Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 13:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is there no watch allowed in the GMAT! FTW?!?!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2012
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

Is there no watch allowed in the GMAT! FTW?!?! [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 20:23
I was speaking to a friend last night about the gmat and i found out that there isnt a watch permitted in the exam.

Personally this is quite annoying as i have based a lot of my practice for the exam on the basis of having a stop watch by my side. Couple of reasons why:
1. I switch the timer off when i start the Q and V sections and i keep the stop watch on, that way i know how much time is up rather than how much is remaining, allows me to look at the glass half full... helps with the stress etc. and allos me to keep track of my time allotment to specific questions (eg first 10, last 7 or 11 etc.)

2. During the break i can go get my gatorade and oreo cookies and go to the loo with enough time to spare, i also am able to do the prep for the next section without being super stressed!!

I am 2 days away from the gmat and i am really disappointed by this. Does anyone know how to address this better? apart from pure intuition?!?

Help on this is appreciated..
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2011
Posts: 225
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 44

Re: Is there no watch allowed in the GMAT! FTW?!?! [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 21:43
arjun206 wrote:
I was speaking to a friend last night about the gmat and i found out that there isnt a watch permitted in the exam.

Personally this is quite annoying as i have based a lot of my practice for the exam on the basis of having a stop watch by my side. Couple of reasons why:
1. I switch the timer off when i start the Q and V sections and i keep the stop watch on, that way i know how much time is up rather than how much is remaining, allows me to look at the glass half full... helps with the stress etc. and allos me to keep track of my time allotment to specific questions (eg first 10, last 7 or 11 etc.)

2. During the break i can go get my gatorade and oreo cookies and go to the loo with enough time to spare, i also am able to do the prep for the next section without being super stressed!!

I am 2 days away from the gmat and i am really disappointed by this. Does anyone know how to address this better? apart from pure intuition?!?

Help on this is appreciated..


I dont think so...
When i took exam few months before i had my watch along with me....

Though its a plain dial watch....

I'm not sure about digital watch and present rules in GMAT center...

BTW All the best for ur exam... do well....

_________________

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2012
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

Re: Is there no watch allowed in the GMAT! FTW?!?! [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 22:06
shanmugamgsn wrote:
arjun206 wrote:
I was speaking to a friend last night about the gmat and i found out that there isnt a watch permitted in the exam.

Personally this is quite annoying as i have based a lot of my practice for the exam on the basis of having a stop watch by my side. Couple of reasons why:
1. I switch the timer off when i start the Q and V sections and i keep the stop watch on, that way i know how much time is up rather than how much is remaining, allows me to look at the glass half full... helps with the stress etc. and allos me to keep track of my time allotment to specific questions (eg first 10, last 7 or 11 etc.)

2. During the break i can go get my gatorade and oreo cookies and go to the loo with enough time to spare, i also am able to do the prep for the next section without being super stressed!!

I am 2 days away from the gmat and i am really disappointed by this. Does anyone know how to address this better? apart from pure intuition?!?

Help on this is appreciated..


I dont think so...
When i took exam few months before i had my watch along with me....

Though its a plain dial watch....

I'm not sure about digital watch and present rules in GMAT center...

BTW All the best for ur exam... do well....



Cheers guy!!! i dont know i checked the web site this morning and it said that youre not allowed a watch.. sigh!!

Its not like i am magically going to become better at the exam with a simple watch which is meant to tell me the time..
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 212
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 123 [1] , given: 79

Re: Is there no watch allowed in the GMAT! FTW?!?! [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 22:07
1
This post received
KUDOS
Yeah, you're pretty much on lockdown when you're in the GMAT testing room. No watches, no phones, no chap stick, nothing. The only things you can bring into the exam room are the kleenex, headphones, earplugs, note pad, and pens that the proctors give you. They'll make you turn your pockets inside out before you walk into the room. Good times. http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/test-day/wh ... enter.aspx

Arjun206, I'm not sure if any of this helps, but the test centers almost always have a clock at the reception desk so that you can keep track during your breaks. Since it sounds like you've already been timing your breaks, I have a feeling that you'll be completely fine with that part of things.

You obviously have limited time to get used to the countdown clock, but if it helps at all, you could write down some benchmarks so that you have a sense of whether you're ahead or behind of a two-minute pace: when you start the 6th question, you should have 65 minutes left, when you start the 11th question, you should have 55 minutes left, and so on. I definitely don't advocate using these benchmarks strictly (there's absolutely zero harm in being a little bit "behind" early in the test, since it's worthwhile to be a little bit extra-careful on the first batch of questions), but a chart *might* help you to feel like you know where you stand in terms of timing.

No pressure, though--some test-takers love benchmarks, others feel that it adds extra stress.

It sounds like you've studied a ton, so please be confident in your abilities and your preparation. The real exam isn't really any different than the GMATPrep, so trust your skills and don't let yourself get rattled by the environment or by any wacky questions you might see.

Now please go kick some butt, and tell us a triumphant story in a couple of days! :-D

_________________

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2012
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

Re: Is there no watch allowed in the GMAT! FTW?!?! [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 22:16
GMATNinja wrote:
Yeah, you're pretty much on lockdown when you're in the GMAT testing room. No watches, no phones, no chap stick, nothing. The only things you can bring into the exam room are the kleenex, headphones, earplugs, note pad, and pens that the proctors give you. They'll make you turn your pockets inside out before you walk into the room. Good times. http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/test-day/wh ... enter.aspx

Arjun206, I'm not sure if any of this helps, but the test centers almost always have a clock at the reception desk so that you can keep track during your breaks. Since it sounds like you've already been timing your breaks, I have a feeling that you'll be completely fine with that part of things.

You obviously have limited time to get used to the countdown clock, but if it helps at all, you could write down some benchmarks so that you have a sense of whether you're ahead or behind of a two-minute pace: when you start the 6th question, you should have 65 minutes left, when you start the 11th question, you should have 55 minutes left, and so on. I definitely don't advocate using these benchmarks strictly (there's absolutely zero harm in being a little bit "behind" early in the test, since it's worthwhile to be a little bit extra-careful on the first batch of questions), but a chart *might* help you to feel like you know where you stand in terms of timing.

No pressure, though--some test-takers love benchmarks, others feel that it adds extra stress.

It sounds like you've studied a ton, so please be confident in your abilities and your preparation. The real exam isn't really any different than the GMATPrep, so trust your skills and don't let yourself get rattled by the environment or by any wacky questions you might see.

Now please go kick some butt, and tell us a triumphant story in a couple of days! :-D


Cheers Gmatninja!! yeah i was thinking about that last night as the next step.. the chart may be the next solution to keep track of time rather than the timer. i think the constant looking at the timer and calculating really gets to you..

Yeah mate ive really studied my heart and soul out for this one and i am really cutting it fine with the deadlines so i want to ace the exam. I will drop my review points across post the exam. Nothing much i can do now in the last 2 days except look at the finer details of the exam!

Thanks for the words of encouragement they mean a lot! :lol:
Re: Is there no watch allowed in the GMAT! FTW?!?!   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2012, 22:16
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Not allowed to take GMAT nksbits 3 28 Sep 2013, 22:10
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Wasn't allowed to sit for the GMAT exam sienab 2 06 Apr 2013, 12:13
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Name mismatch, but allowed to take GMAT kapsycumm 2 14 Mar 2013, 11:41
Using my own stop watch during exam, is it allowed? Lstadt 3 27 Feb 2012, 13:16
DoesGMAT allow Carry forwd of Remaining time frm math to eng abhi2912 4 29 Aug 2005, 07:44
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is there no watch allowed in the GMAT! FTW?!?!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.