Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Does work exp gained during bachelor add up overall work exp

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Does work exp gained during bachelor add up overall work exp [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2011, 07:36
Hello everyone,
I am new around here but I already want to say that after reading a few stories I gained a lot of insight on what GMAT is all about. I am planning to take the GMAT in April.

I am experienced in managing people, helping my parents with the company since it's beginnings. At age 8, I was running, along with my 2 years older brother, a small FMCG retail outlet, from opening hours at 7 A.M. to closing hours at 9 P.M, where we didn't only worked but also had a lot of fun. Since then, I helped my parents every summer, from when I was 8 years old, to now when I am 21, and occupied various positions, from merchandiser to shop manager to distribution or warehouse manager and generally all job positions you can find in a retail and wholesale company.

After working on every job position, since 2009 I have been legally employed in the company (until then I was just "helping my parents") as a Commercial Manager, a position which I feel I was rightfully entitled to, considering that I have worked on and gained experience from every position in the company.

This year I will finish my undergraduate degree and after completing my PwC internship, which I won at a Business Case Study Competition, and I expect to work for 2 years at a Big 4 auditing company and to experience life in the corporate world, and would then like to apply for an MBA at the Haas School of Business after which I would like to use my theoretical and practical knowledge in working in the management and strategic consulting industry.

After giving you some details about me, I would now like to ask you if the business school recruiter would consider the 2 years I worked full-time during my undergraduate studies, not counting the work I cannot prove with legal paperwork, as valid work experience? And after another 2 years in the corporate world would I satisfy the MBA's requirements on work experience?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by alex139rom on 29 Dec 2011, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 401 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Is work exp gained during bachelor add up overall work exp [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2011, 08:01
This post received
KUDOS
alex139rom wrote:
Hello everyone,
I am new around here but I already want to say that after reading a few stories I gained a lot of insight on what GMAT is all about. I am planning to take the GMAT in April.

I am experienced in managing people, helping my parents with the company since it's beginnings. At age 8, I was running, along with my 2 years older brother, a small FMCG retail outlet, from opening hours at 7 A.M. to closing hours at 9 P.M, where we didn't only worked but also had a lot of fun. Since then, I helped my parents every summer, from when I was 8 years old, to now when I am 21, and occupied various positions, from merchandiser to shop manager to distribution or warehouse manager and generally all job positions you can find in a retail and wholesale company.

After working on every job position, since 2009 I have been legally employed in the company (until then I was just "helping my parents") as a Commercial Manager, a position which I feel I was rightfully entitled to, considering that I have worked on and gained experience from every position in the company.

This year I will finish my undergraduate degree and after completing my PwC internship, which I won at a Business Case Study Competition, and I expect to work for 2 years at a Big 4 auditing company and to experience life in the corporate world, and would then like to apply for an MBA at the Haas School of Business after which I would like to use my theoretical and practical knowledge in working in the management and strategic consulting industry.
After giving you some details about me, I would now like to ask you if the business school recruiter would consider the 2 years I worked full-time during my undergraduate studies, not counting the work I cannot prove with legal paperwork, as valid work experience? And after another 2 years in the corporate world would I satisfy the MBA's requirements on work experience?

Thank you for your time.

LOL @ the bolded. The information isn't funny, but the way you present it sounds like you're writing your career goals essay for an adcom. No need to be so formal around here.

Anyways, to answer your question...the work you've done in your family business will be considered working during college and/or summer internships. This does not count toward post MBA years of work experience. However, it seems as though you have learned a great deal from working with your fam's business so most definitely use stories and examples to answer essay questions. Your experiences with the family business could definitely be used to answer questions about the people and experiences that have shaped you as a person.

While the average years of post collegiate work experience @ matriculation is 4-6 for most schools, that doesn't mean you can't apply with 2 years. You simply need to make the case for why you need to do the MBA at that point in your career and why you're prepared to do so. If you can do this effectively there is no reason why you can't be successful as a younger applicant.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Does work exp gained during bachelor add up overall work exp [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2011, 08:12
Do you think that kickstarting a career in consulting would be a good enough reason for the B-Schools?

P.S.: got it on the formal part :-D
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 401 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Does work exp gained during bachelor add up overall work exp [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2011, 08:20
alex139rom wrote:
Do you think that kickstarting a career in consulting would be a good enough reason for the B-Schools?

P.S.: got it on the formal part :-D

I'm going to tell you what I've told everyone else who's asked this kind of question. Don't worry about a reason that's good enough for b-schools. Your reason for wanting the MBA is your own, not theirs.

A little about me. I've worked in the CPG industry in the sales function since graduation. The most logical reason for me to want an MBA is to make the move into brand management at a similar CPG. Well that's not what I want to do. I want to do something completely different. I stated as such in my essays. My reasons were compelling because they were HONEST. I was able to write convincingly about my goals and how an MBA would help me achieve them because I believed what I was writing.

So enter a career that YOU want to be in and knock it out of the park. Participate in the ECs that interest YOU and knock it out of the park. Write about goals that interest you and....knock it out of the park. Do those things and you will have a compelling reason for Why MBA.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Re: Does work exp gained during bachelor add up overall work exp   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2011, 08:20