Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 20:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is this just me?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Is this just me? [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2008, 12:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I do not know what to do anymore! One day, I can solve many math and English questions without any problem. Other day, I stuck on simple problem. Thus, I think the problem is not that I do not know how to solve the problem, the problem is me. I just wondering if you have the same experience, please let me know how do you tackle this problem. Thanks
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is this just me? [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2008, 20:05
This post received
KUDOS
Not to the extent you mentioned but something similar. I used to prepare after work and on days I worked longer hours my preparation used to suffer. But mostly it was mistakes due carelessness.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Is this just me? [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 05:35
This post received
KUDOS
I have had the same problem you are describing. For me I think it has been because of the environment I was in, or because of the state of mind I was in after a long day at work. I have been trying to stay consistent with my study times and places and that has helped. It is obviously harder to do well on questions when you are mentally exhausted and at a coffee shop with music playing and people talking loudly vs. a library in the morning with a fresh mind.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is this just me? [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 13:58
This post received
KUDOS
700 i feel the same way. even worst. one day i am all over the books, another day it feels like i cant even add two numbers together. One day i am solving 700+ questions, another day i am stuck with simple rate, or number property problem.
Just keep pushing until it becomes your second nature. Hopefully the actual exam will be one of those "good first days".
good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Is this just me? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2008, 06:14
This post received
KUDOS
Yep, the same for me.

One day I can solve all problems and I don´t even need to think twice and other days I strugle with very basic questions. I´ve noticed that during work days it´s worst. During weekends I am more relaxed so I do not make so many silly mistakes.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is this just me? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2008, 15:16
Sure. The same as all of you. Obviously, once you have master the basics the most important factor is concentration. And indeed contration decays after having worked for a long time.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth, Stern, Haas

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Is this just me? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2008, 21:29
you've just described me, sometimes I get 80% right answers next day i think that I improoved my skills and hope for 90 or higher results but get 60 or 70%, and it discourages me each time. I think when we concentrate our attention on some really tough problems we loose our basic skills.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Is this just me? [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2008, 09:11
Depending on your time management, taking half a minute to clear your head can be useful. As can a "cheatsheet" written out during the test, or a better method of solving the problems(duh). 99% of the time, there's a "trick" to the problem. Sometimes taking a step back from the problem itself and identifying that trick makes all the difference. And it's quicker :P

One thing that you need to bear in mind is your mental state as well. Mental or physical fatigue are HUGE factors in testtaking ability. If your test center has a place to store your stuff like mine did, BRING FOOD. I myself am hypoglycemic, so this is partly specific to me. Eating a snack every break you can not only keeps your blood sugar up, but gives you something to concentrate on to clear your head.

It's tough, but try to stick to your testtaking status when you arent taking the real test as well. If you always practice when you're tired, your scores will be deflated from their baseline. This isn't going to be good for your confidence in the long run, despite the extra study time it gives. Might also want to look at placement of problems that you get wrong... If you think about it, STRINGS of right or wrong answers are more statistically unlikely than in a test with homogenously difficult problems; every problem you get wrong will be making the next problem easier, so you should not have a long string of right/wrong answers after the beginning of the test. If you've got strings of wrong answers, there is probably a correlation between problems- whether it be fatigue, or letting longer problems affect your stress level for subsequent questions.

As sad as this sounds... the biggest difference for me was food. Having a snack to concentrate on had a consistent effect on the volatility of my score.
Re: Is this just me?   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2008, 09:11