Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 01:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is this good as an example of leadership? My chances?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Is this good as an example of leadership? My chances? [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2005, 13:59
Hi,
I will be applying to Haas, Anderson and Santa Clara University this fall.

Profile:
- Undergraduate (Computer Science)from a top school in India, gpa :around 3.5
- Master's in Computer Science from Ohio State:gpa 3.9
- 6 years in industry(5 years in a big company)
- Gmat : 730
- displayed leadership during some projects, like leading the team(though
not in a formal role as I dont have people reporting to me)
- when manager had to go on a short leave during a critical time of a project, I was assigned to take his responsibilities

1. How do you guys see my chances?

2. One of the essay questions is
" Describe the most significant way in which you have demonstrated leadership."
I was thiking of setting my essay apart from typical work related leaderships.
Here is what I was thiking about.
Last year, my sister decided to get married in India in 10 days. I flew back and was incharge of all management. Arranging a wedding in India in 8 days is a very challenging job since they are very elaborate (1000 guests) and typically need at least a couple of months of planning. It involved budget management, forming teams of people(around 15) dedicated to tasks(invitations, catering) managing and motivating them(asking elders to do some task without offfending can be a challenge), negotiating contracts, putting out fires because of many unexpected things that are bound to happen.
I am thinking of puting this as an example of my leadership. Alternatively(or in addition to this) I am thinking of putting my experiences when my
manager had to go on leave at a critical stage of a project of great importance and he assigned me to take care of his responsibilities in his abscence.
What do you think about this?
Please share your insights.
Thanks a lot
ND
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is this good as an example of leadership? My chances? [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2005, 15:25
Expert's post
ND wrote:
Hi,
I will be applying to Haas, Anderson and Santa Clara University this fall.

Profile:
- Undergraduate (Computer Science)from a top school in India, gpa :around 3.5
- Master's in Computer Science from Ohio State:gpa 3.9
- 6 years in industry(5 years in a big company)
- Gmat : 730
- displayed leadership during some projects, like leading the team(though
not in a formal role as I dont have people reporting to me)
- when manager had to go on a short leave during a critical time of a project, I was assigned to take his responsibilities

1. How do you guys see my chances?

2. One of the essay questions is
" Describe the most significant way in which you have demonstrated leadership."
I was thiking of setting my essay apart from typical work related leaderships.
Here is what I was thiking about.
Last year, my sister decided to get married in India in 10 days. I flew back and was incharge of all management. Arranging a wedding in India in 8 days is a very challenging job since they are very elaborate (1000 guests) and typically need at least a couple of months of planning. It involved budget management, forming teams of people(around 15) dedicated to tasks(invitations, catering) managing and motivating them(asking elders to do some task without offfending can be a challenge), negotiating contracts, putting out fires because of many unexpected things that are bound to happen.
I am thinking of puting this as an example of my leadership. Alternatively(or in addition to this) I am thinking of putting my experiences when my
manager had to go on leave at a critical stage of a project of great importance and he assigned me to take care of his responsibilities in his abscence.
What do you think about this?
Please share your insights.
Thanks a lot
ND

You have a competitive profile for the schools on your list.

I would only use the wedding example if you have used other essays to demonstrate professional leadership. Also realize, that I can't really comment because I don't know what else you could use other than this example.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Is this good as an example of leadership? My chances? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2005, 15:48
Hi Linda,
Thanks a lot for your response.
I know I feel very excited about the wedding example because of emotional factors, thats why feedback from a third person is very helpful
before I get carried away :-D
Here is the alternate leadership example I am considering.
"I have lead our team of four in a 1 and 1/2 year project acting as a contact between the team and our manager. At the time of our final milestone,
At the time of our final milestone,manager had to take a short leave because of unavoidable reasons.
This milestone was extremely important, and there were stringent criteria for allowing this code to be allowed in the common software. Meeting these
criteria at that time seemed very challenging. Failure to make it during a small window of 1 week, would mean all our work will have to wait another 6-8 months for next window to open and thus costing us valuable market advantage and a possiblility that the project will be deemed a failure.
manager put me in charge of managing our portion of the project while he was away.
During this time I represented our team to other teams. Coordinated efforts for meeting various criterion. The number of bugs in the project presented a big challenge, it seemed like a highly challenging task to reduce the number of bugs to very low levels demanded. I delegated the work to the team and motivated them to fix the bugs, realized that we could do it with sharing knowledge and expertise among the team members. I arranged regular meetings between engineers so they had could share their insights in the bugs that others were working on. When manager returned from his leave, our team had not only met all the criteria but also had the least number of bugs among all teams.
Manager passed on the praises that he got for our team's performance in
a senior management meeting to me and handed me other rewards."
Let me know what your feel about this.
Thanks
ND
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is this good as an example of leadership? My chances? [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2005, 12:05
Expert's post
ND wrote:
Hi Linda,
Thanks a lot for your response.
I know I feel very excited about the wedding example because of emotional factors, thats why feedback from a third person is very helpful
before I get carried away :-D
Here is the alternate leadership example I am considering.
"I have lead our team of four in a 1 and 1/2 year project acting as a contact between the team and our manager. At the time of our final milestone,
At the time of our final milestone,manager had to take a short leave because of unavoidable reasons.
This milestone was extremely important, and there were stringent criteria for allowing this code to be allowed in the common software. Meeting these
criteria at that time seemed very challenging. Failure to make it during a small window of 1 week, would mean all our work will have to wait another 6-8 months for next window to open and thus costing us valuable market advantage and a possiblility that the project will be deemed a failure.
manager put me in charge of managing our portion of the project while he was away.
During this time I represented our team to other teams. Coordinated efforts for meeting various criterion. The number of bugs in the project presented a big challenge, it seemed like a highly challenging task to reduce the number of bugs to very low levels demanded. I delegated the work to the team and motivated them to fix the bugs, realized that we could do it with sharing knowledge and expertise among the team members. I arranged regular meetings between engineers so they had could share their insights in the bugs that others were working on. When manager returned from his leave, our team had not only met all the criteria but also had the least number of bugs among all teams.
Manager passed on the praises that he got for our team's performance in
a senior management meeting to me and handed me other rewards."
Let me know what your feel about this.
Thanks
ND

ND,

THis example, as you say is much more typical; on the other hand you want to show professional leadership and responsbility and this topic would do it (although you should also provide more depth and a little insight about what you learned from the experience.) So if you have opportunity to bring out this example in other essays, then the wedding story may be a great option for responding to this question or some other questions.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog