Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 06:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is there any penalty if I dont complete IR section?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 166

GMAT Tests User
Is there any penalty if I dont complete IR section? [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 07:23
Hi,
Say I am in the 9th question in IR section and the time out happens - i.e. 30 mins are over. Is there any penalty for that? ( the same as it is there for verbal or quant section). Please let me know

Regrads

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 124 [1] , given: 22

Re: Is there any penalty if I dont complete IR section? [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 08:08
This post received
KUDOS
Practicegmat wrote:
Say I am in the 9th question in IR section and the time out happens - i.e. 30 mins are over. Is there any penalty for that? ( the same as it is there for verbal or quant section). Please let me know
Hey Practicegmat - this is an important question.

We know (from hearing GMAC people discuss it) that you must answer each part of an IR correctly to receive credit for the question. Your score is based on how many questions you answer correctly. So yes, there would be an impact on your IR score if you don't finish.

When we read the title of your post here, we actually thought you were asking if there would be a penalty by the school adcoms if you didn't do the IR part of the test at all, so we want to address that as well. Since the IR is not technically required as part of the GMAT score yet, because candidates are still able to apply with test results that pre-dated the introduction of IR, then sometimes people think that they can skip the IR section when they take the GMAT today. That would be a big mistake. HBS, as an example, clearly states on its website that all sections of the test must be completed - including AWA too.

Hopefully that answers your question, and any others that people may have about this. Good luck on your GMAT!!!

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is there any penalty if I dont complete IR section? [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 20:19
essaysnark wrote:
Practicegmat wrote:
Hey Practicegmat - this is an important question.

We know (from hearing GMAC people discuss it) that you must answer each part of an IR correctly to receive credit for the question. Your score is based on how many questions you answer correctly. So yes, there would be an impact on your IR score if you don't finish.

When we read the title of your post here, we actually thought you were asking if there would be a penalty by the school adcoms if you didn't do the IR part of the test at all, so we want to address that as well. Since the IR is not technically required as part of the GMAT score yet, because candidates are still able to apply with test results that pre-dated the introduction of IR, then sometimes people think that they can skip the IR section when they take the GMAT today. That would be a big mistake. HBS, as an example, clearly states on its website that all sections of the test must be completed - including AWA too.

Hopefully that answers your question, and any others that people may have about this. Good luck on your GMAT!!!

EssaySnark

thanks for the reply.
But my actual question was say :
I answer 1-9 correctly and reach 29th min - then within next 1 min I randomly mark q 10, 11, and 12 and get them all wrong. But I finish the section.
In another scenario, I answer 1-9 correctly and reach 30th min - then there is no time left to even randomly mark q 10, 11, and 12 and hence I never see the finish section screen.
Now my question is in both scenarios will my score differ - assuming that my accuracy is same in both scenarios?
I am asking this because there is a difference in these 2 scenarios in verbal and quant - as they say it is better to get wrong than to leave the section unfinished.
Does that rule apply to IR section as well?

Hope I am able to convey my doubt
Regards

1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 124 [1] , given: 22

Re: Is there any penalty if I dont complete IR section? [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 07:33
This post received
KUDOS
essaysnark wrote:

Not answering them at all is the same as getting them wrong.

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is there any penalty if I dont complete IR section? [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 06:18
Thanks !

Re: Is there any penalty if I dont complete IR section?   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2013, 06:18