Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 20:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is there a detailed way to prepare of RC?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
WE 1: IT Business Analyst-Building Materials Industry
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Is there a detailed way to prepare of RC? [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2009, 07:31
I've been searching this forum for a few days now trying to find a detailed way to prepare for RC. I know that many say that RC is one of the hardest places to improve in a short period of time, that is why I want to start preparing now. My overall study strategies is to go through all MGMAT Books, starting with quant and moving onto verbal. Right now I am on the word translations book (4th quant book), so I will probably be moving onto verbal in the next two weeks. The suggestions that I have read so far are more strategies to attack the question, not really strategies to build your skills in RC. I know that many people suggest GMAT Fiction or reading the Economist, but will that alone improve my RC? And is there a certain method that I should use while reading this content, like trying to write an outline like many suggest? I'm kind of lost here so anyone who can shed light on this would really help me. Thanks
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is there a detailed way to prepare of RC? [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2009, 17:45
trzaskm wrote:
I've been searching this forum for a few days now trying to find a detailed way to prepare for RC. I know that many say that RC is one of the hardest places to improve in a short period of time, that is why I want to start preparing now. My overall study strategies is to go through all MGMAT Books, starting with quant and moving onto verbal. Right now I am on the word translations book (4th quant book), so I will probably be moving onto verbal in the next two weeks. The suggestions that I have read so far are more strategies to attack the question, not really strategies to build your skills in RC. I know that many people suggest GMAT Fiction or reading the Economist, but will that alone improve my RC? And is there a certain method that I should use while reading this content, like trying to write an outline like many suggest? I'm kind of lost here so anyone who can shed light on this would really help me. Thanks

What worked for me:

1. improve CR because a lot of RC questions are similar to CR. This will help you get used to the type of questions to expect

2. Work on concentration

3. Only write things down when I have trouble comprehending. I tried the whole outline thing but I was wasting way too much time. I do better, and go faster, when I don't write too much down.

4. Practice the RC questions in the official guides and just practice. Reading outside books or magazines didn't help me at all.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is there a detailed way to prepare of RC? [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2009, 19:56
I think reading is the best way to prep for the RC. A month or two might be enough to review for the other sections of the GMAT, but not for RC. A lot of people, myself included, don't do much reading once works starts. As a result, reading skills deteriorate. My suggestion would be to try to read nonfiction books and magazine articles. Economist, The Atlantic and the New Yorker are some good ones.

After your reading skills have improved a bit, try to do a passage for practice everyday. The 10 real LSAT books have some good ones, if you run out of passages from the OG.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 2

Re: Is there a detailed way to prepare of RC? [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 09:21
trzaskm wrote:
The suggestions that I have read so far are more strategies to attack the question,

can you please share the strategies to attack the questions?

Thanks,
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Re: Is there a detailed way to prepare of RC? [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 10:15
Read the Reading comprehension Manahattan GMAT Guide
Additional reading :
- How to read better and faster by Norman Lewis
- Word power made easy by Norman Lewis
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Re: Is there a detailed way to prepare of RC? [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2009, 13:01
Practice is the key to better RC score.

The strategic approach depends on what kind of memory you have. For me, and most people on this forum - the strategy of writing down things as u go works best.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2175

Kudos [?]: 7765 [1] , given: 3629

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Is there a detailed way to prepare of RC? [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2009, 16:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
There is this thread of course: gmat-club-s-reading-comprehension-strategy-guide-83101.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Is there a detailed way to prepare of RC?   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2009, 16:18