Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 03:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is x > 0 ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 191 [1] , given: 22

Is x > 0 ? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 07:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (02:21) correct 57% (00:54) wrong based on 200 sessions
Is x > 0 ?

(1) x < x^2
(2) x < x^3

Can some one explain how do we eliminate choice "C" for this DS question using plug in values

thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If the Q jogged your mind do Kudos me : )

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3599

Kudos [?]: 28590 [2] , given: 2803

Re: DS Algebra [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 07:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rxs0005 wrote:
Is x > 0

x < x^2

x < x^3

Can some one explain how do we eliminate choice "C" for this DS question using plug in values

thanks

On DS questions when plugging numbers, goal is to prove that the statement is not sufficient. So we should try to get a YES answer with one chosen number(s) and a NO with another.

Question: is x>0?

When considering statements together we can see that YES answer is easy to get: x=2>0, so answer YES --> (x=2)<(x^2=4)<(x^3=8);

Now, for NO answer we should pick negative x --> ANY negative x would be less than x^2 as x^2 would be positive, so satisfying (1) is easy. Next, in order negative x to be less than x^3, it shoul be a fraction in the range (-1,0) --> x=-\frac{1}{2}<0, so answer NO --> (x=-\frac{1}{2})<(x^3=-\frac{1}{8})<(x^2=\frac{1}{4}).

We have two different answers, not sufficient.

Answer: E.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28590 [1] , given: 2803

Re: DS Algebra [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 13:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Archit143 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
onedayill wrote:
Can't I write first equation

x < x2 as 1 < x.

Never multiply (or reduce) an inequality by variable (or by an expression with variable) if you don't know the sign of it or are not certain that variable (or expression with variable) doesn't equal to zero.

So you can not divide both parts of inequality x<x^2 by x as you don't know the sign of this unknown: if x>0 you should write 1<x BUT if x<0 you should write 1>x.

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunnuel

With ref to your above post i would like to contradictory expalnation from DS section of OG 13 question no 52
TO make things easier i ll post the question

If X and Y are positive , Is X<10<Y?
1. X<Y and XY = 100
2. X^2 <100< Y^2

In the explanation part
2nd stem is directly reduced to X<10<Y

Isnt your explanation contradictory to above expalantion of OG
Pls help in getting my concept right.

First of all, they are not reducing, they are taking square root. Also, notice that the stem says that x and y are positive numbers.

P.S. This question is discussed here: if-x-and-y-are-positive-is-x-10-y-139873.html

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: DS Algebra [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 07:35
(1) x < x^2 so x can be less than -1 and greater than 1 !
insufficient!
(2) x < x^3 so x is greater than -1 so it can be negative or positive
insufficent!

(1) and (2) only said than x is greater than -1 so x can be positive or negative....
insufficient!

ANS:. E
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 22

Re: DS Algebra [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 08:22
Bunuel

thanks for your patience with your explanation !

cheers

R

If the Q jogged your mind do Kudos me : )

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 5

Re: DS Algebra [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 12:33

x < x2 as 1 < x.

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 32

Re: DS Algebra [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 12:45
onedayill wrote:

x < x2 as 1 < x.

I'm assuming you are trying to divide both sides by x. The problem with an inequality is that you don't know if x is positive or negative. If it is negative, you need to change the sign to greater than in this case.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 29

Re: DS Algebra [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 13:32
rxs0005 wrote:
Is x > 0

x < x^2

x < x^3

thanks

Can I deduce as following :
1) x < x^2
holds true for x > 1 and x < 0
Thus, not sufficient

2) x < x^3
holds true for x > 0 and 0 < x < 1
Not sufficient

No unique value is determined when combining 1 & 2.
Thus, E.

Please correct me if I am incorrect in the above logic.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 439 [0], given: 32

Re: DS Algebra [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 14:16
Orange08 wrote:
rxs0005 wrote:
Is x > 0

x < x^2

x < x^3

thanks

1) x < x^2
Thus, not sufficient

2) x < x^3
Not sufficient

Thus, E.

You are correct.

Statement 1: Positive fractions will never make this statement true. The square of a positive fraction is always smaller than the original fraction itself.

Statement 2: Only positive numbers greater than 1 make this statement true. Therefore, by combining them, there is only one possibility to make both true: Numebrs greater than 1, which allows us to answer the original question.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28590 [0], given: 2803

Re: DS Algebra [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 22:43
Expert's post
onedayill wrote:

x < x2 as 1 < x.

Never multiply (or reduce) an inequality by variable (or by an expression with variable) if you don't know the sign of it or are not certain that variable (or expression with variable) doesn't equal to zero.

So you can not divide both parts of inequality x<x^2 by x as you don't know the sign of this unknown: if x>0 you should write 1<x BUT if x<0 you should write 1>x.

Hope it helps.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: DS Algebra [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 22:46
Expert's post
jallenmorris wrote:
Orange08 wrote:
rxs0005 wrote:
Is x > 0

x < x^2

x < x^3

thanks

1) x < x^2
Thus, not sufficient

2) x < x^3
Not sufficient

Thus, E.

You are correct.

Statement 1: Positive fractions will never make this statement true. The square of a positive fraction is always smaller than the original fraction itself.

Statement 2: Only positive numbers greater than 1 make this statement true. Therefore, by combining them, there is only one possibility to make both true: Numebrs greater than 1, which allows us to answer the original question.

No your ranges for (2) are not correct, it should be: -1<x<0 or x>1. Negative fractions from the range (-1,0) also make statement (2) true. Below is complete solution:

Is x>0?

(1) x<x^2 --> x*(x-1)>0 --> x<0 or x>1 --> ---------0----1----. Not sufficient as if x is in the green zone answer is YES but if x is in the red zone answer is NO.

