Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 23:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is there a rule about area of a triangle in a circle?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Apr 2008
Posts: 53
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Is there a rule about area of a triangle in a circle? [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2009, 20:27
If a triangle is inscribed in a semi circle, i.e. it is a right angle triangle with diameter as base... is there any rule/formula about finding the area of this triangle?

Also, will all such triangles in a semi circle have the same area? Or the same perimeter?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Nov 2008
Posts: 200
Schools: Stanford...Wait, I will come!!!
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is there a rule about area of a triangle in a circle? [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2009, 21:53
thinkblue wrote:
If a triangle is inscribed in a semi circle, i.e. it is a right angle triangle with diameter as base... is there any rule/formula about finding the area of this triangle?Sorry, there is no formula such to find the area of the triangle. When we make a triangle in a semicircle.. we are sure about the two things..
1) the 90degree angle..but the other two angle can be any pair of angle which sum to 90 degree
2) secondly, we are sure about the hypotenuse...
But to fix a triangle, we need at least 3 criteria..
So, triangle area cannot be fixed.


Also, will all such triangles in a semi circle have the same area? Or the same perimeter?

No, they dont have the same area or same perimeter if inscribed in a semi-circle.
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2009
Posts: 10
Location: DC
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [3] , given: 0

Re: Is there a rule about area of a triangle in a circle? [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2009, 15:16
3
This post received
KUDOS
The response that you've already received correctly states that there is no way to know the area of triangle ABD at this point; you'd need some more information. Frankly, that's probably all you wanted! :-D

However, let me add a couple things to this discussion, just in case.

First, a diagram, just to give these things handles:
Image

Thus, line AB is a diameter of the circle with center O, point D is arbitrarily chosen on the circle, and C is straight "up" from the middle (not rigorous, but you know what I mean).

You are correct in saying that ADB must be a right angle, regardless of where D is chosen.

1) There is no lower bound on the area of triangle ADB. If we "push" point D further and further and further to the right, the triangle gets shorter and shorter, see? Thus, the area of triangle ADB can get arbitrarily close to zero.

2) There is, however, an upper bound on the area of triangle ADB! Namely, r^2. When point D coincides with point C, we create a nice 45-45-90 triangle, and visual inspection seems to indicate that it has the maximum area. (the formula is easy to work out: the base of the triangle is the diameter, which is 2r, and the height would then equal r. Thus, (1/2) * b * h = (1/2) * 2r * r = r^2

We can also get that result analytically: Since we're building off of the diameter, the Base of the triangle is fixed. Thus, in order to maximize area, what should you do? Ah, let's maximize the other variable: the Height. And how do you do that? By putting the height right in the middle where it has the most "headroom", so to speak.

Enjoy!
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2008
Posts: 997
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is there a rule about area of a triangle in a circle? [#permalink] New post 04 May 2009, 12:46
+1 for good explanation.

Liquidhypnotic wrote:
The response that you've already received correctly states that there is no way to know the area of triangle ABD at this point; you'd need some more information. Frankly, that's probably all you wanted! :-D

However, let me add a couple things to this discussion, just in case.

First, a diagram, just to give these things handles:
Image

Thus, line AB is a diameter of the circle with center O, point D is arbitrarily chosen on the circle, and C is straight "up" from the middle (not rigorous, but you know what I mean).

You are correct in saying that ADB must be a right angle, regardless of where D is chosen.

1) There is no lower bound on the area of triangle ADB. If we "push" point D further and further and further to the right, the triangle gets shorter and shorter, see? Thus, the area of triangle ADB can get arbitrarily close to zero.

2) There is, however, an upper bound on the area of triangle ADB! Namely, r^2. When point D coincides with point C, we create a nice 45-45-90 triangle, and visual inspection seems to indicate that it has the maximum area. (the formula is easy to work out: the base of the triangle is the diameter, which is 2r, and the height would then equal r. Thus, (1/2) * b * h = (1/2) * 2r * r = r^2

We can also get that result analytically: Since we're building off of the diameter, the Base of the triangle is fixed. Thus, in order to maximize area, what should you do? Ah, let's maximize the other variable: the Height. And how do you do that? By putting the height right in the middle where it has the most "headroom", so to speak.

Enjoy!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2008
Posts: 12
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Is there a rule about area of a triangle in a circle? [#permalink] New post 10 May 2009, 12:55
whats the best way to find the diameter of a circle with an inscribed triangle if you are given an arc? so lets say an inscribed triangle with an arc of 24 that is approximately 3/4ths of the circumference. any suggestions?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 11988
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2132

Kudos [?]: 7230 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Is there a rule about area of a triangle in a circle? [#permalink] New post 18 May 2009, 13:41
Expert's post
dakhan wrote:
whats the best way to find the diameter of a circle with an inscribed triangle if you are given an arc? so lets say an inscribed triangle with an arc of 24 that is approximately 3/4ths of the circumference. any suggestions?



Why does the inscribed triangle come into play? I don't see how it adds any helpful information. If there is an Arc and the angle/size is know - it is very easy to find the Diameter.

In your example, the Arc is 3/4th of the circumference, so that means the total circumference is 36.

2 * \Pi * R = \Pi * D = 36, where R is radius and D is diameter

D = \frac{36}{\Pi} \approx 11.5
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 02 Apr 2012
Posts: 35
Location: Argentina
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
WE: Consulting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 106

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is there a rule about area of a triangle in a circle? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 07:48
Area: The number of square units it takes to exactly fill the interior of a triangle.
Usually called "half of base times height", the area of a triangle is given by the formula below.
• A = b*h / 2
Other formula:
• A = P*r / 2
• A = abc / 4R
Where "b" is the length of the base, "a" and "c" the other sides; "h" is the length of the corresponding altitude; "R" is
the Radius of circumscribed circle; "r" is the radius of inscribed circle; "P" is the perimeter

My doubt here is:
"P" Is the perimeter of the triangle or the perimeter of the circle?
_________________

Encourage cooperation! If this post was very useful, kudos are welcome ;)
"It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult task which, more than anything else, will affect It's successful outcome" William James

Re: Is there a rule about area of a triangle in a circle?   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2013, 07:48
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Area of Triangle in Circle robertrdzak 5 04 Aug 2009, 19:34
Area of Circle and Inscribed Triangle Nihit 2 13 Jun 2008, 23:11
Experts publish their posts in the topic What is the area of a triangle inscribed in a circle LM 7 22 Dec 2007, 20:54
What is the area of the circle within the triangle MBAlad 15 10 Dec 2006, 08:06
A circle is circumscribed about an equilateral triangle of qhoc0010 4 07 Jan 2005, 06:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is there a rule about area of a triangle in a circle?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.