Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 19:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is TOEFL Mandatory for US Business Schools?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q43 V24
GMAT 2: 600 Q46 V27
GPA: 3.48
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Is TOEFL Mandatory for US Business Schools? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 07:53
Forgive me if I am asking some basic questions here.
I am an Indian techie and have a rich experience of 4 years now. Planning to take MBA course next year fall which will make my total work exp as 5 years.

I have given GMAT 4 times with a max score of 600. Above-average academic background.
Not yet attempted TOEFL.

Can anyone please help me with answers to below queries?

1) Is TOEFL mandatory for me?
2) How soon do i get the scores for TOEFL?
3) Which are the best B schools to apply for my profile?

Thanks in advance!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: Is TOEFL Mandatory for US Business Schools? [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 04:00
Hi pskharche,

Regarding the TOEFL:

1) It depends on the school. At some schools e.g. Booth, they waive TOEFL if your undergraduate degree was delivered in English. At others e.g. Haas, unless you are from a native speaking country such as the US, Canada, Australia etc., you HAVE to take the TOEFL.

2) It generally takes about 7-10 days to receive your unofficial scores online, and about 4-5 weeks to receive the official scores via mail.

3) Considering that you have not really provided any actual content about your profile, I would not want to answer this question. If you provided a more detailed profile, I would be happy to chip in with my two cents.

Hope my answers help!

Cheers,
west

pskharche wrote:
I am an Indian techie and have a rich experience of 4 years now. Planning to take MBA course next year fall which will make my total work exp as 5 years.

I have given GMAT 4 times with a max score of 600. Above-average academic background.
Not yet attempted TOEFL.

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q43 V24
GMAT 2: 600 Q46 V27
GPA: 3.48
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Is TOEFL Mandatory for US Business Schools? [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2012, 08:46
Thanks for this!
My profile is -
600 GMAT score (maximum in my 4 attempts)
IT Engineer from Pune University
4 years industry experience (till now)
3.2 GPA on 4.

Could you please evaluate?

westsidah408 wrote:
Hi pskharche,

Regarding the TOEFL:

1) It depends on the school. At some schools e.g. Booth, they waive TOEFL if your undergraduate degree was delivered in English. At others e.g. Haas, unless you are from a native speaking country such as the US, Canada, Australia etc., you HAVE to take the TOEFL.

2) It generally takes about 7-10 days to receive your unofficial scores online, and about 4-5 weeks to receive the official scores via mail.

3) Considering that you have not really provided any actual content about your profile, I would not want to answer this question. If you provided a more detailed profile, I would be happy to chip in with my two cents.

Hope my answers help!

Cheers,
west

pskharche wrote:

Not yet attempted TOEFL.

Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: Is TOEFL Mandatory for US Business Schools? [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 01:20
Hi again pskharche,

There are many threads available on this website (and others) about how to select the "right" school for you. Some of the things you would have to consider there are stuff like location, their placement into your desired post-MBA career, etc.

The only real thing I can think of right now is that the Indian tech/engineer background is in what is known as an "overrepresented" pool, i.e. there are MANY applicants to top schools with similar BASIC profiles as yours. You would have to stand out with good stories in your essays. If you could, the GMAT should be 700+ since many of the applicants in that pool are scoring 720+ and 600 would really stand out against those, though negatively. That said, you have already taken it 4 times and if you feel you can't improve, then you would have to strengthen other parts of your application.

Please keep in mind that I am NOT a professional profile evaluator or admissions expert (I haven't applied to b-school yet!), so take my comments with a grain of salt. There are threads for profile evaluations but you would have to provide a lot more info than that, such as, industry, leadership roles, extra curriculars, desired post-MBA career (and location) etc.

Good luck and if you have any more questions about the TOEFL or anything else, shoot me a DM or just reply to the thread.

pskharche wrote:
Thanks for this!
My profile is -
600 GMAT score (maximum in my 4 attempts)
IT Engineer from Pune University
4 years industry experience (till now)
3.2 GPA on 4.

Could you please evaluate?

westsidah408 wrote:
Hi pskharche,

Regarding the TOEFL:

Hope my answers help!

Cheers,
west

pskharche wrote:

Not yet attempted TOEFL.

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Is TOEFL Mandatory for US Business Schools? [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2012, 07:24
The TOEFL or its substitutes is mandatory in most leading programs, except MIT Sloan.
Regarding your specific background, it is best to check the school website and read about waivers options.
Re: Is TOEFL Mandatory for US Business Schools?   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2012, 07:24