Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Dec 2014, 14:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is there such a thing as starting too early?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 363

Kudos [?]: 1479 [0], given: 209

GMAT ToolKit User
Is there such a thing as starting too early? [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 09:41
Expert's post
I accidentally stumbled upon this forum when I was looking for something else, and boy, I've been hooked ever since.

I just had a quick question.

I am not going to be taking the GMAT until December. However, August to December, I am going to be extremely busy with the exception of a few breaks, and I have almost a month at my disposal right now. So I thought I should start preparing for the GMAT now instead of procrastinating. However, some of my friends who took the GMAT were of the opinion that starting too early wouldn't be beneficial, and might in fact be detrimental in some ways. I am aiming for a 750 on the GMAT, and hopefully, that's a realistic target.

Do you think that my idea of intense study during these two months followed by periodic review of concepts and doing practice tests would be a good idea? Or should I put off the studying for a bit more?

I've received conflicting opinions on this issue and I would like some input from you guys!

Thanks in advance :)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 37

Re: Is there such a thing as starting too early? [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 11:41
hi whiplash, I think this is a common question that some folks face and I truly believe that it depends on how you are and how you study. For me, cramming in a month (or two) will never work because that's just not how I perform. I like long-term study and shorter period of studying time per study session because that's what has proved to me that'll work. A 750 is an ambitious goal, but if you have the heart and knowledge to do it, you can get it. One good way to think about your question is how you studied for the SAT because GMAT is pretty similar to SAT. If you crammed and crammed the last month and scored over 2150, by all means cram away for GMAT. But if you did a prolonged study of SAT and scored high, I'd say to do the same for GMAT.
Expert Post
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is there such a thing as starting too early? [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 11:44
Expert's post
Thanks for your response bakfed.

For the SATs, I studied only for around 2 weeks in an intensive manner and I did well. But I always had this lingering feeling that I might have done much better had I prepared more efficiently.

I think I might just review some material casually for a while now and then study with focus for around a month now and in the days leading up to my test date.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 16

[#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 15:05
study as early as you can, from a person who currently studying and will be taking it in August after six months of study...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

[#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 15:27
I wished I studied for my SAT's, maybe I wouldn't have had to take it twice. (Although I ended up with a decent score anyway)

There are certain subjects that we study for and just forget the second we finish our finals. For example, you can ask me basic physics questions and I wouldn't remember how to do them. If too much time passes by, it is much easier to forget subjects we aren't interested in. (So you might need to factor that in to your study date. ) But honestly, you can always re-read and relearn concepts when you have extra time (even though this is a huge bore); however, you might not have the time if you start too late. (Which is one of my biggest problems)
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 7

Re: Is there such a thing as starting too early? [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 23:43
Like others have already said, it's very individual and depends on many factors. GMAT IMO is not so much about actual knowledge but rather about your ability to understand and use relatively simple concepts under limited time constraints.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is there such a thing as starting too early? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 00:56
I think the biggest problem with starting too early is that you might get tired. I think 4 months (with ocasional breaks) should do. I am by no means a fast learner and I always need time 4 the conceptsto sink in. Yet 4 monthshave been enough. I think actually they were too much. In the 2 weeks leading up to the test I was a walking zombi.I felt very very tired. I think that 1 week more ofstudying would have destroyed me.

However, don't start "preparing just a bit" and then later more thoroughly. When you study, study hard and very seriously.
By all means get MGMAT Quant books and SC and Powerscore CR bible. My adice would be for you to start with verbal. I started with Quant uet by the time I finished verbal I already forgot most quant formulas and tricks

All the best :)

P.S Got a 740

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

If my post helped you : KUDOS KUDOS KUDOS

Expert Post
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is there such a thing as starting too early? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 05:45
Expert's post
Thanks a lot for your input guys! I really appreciate it! :)
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2425

Kudos [?]: 10483 [0], given: 3786

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Is there such a thing as starting too early? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 07:27
Expert's post
whiplash2411 wrote:
I accidentally stumbled upon this forum when I was looking for something else, and boy, I've been hooked ever since.

I am not going to be taking the GMAT until December. However, August to December, I am going to be extremely busy with the exception of a few breaks, and I have almost a month at my disposal right now. So I thought I should start preparing for the GMAT now instead of procrastinating. However, some of my friends who took the GMAT were of the opinion that starting too early wouldn't be beneficial, and might in fact be detrimental in some ways. I am aiming for a 750 on the GMAT, and hopefully, that's a realistic target.

Do you think that my idea of intense study during these two months followed by periodic review of concepts and doing practice tests would be a good idea? Or should I put off the studying for a bit more?

I've received conflicting opinions on this issue and I would like some input from you guys!

Welcome to GMAT Club!

I'd say you don't want to start prepping more than 6 months out from your test date, so if December is your date, it is OK to start now.
I would start slower and then rev up; do a lot of review/error logging as with such a time span you are likely to forget a number of things.
Don't dive into tests before you cover a good portion of the material - you may burn through them too fast.

However, there is not really a wrong approach. Hard word pays off either way :wink:

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Expert Post
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is there such a thing as starting too early? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 07:58
Expert's post
Thank you bb! I appreciate your input!!

bb wrote:
whiplash2411 wrote:

Welcome to GMAT Club!

I'd say you don't want to start prepping more than 6 months out from your test date, so if December is your date, it is OK to start now.
I would start slower and then rev up; do a lot of review/error logging as with such a time span you are likely to forget a number of things.
Don't dive into tests before you cover a good portion of the material - you may burn through them too fast.

However, there is not really a wrong approach. Hard word pays off either way :wink:
Re: Is there such a thing as starting too early?   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2010, 07:58