Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Dec 2014, 06:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is there an age discrimination for 36 yrs old candidates?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Is there an age discrimination for 36 yrs old candidates? [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2006, 05:08
Hi Scott & Omari,
Here is my profile:
(1) Indian citizen and US permanent resident (Charlotte,NC).
(2) Undergrad in Electrical Engineering from India(1994).
(3) Worked for 1 yr in India in Telecom Company.
(4) Masters in Comp Sc from USA.(1995-1998).
(5) Employed second biggest mutual fund company since 1999 as a software developer.

Assuming I am able to get good score in GMAT and able to get in schools like UNC-Chapel Hill or Emory, will there be discrimination while recruiting?. I will be 34 when I enter school and 36 by the time I graduate.

I want to go change my track with Startegic Consulting and general management. Will recruiters view me as an old person who just above the cutoff age?.
I have a secure job in IT with decent pay. By secure I mean, there have been no layoffs in my company's 33 yrs history. I can even change tracks and go to a Business Systems Analyst role within my company. In all I see people retiring at my company after 25 yrs+ service every month.
I am well motivated to study and go back to school. But I am worried that I might face age discrimination as I will be 36 by the time I graduate.

Please give me opinions.
-AlHindi.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 51

[#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2006, 19:32
Expert's post
No, I don't think you'll face any real discrimination. Adcomms will just look for a very convincing answer to the "Why do you want an MBA now?" question. They may also ask why, if you have this much work experience, you don't want to do a part-time or execuctive ed. program. But I think you have a decent shot at UNC and Emory.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

One more clarification. [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2006, 06:53
Hi,
Thanks for your response. Actually my question was more towards post MBA recruiting. Will I face any discrimination then because I would be 36 when I will be graduating?.
Also, reason I want to go full time are as follows:
(1) Part-time and Ex-MBA, though convinient are short duration programs. I want to get more formal education in Business concepts and strategy. This is like changing or enhancing career track completely. A 1 yrs course work will give me degree but may not give me knowledge. Full time involves lot of Study time + Projects. This is ideal for me as I am ignorant when it comes to startegy and business. Full-time also lets you to have opportunity to work in internships where you can get your foot "in" your new chosen career track.
(2) As far as why I am changing now?. Well its simple. Development work is going down in the US day by day. The quality of software development work and satisfaction is decreasing. The development jobs are moving to my country of origin India. While all high level project management stays in US. Either I change now when I have time or time will force me to make changes. I prefer to change now when I have no kids and I am young.
(3) At my place which is a 10000+ employee Mutual Fund company, getting into management role will require more years of work time. Its a formal place with lot of structure at work.
(4) I also feel I have entered a "comfort zone" and development work which was chanllenging 6 yrs back does not seem to be as challenging now. Sometimes I get work done without having to think. It has become natural to me.

(5)College specific I want to enter UNC-chapel Hill. This is an ideal fit for me. It may not be Harvard but for me its the optimal fit.
A. I will get in-state tuition. My cost will go down significantly. Considering UNC-chapel hill is in top-20, this I feel will be good ROI.
B. My wife is in Physical Therapy and there are just tons of jobs in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area. She is willing to work and provide mental,financial support during my studies. She only has license to practice in NC. So moving is not a hassle. Even if she stays in Charlotte, Chapel Hill is just 3 hrs drive from Charlotte.I can easily drive there every weekend or she can.
If I show too much interest with above two points in mind, will that result in negative assesment?. I would rather prefer UNC over lets say CMU.

Thanks for responding and for your time,
-Thanks,
Shantanu.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 51

[#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2006, 09:24
Expert's post
Okay, I understand your question. I think your reasons for wanting UNC are very good. In terms of age and recruiters, I don't think you have too much to worry about. One thing I have seen is employers asking older students something like, "I see you were a Senior Manager / Director / VP in your previous job... Would you really be willing to come here as a junior team member for a couple of years?" It's a fair question for them to ask.

If your title isn't too big or fancy now, or if you can credibly answer this question, I think you'll be okay.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews