Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 02:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is there any strategy to crack the bold faced questions?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Is there any strategy to crack the bold faced questions? [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2009, 04:45
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Is there any strategy to crack the bold faced questions?
though every question is very unique ... and it is very time consuming as well....
also, can someone suggest the upper limit of time to be spent on such a question?
6 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: Cornell (Bach. of Sci.), UCLA Anderson (MBA)
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 196 [6] , given: 6

Re: bold faced question [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2009, 11:04
This post received
KUDOS
Many people find that those bold face text questions take a little longer than the average 2 minutes for other CR questions, mainly because the arguments tend to be longer and it's sort-of two questions in one (about 2 different bold sections).

However, there are some tips to avoid spending too much time:
(1) Identify the conclusion of the argument first. This is key because the bold text can only play one of three roles in relation to the conclusion: the text IS the conclusion, it is a premise that SUPPORTS the conclusion, or it is a premise that COUNTERS the conclusion.
(2) Write down on your paper what each bold does. For example, you might simply write "(1) supports, (2) = conclusion."
(3) Eliminate the choices that blatantly disagree with what you have written. For example, you might eliminate a choice that says "The first is a statement that the author contradicts...."
(4) Of the remaining choices, pick the one that most closely matches your notes. Note that you will have translate synonymous phrases such as "...advances in support of..." or "advocates for the conclusion" or "reinforces the opinion" rather than just looking for the simple "supports."

Most importantly, don't get too bogged down in the content or details of the argument! The choices are VERY general, about the relation between premises and conclusion. If the argument is about sales taxes and the effect on the ice cream industry in a certain town, the choices probably won't even mention taxes or ice cream! So, no need to take detailed notes, in my opinion.

Emily Sledge | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | St. Louis

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: bold faced question [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 10:13
thanks... this suggestion has come after a long time.... but now.. after having practiced this... i realised that "paraphrasing" or taking notes in the bold faced question has been effective in cutting down my time by 1/3rd ...
given the fact tht these days there are atleast 2-3 bold faces questions.. with practicing this method i can save good 1-2 minutes...
thanks a lot!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is there any strategy to crack the bold faced questions? [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 03:22
it is great that we should look for main conlusion first and do not bogged down to details. However, after find out conclusion we should find out evidence and draw diagram. This process will not take too much time. We can not lable S,C, Counter as we do in the step 2 because the step 2 requires our underderstanding of diagram.
diagramming take not much time and helps us do the step 2.

However, after following the steps above I still spend 2minutes 30 second though the accuracy is higher.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Is there any strategy to crack the bold faced questions? [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 05:34
Thanks esledge
Great strategy!!!

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: Is there any strategy to crack the bold faced questions? [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 07:24
although the post is very old but my answer might be helpful for new viewers. . DO try e-gmat strategy available in their free trial it will take only 15 minutes. .that helped me to improve accuracy in bold faced ques

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Re: Is there any strategy to crack the bold faced questions?   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2012, 07:24