(2) x<x^3 --> x(x-1)(x+1)>0 --> -1<x<0 or x>1 --> ----(-1)----(0)----(1)----. Not sufficient as if x is in the green zone answer is YES but if x is in the red zone answer is NO.

(1)+(2) Intersection of the ranges from (1) and (2) is:
----(-1)----(0)----(1)----
Again not sufficient as if x is in the green zone answer is YES but if x is in the red zone answer is NO.

Hope it helps.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 439 [0], given: 32

Re: DS Algebra [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2010, 05:26
You're right. I hadn't thought of negative fractions. -1/2 ^3 = -1/8, which is greater than -1/2. Thanks.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 18

Re: DS Algebra [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 07:39
+1 for E...took more than 3 mins though..
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: DS Algebra [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 12:49
Bunuel wrote:

You are correct.

No your ranges for (2) are not correct, it should be: -1<x<0 or x>1. Negative fractions from the range (-1,0) also make statement (2) true. Below is complete solution:

Is x>0?

(1) x<x^2 --> x*(1-x)>0 --> x<0 or x>1 --> ---------0----1----. Not sufficient as if x is in the green zone answer is YES but if x is in the red zone answer is NO.

(2) x<x^3 --> x(x-1)(x+1)>0 --> -1<x<0 or x>1 --> ----(-1)----(0)----(1)----. Not sufficient as if x is in the green zone answer is YES but if x is in the red zone answer is NO.

(1)+(2) Intersection of the ranges from (1) and (2) is:
----(-1)----(0)----(1)----
Again not sufficient as if x is in the green zone answer is YES but if x is in the red zone answer is NO.

Hope it helps.[/quote]

Hi Bunuel,

Could you please explain why you're considering only the negative factors while considering x<x^2 --> x*(1-x)>0 --> x<0 or x>1.. From x*(1-x)>0 can't we consider both x and (x-1) to be positive also ?

Similarly for x(x-1)(x+1)>0 --> -1<x<0 or x>1, I seem to be missing your logic.

Thanks
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: DS Algebra [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 13:09
Expert's post
kheba wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Could you please explain why you're considering only the negative factors while considering x<x^2 --> x*(1-x)>0 --> x<0 or x>1.. From x*(1-x)>0 can't we consider both x and (x-1) to be positive also ?

Similarly for x(x-1)(x+1)>0 --> -1<x<0 or x>1, I seem to be missing your logic.

Thanks

Actually, both cases were considered.

x<x^2 --> x*(x-1)>0
x>0 and x-1>0 (x>1) --> x>1;
x<0 and x-1<0 (x<1) --> x<0.

Thus, x<x^2 holds true for x<0 and x>1.

Solving inequalities:
x2-4x-94661.html#p731476
inequalities-trick-91482.html
everything-is-less-than-zero-108884.html
xy-plane-71492.html

Hope it helps.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 67

Re: DS Algebra [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 13:49
Bunuel wrote:
onedayill wrote:

x < x2 as 1 < x.

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunnuel

With ref to your above post i would like to contradictory expalnation from DS section of OG 13 question no 52
TO make things easier i ll post the question

If X and Y are positive , Is X<10<Y?
1. X<Y and XY = 100
2. X^2 <100< Y^2

In the explanation part
2nd stem is directly reduced to X<10<Y

Isnt your explanation contradictory to above expalantion of OG
Pls help in getting my concept right.
Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 67

Re: Is x > 0 ? [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 14:07
Thanks BUnnel
really missed the statement.Sorry

But is it ok to take square root,considering signs are unknown in above scenario.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Is x > 0 ? [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 14:12
Expert's post
Archit143 wrote:
Thanks BUnnel
really missed the statement.Sorry

But is it ok to take square root,considering signs are unknown in above scenario.

If we were not told that x and y are positive numbers, then from x^2<100<y^2, we would have |x|<10<|y| (since \sqrt{x^2}=|x|).

Generally:

A. We can raise both parts of an inequality to an even power if we know that both parts of an inequality are non-negative (the same for taking an even root of both sides of an inequality).
For example:
2<4 --> we can square both sides and write: 2^2<4^2;
0\leq{x}<{y} --> we can square both sides and write: x^2<y^2;

But if either of side is negative then raising to even power doesn't always work.
For example: 1>-2 if we square we'll get 1>4 which is not right. So if given that x>y then we can not square both sides and write x^2>y^2 if we are not certain that both x and y are non-negative.

B. We can always raise both parts of an inequality to an odd power (the same for taking an odd root of both sides of an inequality).
For example:
-2<-1 --> we can raise both sides to third power and write: -2^3=-8<-1=-1^3 or -5<1 --> -5^2=-125<1=1^3;
x<y --> we can raise both sides to third power and write: x^3<y^3.

Hope it helps.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 01-19-2013
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 15

Re: Is x > 0 ? [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 20:50
I don't think that we need plug-in here. It has very easy algebraical solution "solvable" within 80 sec

MGMAT1 - 610
MGMAT2 - 670
MGMAT3 - 640

OMG

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.23
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is x > 0 ? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 06:22
rxs0005 wrote:
Is x > 0 ?
(1) x < x^2
(2) x < x^3

1. x < x^2
Test x = 2: 2 < 4 OK!
Test x = -1: -1 < 1 OK!
Test x = -1/4: -1/4 < -1/16 OK!
INSUFFICIENT!

2. x < x^3
Test x = 2: 2 < 8 OK!
Test x = -1: -1 = -1 NOT OK!
Test x = -1/4: -1/4 < -1/64 OK!
INSUFFICIENT!

Together: When x is negative fraction or x is greater than 2, both inequalities work!

Answer: E

Impossible is nothing to God.

Re: Is x > 0 ?   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2013, 06:22