Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 14:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is there any hope for a 520 scorer? How the GMAT beat me

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Is there any hope for a 520 scorer? How the GMAT beat me [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 09:53
Hi guys,

I just came back from writing my GMAT and am still in a state of shock :S

I got an abysmal 520 with Quant at 33 and Verbal at 29 and would basically LOVE to hear your invaluable advice on firstly:

1) If there's hope to improve this to a decent 630 showing
2) HOW to get there?
3) How long do you think it would take to get there? (I'd like to take Sept off to relax, study in October and give it in mid Nov - is this realistic???)

I've been prepping mainly with the Veritas Prep resources (I also took their course, which I didn't find as useful as the actual material). I also did the last 100 of the 11th Official guide questions for problem solving and the last 50 for data sufficiency, and did the GMAT Prep tests 3 times, as well as 4 800 Score practice tests and 5 Veritas prep tests.

Th Quant section really killed me and I know I could have done much better - I saw the time run out and totally went blank and it went downhill from there :(

I should have known I wouldn't do so great, given, my practice test scores were in the 590-630 range, and didn't improve much. My question is - I know I have to work on my quant but I don't know where to begin?! Should I go back to theory review, or keep doing as many questions as possible and getting comfortable with seeing the same types of questions?

I am motivated to give this another last try, but have no idea how to approach my strategy and would GREATLY value your advice.

Thank you ....

(Still smarting over this GMAT slap in the face) :(
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is there any hope for a 520 scorer? How the GMAT beat me [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 10:07
Hi Celestia,

Welcome to the GMATCLUB!

>> 1) If there's hope to improve this to a decent 630 showing

If you browse thru some of posting you will see that people have jumped from 500 to 700 level. So I think it is DOABLE.

>> 2) HOW to get there?

The short ans is try to find your weaknesses and target on those. For quant everybody on this forum will recomed you using gmatclub tests. Those are the best. You will be able to jump you quant score significantly.

For other resources, i would again recomed you checking some some of the sticky posts whcih talk about different sources:

For SC: MGMAT
For CR: powerscore
For RC: GMAT CLUB forums have lots of RCs (thanks to nitya!)

>> 3) How long do you think it would take to get there? (I'd like to take Sept off to relax, study in October and give it in mid Nov - is this realistic???)

I think its a good idea to take rest.. but doing so for 1 month might hurt you. i would suggest taking 2 weeks off that way you wont forget the concepts that you have learnt before.

All i can say is that you are at the right place. browse thru some of the forums and you will get the feeling that 630 is not that tough :)

All the best!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is there any hope for a 520 scorer? How the GMAT beat me [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 10:36
1) If there's hope to improve this to a decent 630 showing

Yes, always. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. Have heart, work hard....and you will get there.

2) HOW to get there?

Rao_1857 has given really good advice there. The only thing I will add is, practice, practice & more practice.

3) How long do you think it would take to get there? (I'd like to take Sept off to relax, study in October and give it in mid Nov - is this realistic???)

If reading is something you find useful to relax I will say use the month off to read some books. There is a list here somewhere with a few books, fictions, novels, et al., that will help in improving your RC, vocabulary et al., Do not take it as stressful process / work or something you have to do or otherwise you are wasting your time. But more as entertainment, to enjoy, and have fun.

Good luck, and my best wishes!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Is there any hope for a 520 scorer? How the GMAT beat me [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 12:37
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Was feeling really bummed as I studied 3 months for it (while working a 9-5 job), and I really don't know how to improve!

Quant definitely needs improvement though, so I'll check out the quant material - if anyone has a few strategies that helped them, please let me know. I feel that my theory needs review and my application of theory in a timed environment!

Also, for RC and CR - do you guys think I should do the LSAT stuff? I plan on using Manhattan for SC.

Thanks!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2277

Kudos [?]: 8798 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Is there any hope for a 520 scorer? How the GMAT beat me [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 00:43
Expert's post
Please accept my warm welcome as well.

Your situation is rather common and definitely can be corrected. Take a look at this study plan as a template - it may have some pointers for you (let me know if it is not helpful - I am OK with criticism). But I wrote it out specifically for people stuck after the first attempt.
gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.html

You may also want to review this post as well: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

It is doable!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Is there any hope for a 520 scorer? How the GMAT beat me [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 15:32
I suggest for you to prepare a bit more before taking the test again.
Re: Is there any hope for a 520 scorer? How the GMAT beat me   [#permalink] 30 Aug 2009, 15:32