's "too good to be true"...
Don't you agree?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2011, 08:31
Yes, I agree, but it must have a good balance, so it doesn't "spoil" the recommendation.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2011, 04:44
yes, but some schools ask for explanations for very high or very low rankings, so the recommender must have a good reason for his selection since he is asked to back it up with a story.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 09:23
How important do you think the recommendations are anyway? what is their weight in the whole application package?
I mean, the essays and the GMAT are probably the most important things, right?
Intern
Intern

Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2011, 03:35
Well, according to Vocaz http://www.vocaz.com/Requirements.htm the recommendations weight is around 10%-15%, and the GMAT and GPA are estimated as 20% each.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 01:31
Leo24 wrote:
How important do you think the recommendations are anyway? what is their weight in the whole application package?

Recommendations are very important in my opinion, otherwise schools wouldn't ask for them. the recommendations should complement your essays and mention the same characteristics you claim to have, maybe even tell the same story (like your greatest accomplishment from your supervisor's point of view).
Intern
Intern

Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 03:10
bizwiz6 wrote:
Leo24 wrote:

Recommendations are very important in my opinion, otherwise schools wouldn't ask for them. the recommendations should complement your essays and mention the same characteristics you claim to have, maybe even tell the same story (like your greatest accomplishment from your supervisor's point of view).

I'm with you on that, great tip!
Intern
Intern

Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 07:10
Hi,
speaking of recommendations, what would you do in case the applicant works in a family business? wouldn't it seem wrong to provide a recommendation from a family member?
Intern
Intern

Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 23:22
you're right, it's a complicated situation... maybe I'd explain why i'm providing a recommendation from a family member, or maybe try to get one from a peer or even a client.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 23:34
I think that recommendations from family members are ususally frowned upon, and you should try to avoid it anyway you can.
Intern
Intern

Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 04:38
I agree, don't do that, it looks very unprofessional. try to find other recommenders, even from your previous job or college.
Intern
Intern

Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2011, 06:53
By the way, I just saw they posted some recommenders selection guidelines on their blog, maybe it can help:
http://blog.vocaz.com/2011/07/choose-yo ... ely-2.html
http://blog.vocaz.com/2011/06/choose-yo ... isely.html
Intern
Intern

Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 23:19
ahish wrote:
By the way, I just saw they posted some recommenders selection guidelines on their blog, maybe it can help:
http://blog.vocaz.com/2011/07/choose-yo ... ely-2.html
http://blog.vocaz.com/2011/06/choose-yo ... isely.html

That's great, thanks for the links!
Intern
Intern

Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 22:39
Speaking of recommenders, when you list your recommenders on the application form you have to choose if you waive your right to see the recommendations - why do they ask that? do you think it has any effect on admission chances?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 23:17
Although waiving your right to see the recommendation gives your recommenders more "freedom" to be honest, I don't think it has any impact on the admission chances. This is just something they have to ask, since otherwise they would have to let you see your recommendations.
Intern
Intern

Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 04:03
You're probably right, but i think it's still better for the applicant to waive his right to see the recs. it shows confidence and honesty.
Intern
Intern

Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2011, 22:24
While we are on that subject, does anyone know which schools allow (or forbid) submitting one additional recommendation letter, in addition to the required two?
Intern
Intern

Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2011, 22:47
As far as I know - NYU, Tuck and Darden for example allow additional rec, while HBS, Stanford, Kellogg and Berkeley for example does not allow additional rec.
Some schools say that if you want to submit one additional rec, this rec should add a different angle and provide new info.
Intern
Intern

Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2011, 01:04
Steve2014 wrote:
As far as I know - NYU, Tuck and Darden for example allow additional rec, while HBS, Stanford, Kellogg and Berkeley for example does not allow additional rec.
Some schools say that if you want to submit one additional rec, this rec should add a different angle and provide new info.

Thanks for sharing, good to know, although it's hard enough to find 2 recommenders, where would I find a third?
Intern
Intern

Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate? [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 03:10
Of course it's hard, but don't underestimate the importance of recommendations. if the school allows a 3rd rec, you should definitely use it. try to find someone who can comment on your skills from a different perspective, maybe a client or a peer.
Re: Engineers - Is the free Vocaz Chances Indication accurate?   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2011, 03:10