Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:01 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Send PM
Re: Is there an alternate method to Anagrams? [#permalink]
mniyer wrote:
Sharvickr wrote:
mniyer wrote:
Though this method is straight forward, questions in GMAT doesn't make this very apparent. Instead we need to apply basic logic, arrive at the ANAGRAM word from question stem and THEN apply the above method. Sometimes I resolve the ANAGRAM word right and sometimes I don't

Could you please give examples/instances for the same

There can be many examples. Almost all the problems in MGMAT series feature the ANAGRAM approach. But in general, if we are asked to find the number of possible ways to distinctly arrange a word, say "QUANTITATIVE" how do we approach using a perm/comb idea? For the e.g. in question, a part of it sounds permutation (for QUNVE because order does matter) and the rest looks like permutation and combination (because order does not matter within AA, TT or II but it DOES when we do across A,T,I ).

How do we put these pieces together?

You could think of it in the following way

First a basic example, "AB" can be arranged in 2! {"AB", "BA"} ways. But "AA" can be arranged only in one way
For the word "QUANTITATIVE" group in the following manner (QUNVE AA II TTT)
AA --> 2! (if letters are distinct)
TTT --> 3! (if letters are distinct)
II -->2! (if letters are distinct)

Since the above three groups have repetitions, out of 10! possible ways, the latter three groups have only one possible way of arrangement.
Therefore, no of ways for "QUANTITATIVE" is 10!/(2!*2!*3!)

Hope this helps :)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618630 [1]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mniyer wrote:
Hi Folks,
Appreciate help from members here to educate me on using Permutations/Combinations method instead of using ANAGRAMS.

For instance, the number of *distinct* ways you can arrange the word QUANTITATIVE using the anagram method looks like 12!/(2!*3!*2!), (basically 2!,3! and 2! in the denominators being repetitions of letters A,T and I). Though this method is straight forward, questions in GMAT doesn't make this very apparent. Instead we need to apply basic logic, arrive at the ANAGRAM word from question stem and THEN apply the above method. Sometimes I resolve the ANAGRAM word right and sometimes I don't.

So, I was wondering there should be a direct permutation/combination approach to solve word arrangement problems? Any insight will be greatly helpful.

Thanks!

THEORY:

Permutations of \(n\) things of which \(P_1\) are alike of one kind, \(P_2\) are alike of second kind, \(P_3\) are alike of third kind ... \(P_r\) are alike of \(r_{th}\) kind such that: \(P_1+P_2+P_3+..+P_r=n\) is:

\(\frac{n!}{P_1!*P_2!*P_3!*...*P_r!}\).

For example number of permutation of the letters of the word "gmatclub" is \(8!\) as there are 8 DISTINCT letters in this word.

Number of permutation of the letters of the word "google" is \(\frac{6!}{2!2!}\), as there are 6 letters out of which "g" and "o" are represented twice.

Number of permutation of 9 balls out of which 4 are red, 3 green and 2 blue, would be \(\frac{9!}{4!3!2!}\).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
mniyer wrote:
Hi Folks,
Appreciate help from members here to educate me on using Permutations/Combinations method instead of using ANAGRAMS.

For instance, the number of *distinct* ways you can arrange the word QUANTITATIVE using the anagram method looks like 12!/(2!*3!*2!), (basically 2!,3! and 2! in the denominators being repetitions of letters A,T and I). Though this method is straight forward, questions in GMAT doesn't make this very apparent. Instead we need to apply basic logic, arrive at the ANAGRAM word from question stem and THEN apply the above method. Sometimes I resolve the ANAGRAM word right and sometimes I don't.

So, I was wondering there should be a direct permutation/combination approach to solve word arrangement problems? Any insight will be greatly helpful.

Thanks!

THEORY:

Permutations of \(n\) things of which \(P_1\) are alike of one kind, \(P_2\) are alike of second kind, \(P_3\) are alike of third kind ... \(P_r\) are alike of \(r_{th}\) kind such that: \(P_1+P_2+P_3+..+P_r=n\) is:

\(\frac{n!}{P_1!*P_2!*P_3!*...*P_r!}\).

For example number of permutation of the letters of the word "gmatclub" is \(8!\) as there are 8 DISTINCT letters in this word.

Number of permutation of the letters of the word "google" is \(\frac{6!}{2!2!}\), as there are 6 letters out of which "g" and "o" are represented twice.

Number of permutation of 9 balls out of which 4 are red, 3 green and 2 blue, would be \(\frac{9!}{4!3!2!}\).

Great post! Thanks Bunuel!!

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts