Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 11:05

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is there a quick way to improve on your critical reasoning?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Academy of Management
Schools: Queens University, Wilfred Laurier University
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Is there a quick way to improve on your critical reasoning? [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 05:24
Hi everyone,

This may seem like a tacky question, but is there any quick way for one to improve on critical reasoning? My struggle is that when I attempt the CR questions, I find 2-3 answers equally desirable and sometimes I don't know which one to choose. The same goes for RC questions. I'm abit better when it comes to the SC section.

Would appreciate some advice here :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Is there a quick way to improve on your critical reasoning? [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 06:01
I believe the only solution is "PRACTICE" .

Also note that you can't blindly attempt CR. You need to apply strategy for CR questions.

I think PowerScore CR Bible is good one to start with.
Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: Is there a quick way to improve on your critical reasoning? [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 08:22
Hi,

For a few quick strategy tips on CR, you might want to check out our free tutorial here: http://www.manhattangmat.com/tutorials/gmat-logic-flaws.cfm

In the long term, however, I agree with the above poster that really you do need to study and practice.

In terms of beginning strategies, you should make sure you are familiar with the basic question types which are: find the assumption, draw a conclusion, and strengthen/weaken the conclusion. Also be able to always break down a CR question into its different components: first identify the conclusion, then find the stated premises and unstated assumptions upon which the argument is based. Once you're able to break down each question like this, identifying the correct answer should be a little easier.

If CR is your weak point, though, I would suggest buying a book so you can learn these strategies in more depth. We offer one, and I know others have already suggested alternatives.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Caitlin Clay
Student Services Associate
Manhattan GMAT

Caitlin Clay | Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Is there a quick way to improve on your critical reasoning? [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2009, 08:41
I know I'd be a happier person if there were a quicker way to do it! Guess we're doomed to practice, practice, practice.

In my studying, CR has been a problem for me, too. When I narrow it down to 2, I always seem to settle on the wrong one. I've been using the Winner's Guide to GMAT CR this week, and I think it's helping. The book has some good strategies for picking the right answer after you've narrowed it down to just a couple of choices.
Re: Is there a quick way to improve on your critical reasoning?   [#permalink] 23 Dec 2009, 08:41