Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 01:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is this good enough to apply UIUC MSF?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 630 Q50 V24
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Is this good enough to apply UIUC MSF? [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2014, 22:08
Hello,

I'm trying to apply at UIUC MSF.

I just took GMAT and received 630.
Quant: 50
Verbal: 24
Integrated Reasoning: 7

I majored in Finance in undergrad and overall GPA is 3.11. But, since UIUC MSF program cares only last two years, my two year GPA is around 3.50.

Currently, I'm working at an accounting firm as a staff accountant. I'm kind of worried because
1) my GMAT verbal score is low.
2) I do not have any investment related work experience.

Should I take the GMAT again to compensate the problems? Or, is this enough? Or, are there some other schools I may apply for MSF?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Is this good enough to apply UIUC MSF? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2014, 00:01
I am not very sure about UIUC considering only last two years GPA for the MSF program. Still your GPA will not be a problem for you. Your GMAT score on the other hand is low, but the high quant score may give you a decent chance at the MSF program. You do not need to have investment related work experience to get into the program. Many candidates who join the program are engineering/science graduates. If you are an international applicant, you cannot apply this year. So, try giving GMAT another shot and improving your score. If you are from US, you should start working on your application.

Good Luck!
www.interviewbay.com
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: Is this good enough to apply UIUC MSF? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2014, 19:59
sunyon86 wrote:
Hello,

I majored in Finance in undergrad and overall GPA is 3.11. But, since UIUC MSF program cares only last two years, my two year GPA is around 3.50.

Currently, I'm working at an accounting firm as a staff accountant. I'm kind of worried because

Should I take the GMAT again to compensate the problems? Or, is this enough? Or, are there some other schools I may apply for MSF?

630 and 3.1 GPA is fine. I am going to assume you are international since your verbal is low compared to the quant section. Where also are you looking to apply to?

If you don't require sponsorship you will very likely get into UIUC with those scores. You can get in elsewhere also.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 630 Q50 V24

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Is this good enough to apply UIUC MSF? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2014, 21:15
MSFHQ wrote:
sunyon86 wrote:
Hello,

630 and 3.1 GPA is fine. I am going to assume you are international since your verbal is low compared to the quant section. Where also are you looking to apply to?

If you don't require sponsorship you will very likely get into UIUC with those scores. You can get in elsewhere also.

It's little a shame... I live in Illinois. I am an immigrant, and received citizenship a year ago. The funny thing is I received 33 verbal on MGMAT. Too bad I got low verbal score.
A domestic applicant with low verbal score... Would this be a problem?

I'm planning to apply UIUC and IIT. I haven't thought about going out-of-state, but if I can go to a school equal to or better than UIUC MSF, I'm willing to go out-of-state.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: Is this good enough to apply UIUC MSF? [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 10:49
sunyon86 wrote:
MSFHQ wrote:
sunyon86 wrote:
Hello,

It's little a shame... I live in Illinois. I am an immigrant, and received citizenship a year ago. The funny thing is I received 33 verbal on MGMAT. Too bad I got low verbal score.
A domestic applicant with low verbal score... Would this be a problem?

I'm planning to apply UIUC and IIT. I haven't thought about going out-of-state, but if I can go to a school equal to or better than UIUC MSF, I'm willing to go out-of-state.

If you have citizenship then you are golden. I would just work on the verbal part if you have time. UIUC is a fine school, not bashing it. I think you should be fine at UIUC. Other Chicago/IL schools to look at would be Loyola Chicago and DePaul. Personally, I would go with Loyola as it is right in the middle of the city and has local connections. Might be a good back up type school also.

Welcome to the US and congrats on receiving your citizenship.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GRE 1: 1580 Q800 V780
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Is this good enough to apply UIUC MSF? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2014, 20:38
For other schools... it depends on what you want. If you are focusing on financial markets (trading, risk management, etc.), I would look at IIT and the new program starting at UIC. If you are more focused on corporate finance, UIUC's MSF would be perfect.

That said, the people I talked to at UIC said they have been placing a lot of students at trading shops and have really developed those connections. It sounded like they were getting applicants with high 600s. Maybe they will lower the bar since it is a new program, but if I would retake the GMAT and apply to all these places if I were you. Hope it works out well!
Re: Is this good enough to apply UIUC MSF?   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2014, 20:38